Class of 2014 - Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date

Rutgers appears to be doing OK. Our class can definitely match/top their class if we finish strong. It's interesting to see how well BC is doing under Steve Addazio - I'm more concerned about them than RU for Northeastern supremacy, especially with the way they're pulling this class together.

I hadn't even looked at their class until now. Robert Martin is the 1 guy that stands out to me and he's also the only that had a Cuse offer. Aside from that, it appears our recruiting has taken different paths.

Martin, a 2012 Pennsylvania Sports Writers AAAA All-State Football Team selection, rushed for 1,759 yards on 139 carries and 18 touchdowns, in 2012.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ng_back_robert_martin_commits_to_rutgers.html

I hadn't even looked at their class until now. Robert Martin is the 1 guy that stands out to me and he's also the only that had a Cuse offer. Aside from that, it appears our recruiting has taken different paths.

For sure - they're definitely taking RU's approach with offering some under the radar/middle tier guys early.

How is RU's Florida recruiting going? I would think that would dry up with the B10 move. And they've had quite a few Florida guys in the past few years.

What big recruits are realistic possibilities for Syracuse right now? Just curious.

Stars and opposing offers are nice to puff your chest about but that's about it. It's nice to have them but we've repeatedly watched big name/offer guys fall through and 2 star/NR guys come up big.

However, it's a lot easier to live with lightly recruited players as commits if your coaching staff has a track record of success with them. I'm not sure if that's the case or not with RU.
Agreed, IO. What it boils down to is whom you trust more:
(a) some recruiting service who more often than not assign a ranking without actually having seen a player in action, and/or the person evaluating has a strong team bias,
or
(b) the combined experience of the SU coaching staff, who base their evaluation on watching a player perform in camp and not just some highlight clip against often over-matched foes.

In addition, recruiting services don't take into account how a given player fits a team's system, or character issues.

Dave Cohen is now the DC for Rutgers. He recruited and my brother. My brother played for him for a couple of years at Lafayette. Cohen turned out to be a major . I hope he fails miserably on the recruiting trail and on the field.

Bottom line Rutgers has a recent history of underperforming with talented recruiting classes. Now their recruiting seems to be slipping. If so, that is not going to end well.

What does Syracuse offer that would separate them from Michigan?

I say Syracuse does have a history of great receivers.

Our present day stud i believe would be Mike Williams for Tampa, just had a great comeback year.

What does Syracuse offer that would separate them from Michigan?

I say Syracuse does have a history of great receivers.

Our present day stud i believe would be Mike Williams for Tampa, just had a great comeback year.
Possibly a scholarship. Michigan might take just 2 WRs (they already have 2 commited). Also, his cousin.

Possibly a scholarship. Michigan might take just 2 WRs (they already have 2 commited). Also, his cousin.
Who, of our past receivers, is he most comparable to?

I dont know nearly as much about football recruiting as basketball. Would this really be a vital, incredible pick up?

Who, of our past receivers, is he most comparable to?

I dont know nearly as much about football recruiting as basketball. Would this really be a vital, incredible pick up?
Here are some highlights. He's a 4 star and the 39th ranked WR on TOS.

I'll never understand this board when it comes to recruiting. Stars and offers only seem to matter or they don't matter depending on whether the kid is coming here or going there. And the arguement is different depending if its us or them. And then comes the discussion of coaches judgement
Seems to me like you understand it very well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Stars and opposing offers are nice to puff your chest about but that's about it. It's nice to have them but we've repeatedly watched big name/offer guys fall through and 2 star/NR guys come up big.

However, it's a lot easier to live with lightly recruited players as commits if your coaching staff has a track record of success with them. I'm not sure if that's the case or not with RU.
It also helps with perception being able to land some higher rated kids. The better perception we have the better talent we get

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What big recruits are realistic possibilities for Syracuse right now? Just curious.
KJ Williams. Chad Mavety are probably the most realistic . outside shot in being in Thomas Holleys top 3 or such

KJ Williams. Chad Mavety are probably the most realistic . outside shot in being in Thomas Holleys top 3 or such

It sounds more and more like Holley won't leave the Northeast. That at least gives us an opportunity.

Some big name/offer guys fall through. Kids can peak early (in physical development); sometimes an early 4 star won't put in the work.

And some light recruited/ low offer guys come up big. The process isn't perfect; and some guys emerge in their senior years, and continue to develop.

But on the whole, there is a reason that SU puts out offers early in the recruiting cycle to the big name guys -- the prospects with D1 size & speed who had great junior years, and who have high potential for the D1 game. When we lose out on the ones we really want, we (and most of the MAC schools) go after the hidden gems and hope our coaches have a special feel for who will develop in the program. Sometimes it works out.

Yet -- being honest -- we all hope we get some highly rated prospects in our recruiting classes and want our class to compare well against Rutgers, Pitt & BC.

Agreed, IO. What it boils down to is whom you trust more:
(a) some recruiting service who more often than not assign a ranking without actually having seen a player in action, and/or the person evaluating has a strong team bias,
or
(b) the combined experience of the SU coaching staff, who base their evaluation on watching a player perform in camp and not just some highlight clip against often over-matched foes.

In addition, recruiting services don't take into account how a given player fits a team's system, or character issues.

That part is huge. A kid may have 10 offers from schools that employ similar styles while being ignored by schools that have different needs. A 4.3 40 guys is going to be wasted in B1G country after the weather turns similar to a 5.0 40 265 lb crusher at MLB would be about useless in our current defense between the 20s.

Yet -- being honest -- we all hope we get some highly rated prospects in our recruiting classes and want our class to compare well against Rutgers, Pitt & BC.
1000526_562791633764018_587822394_n.jpg

These guys had ~12 other BCS offers between them and there's no way you'd trade them for any of the higher ranked recruiting classes from the schools you had mentioned. Add to that our 2 star first round picks the last 2 years and it seems we may have it right on the hill. Aside from the perception to potential recruits and online fan bases, recruiting ratings mean nil.

One thing to remember is that Syracuse doesn't get a whole lot of respect from the services for early recruits unless they already have top 25 type offers. If the kids stay true to their verbals, then they basically fall into an abyss as far as rankings are concerned. The only time the services wake up on our early commits is if they decommit, re-open their recruitment, or start getting heavy interest from top 25 programs. It's bad because these players are no different before and after that happens, but their rankings suddenly are.

Maybe we're starting to get some more respect, but to see a kid like AJ Long with the limited early offers he had commit to Syracuse in March and then be rated a 4 star by one of the services is virtually unheard of. Since the services started circa 2002, we've never had a pre-July commit rated that highly. And the only commit I can think of that was upgraded to a 4 star while committed to SU was DC3 when he was named Mr. Ohio.

One thing to remember is that Syracuse doesn't get a whole lot of respect from the services for early recruits unless they already have top 25 type offers. If the kids stay true to their verbals, then they basically fall into an abyss as far as rankings are concerned. The only time the services wake up on our early commits is if they decommit, re-open their recruitment, or start getting heavy interest from top 25 programs. It's bad because these players are no different before and after that happens, but their rankings suddenly are.

Maybe we're starting to get some more respect, but to see a kid like AJ Long with the limited early offers he had commit to Syracuse in March and then be rated a 4 star by one of the services is virtually unheard of. Since the services started circa 2002, we've never had a pre-July commit rated that highly. And the only commit I can think of that was upgraded to a 4 star while committed to SU was DC3 when he was named Mr. Ohