Good articlon the Troy Nunes site indicating DC has improved his offense | Syracusefan.com

Good articlon the Troy Nunes site indicating DC has improved his offense

CaliCuse

All American
Any improvement is great in my estimationChristmas still hasn't demonstrated an pffense game as reported. I hope the kid is studying hard because if that is true his future inbasketball may stop at this level.:oops:

Since we know what Baye gives us, an improved DC2 means Rak can be.. Rak. A guy who can give you good minutes when he is playing well and provides adequate depth at the 5. If he does not ever amount to more than that - it is dissapointing but its ok. He is part of the orange family and was an important part of a team that went to the final four last year and could be part of two more final four teams in his orange career potentially. While highly regarded out of HS - maybe he just happens to be more of a McNeil or Forth instead of a future NBA bigman.

I'm waiting for someone who knows what they are talking about to say that Coleman has stepped up his DEFENSIVE game. I think we all knew the offensive game would be there once he started to let the game come to him.

Defensively will never be a major strength as DC2 is not a great leaper. If he can do better with positioning and has better confidence on offense and is more decisive and stops bringing the ball so low- he will be a much better player this year.

Defensively will never be a major strength as DC2 is not a great leaper. If he can do better with positioning and has better confidence on offense and is more decisive and stops bringing the ball so low- he will be a much better player this year.
The center in JBs zone doesn't have to be a great leaper, but he has to understand the zone and be the core of it. Craig Forth wasn't a great leaper either, but he was a very solid part of the zone.

If it says that DC2 is now dunking the ball when within five feet of the hoop instead of laying it off the glass, I will be happy.

I don't mind DC2 bringing the ball low. Hes going to operate alot of the high post on both blocks. I am not saying to do it every time but its part of his game. If he can add a quick soft high release low verticle jumpshot and pumpfake with it we will start seeing his dribble alot more. We can worry more when it leads to alot of bad shot selections(not misses), and turnovers. By comparison JG didn't have the faceup game that coleman had yet people will be asking him to put it on the floor and faceup more.

Agree DC2 did need some work on his verticle for rebounding and dunking, but he also got alot of garbage time and found himself battling for weak side rebounds. At center in the zone he won't be rebounding weakside during realtime like he did in the garbage minutes.

Interesting they had DC2 at forward in the blog. They probably didn't mean it but you have to wonder. imo We really don't need offense from Rak with Dajuan, and CJ /Grant/Roberson in the post. Fair will be decently strong like KJo who was a better post up guy as a senior then he got credit for, but 80% of the time he will be just above the high post or on the perimeter unless Grant and Roberson can stretch a defense for him, and handle a few bounces.

The biggest question is which center is ready to play some four? Which one has the best lateral sliding ability?
Baye gets called for alot of sliding fouls into players but he was more likely to try to cut off a driver last year by sliding. People are going to knock the next years big that does play some four but they are making the sacrifice for the team next year.

The center in JBs zone doesn't have to be a great leaper, but he has to understand the zone and be the core of it. Craig Forth wasn't a great leaper either, but he was a very solid part of the zone.

in fairness craig was a legit 7 footer too..

Good for DC2. And not a big surprise that Rak, who's a stretch 4, was getting pushed around in the middle by a legit 280 pound 5. This is nothing new, if you watched Rak play Cooley or Teague/Johnson (Seton Hall) or Adams, etc.

If it says that DC2 is now dunking the ball when within five feet of the hoop instead of laying it off the glass, I will be happy.
That would mean is arms are 5' long and his reach is about 13 feet. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Since we know what Baye gives us, an improved DC2 means Rak can be.. Rak. A guy who can give you good minutes when he is playing well and provides adequate depth at the 5. If he does not ever amount to more than that - it is dissapointing but its ok. He is part of the orange family and was an important part of a team that went to the final four last year and could be part of two more final four teams in his orange career potentially. While highly regarded out of HS - maybe he just happens to be more of a McNeil or Forth instead of a future NBA bigman.
The real sad part is any lack of improvement has to come back to Rak as the reason. I believe he has the athleticism to become a better player for the team and himself down the road.

The real sad part is any lack of improvement has to come back to Rak as the reason. I believe he has the athleticism to become a better player for the team and himself down the road.

No doubt he has a huge upside, but at the 4, not the 5. He can play with his back to the basket, but he's just not bulky enough to play center at the elite college level, let alone the pros. He can play there in a pinch, hence the "stretch 4" designation. But his future is at PF ... including his remaining time at SU. Once our other centers are up and running (as Keita was during the NCAA's last year), Rak can play along side one of our centers and help clean glass and score from 15 feet in. This is exactly where JB had him starting/playing most of last year except for injuries.

At PF, Rak is an agile defender with lift and timing to block shots. On offense, obviously he can run and score in transition. He also has a mid-range shot and a driving bank shot.

At center, he struggles on both offense and defense against quality bigs. Playing guys 6'1o and up, he gets pushed around, has his shot (and even dunks) blocked. This is not b/c he sucks. It's because he's playing out of position against power inside guys that are bigger and stronger. If you get him out in space and have him start shooting and handling more like a forward ... he's an automatic mismatch for most college 4's.

All Rak has to do is get the "5" out of his head and start thinking more like a forward. I think DC'2 improvement this year at center will help him do that ... as more minutes will be available with Grant at the 4.

No doubt he has a huge upside. But I believe it's at the 4, not the 5. He can play with his back to the basket, but he's just not bulky enough to play center at the elite college level, let alone the pros. He can play there in a pinch, hence the "stretch 4" designation. But his future is at PF ... even at SU. Once our other centers are up and running (as Keita was during the NCAA's last year), Rak's time will be spent cleaning glass and blocking shots at PF off the ball.

Rak is an agile defender for his size. He can rebound out of his area and block shots off the ball. On offense, obviously he can run and score in transition. He also has a mid-range shot and a bank shot.

At center, he struggles on both offense and defense against quality bigs. Playing guys 6'1o and up, he gets pushed around, has his shot (and even dunks) blocked. This is not b/c he sucks. It's because he's playing out of position against power inside guys that are bigger and stronger. If you get him out in space and have him start shooting and handling more like a forward ... he's an automatic mismatch for most college 4's.

All Rak has to do is get the "5" out of his head and start thinking more like a forward. I think DC'2 improvement this year at center will help him do that ... as more minutes will be available with Grant at the 4.

I struggle to see Rak adjusting to playing up against the wing. He does well closing out in the corner but I just don't see him "getting it" as it pertains to playing up to guard the shooters on the corner angles. Athletically he is more than capable of getting there it just seems to be a defensive bball iq issue to me. If he could play there, he has shown the ability to take one dribble and attack.

The bigger question is does he give us enough on offense at the four? Can we afford a DC2, Rak, Fair/Grant etc lineup?

I struggle to see Rak adjusting to playing up against the wing. He does well closing out in the corner but I just don't see him "getting it" as it pertains to playing up to guard the shooters on the corner angles. Athletically he is more than capable of getting there it just seems to be a defensive bball iq issue to me. If he could play there, he has shown the ability to take one dribble and attack.

The bigger question is does he give us enough on offense at the four? Can we afford a DC2, Rak, Fair/Grant etc lineup?[/quote]

Good points. I think last year, JB was content to let him play (PF) and develop his offense as long as he played good defense. Invariably it was defensive lapses that got him yanked. Later in the season, the team needed him to move over to center b/c of injuries and slow development of DC2. And he functioned as well as he could there.

This year, Rak is going to have to butter his bread as a forward. With DC2 and Keita eating up most of the 5 minutes, Rak and Grant are going to be trading time at PF. And Grant will be able competition. Rak can score as a forward .. he just needs time and patience to adjust to handling the ball, shooting jumpshots and driving to the rim.

We all recognize that if the light goes on for him at PF ... look out. That's what JB has been waiting for.

The bigger question is does he give us enough on offense at the four? Can we afford a DC2, Rak, Fair/Grant etc lineup?[/quote]

Whether we can afford it is likely not the question. What other alternative do we have? Don't say one of the freshman, because that is a reach. Rak will have the light come on to play PF when he realizes that is his only long term option.

other option? Well other than ennis you could go with DC2, Grant, Fair , MG or Cooney. That wouldn't involve the other frosh. Grant I would prefer to be our sixth man as he showed a ferocious side on the boards . That lineup still goes 6'9, 6'9, 6'8 , 6'6 or 6'4 , 6'3.

other option? Well other than ennis you could go with DC2, Grant, Fair , MG or Cooney. That wouldn't involve the other frosh. Grant I would prefer to be our sixth man as he showed a ferocious side on the boards . That lineup still goes 6'9, 6'9, 6'8 , 6'6 or 6'4 , 6'3.
:You weren't talking about the guards in that post. I'm only responding to the DC2, Rak, Fair/Grant part.

No doubt he has a huge upside, but at the 4, not the 5. He can play with his back to the basket, but he's just not bulky enough to play center at the elite college level, let alone the pros. He can play there in a pinch, hence the "stretch 4" designation. But his future is at PF ... including his remaining time at SU. Once our other centers are up and running (as Keita was during the NCAA's last year), Rak can play along side one of our centers and help clean glass and score from 15 feet in. This is exactly where JB had him starting/playing most of last year except for injuries.

At PF, Rak is an agile defender with lift and timing to block shots. On offense, obviously he can run and score in transition. He also has a mid-range shot and a driving bank shot.

Yes, if Rak wants to play in the NBA, his future lies at playing the 4. However, for college, it is becoming clearer and clearer that his best position is at center.
Rak can be a defensive force at center. Yes, a beefy 6'10" offensive center could give him trouble but there aren't many Sullingers out there (although remember when Fab was suspended and Rak shut down Cooley?). Rak has the most defensive potential of any center we have.

You claim Rak can run and score in transition for offense. Well both Grant and Roberson are faster, hustle more, and have better outside shots. For offense, Rak ranks last among the pf's. Defensively, at pf, Grant is already ahead of Rak (remember Grant being called the best defensive forward JB has ever had?).

I believe Rak will start at pf. But at the end of games if Rak gets in, it will be for defensive purposes at center.

:You weren't talking about the guards in that post. I'm only responding to the DC2, Rak, Fair/Grant part.

all i meant was we have options at the 4 aside from rak without bringing the frosh into the convo. As for depth of course we dont have a lot of choices and rak is part of that equation. i only included the guards to finish the entire picture but i do follow what your trying to say.

Yes, if Rak wants to play in the NBA, his future lies at playing the 4. However, for college, it is becoming clearer and clearer that his best position is at center.
Rak can be a defensive force at center. Yes, a beefy 6'10" offensive center could give him trouble but there aren't many Sullingers out there (although remember when Fab was suspended and Rak shut down Cooley?). Rak has the most defensive potential of any center we have.

You claim Rak can run and score in transition for offense. Well both Grant and Roberson are faster, hustle more, and have better outside shots. For offense, Rak ranks last among the pf's. Defensively, at pf, Grant is already ahead of Rak (remember Grant being called the best defensive forward JB has ever had?).

I believe Rak will start at pf. But at the end of games if Rak gets in, it will be for defensive purposes at center.

Sure, Rak can play C. As a stretch 4, he can slide over. I certainly like him better moving over than the other forwards because of his strength an athleticism. It's not like he sucks. But once our taller/beefier 5's are functioning properly in there, Rak will be assuming his natural position at PF.

Unfortunately, as you point out, he has a forward's body and a 5's mentality. That works in the fall against mid-majors, but later on, when we play conference or tournament teams with legit centers ... he's overmatched. The two kids from Seton Hall pushed him all over the lane. Adams (a freshman) pushed him around. He played cooley almost even in that one game you mentioned, but got killed on the boards last time we played ND. Obviously, he was overmatched against Michigan.

At forward, I agree with you (and said above) that Grant is able competition. He's probably more productive offensively, while Rak develops his shot and handle. But we're better ... and Rak's better ... when he plays along side a center instead of pretending to be one. He'll start at PF and JB will pray once again that the light goes on. If he doesn't produce, Grant will eat up his minutes. Or he can play spot duty in the middle against smaller teams ... but as DC2 comes up to speed and with Keita playing very well, Rak had better put his PF cap on if he wants PT. It's big boy time.

Sure, Rak can play C. As a stretch 4, he can slide over. I certainly like him better moving over than the other forwards because of his strength an athleticism. It's not like he sucks. But once our taller/beefier 5's are functioning properly in there, Rak will be assuming his natural position at PF.

Unfortunately, as you point out, he has a forward's body and a 5's mentality. That works in the fall against mid-majors, but later on, when we play conference or tournament teams with legit centers ... he's overmatched. The two kids from Seton Hall pushed him all over the lane. Adams (a freshman) pushed him around. He played cooley almost even in that one game you mentioned, but got killed on the boards last time we played ND. Obviously, he was overmatched against Michigan.

At forward, I agree with you (and said above) that Grant is able competition. He's probably more productive offensively, while Rak develops his shot and handle. But we're better ... and Rak's better ... when he plays along side a center instead of pretending to be one. He'll start at PF and JB will pray once again that the light goes on. If he doesn't produce, Grant will eat up his minutes. Or he can play spot duty in the middle against smaller teams ... but as DC2 comes up to speed and with Keita playing very well, Rak had better put his PF cap on if he wants PT. It's big boy time.
Rak's best bet for meaningful PT is in the aggressive defensive center role. When the token, charitable training minutes at pf dry up and Rak has to earn his time, he will want to show that defensive presence. The former McD center will have to capitalize on the potential people noticed in high school and beat out BMK for time. 6'9" is plenty tall for college. And anyone that is pushing Rak around can push BMK around. Rak is not better at pf, he was playing it because he won't be able to play center in the NBA.

Big boy time for Rak comes in 2015 when the coddling is over. No more charitable pf time. SU will have McCollough, Roberson, possibly Grant, and BJ, all good forwards. At center we will have DC2, Rak, and then >>>>Chino. The NC contending '14-'15 squad does not want to roll out a raw Chino at center.

And you saw him leap and dunk how many balls?

well we are talking about defense primarily and he didn't need to jump on D as being 7 foot his standing size with arms up did well enough. Inches matter in the post and the difference between 7 foot and 6'9 -6'10 is enough that the ability to leap to protect the rim means more than for a legit 7 footer. In regards to DC2 - his best defense can really be just better understanding position and being a monster on the boards out of the zone.

Is it this one?
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/6...em-christmas-king-of-kings-summer-league-2013
Not so great news about Rak, but a "pair of lefty hooks" by Coleman? Nice.
I like the article. Detailed and seemingly an honest take, but I really wish we knew if Rak was challenging or blocking any shots.

Either way, excited for next year if DC2 is coming back with a vengeance.

I get the positive vibe thing. I do. But, we all understand this a summer rec league in Utica, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom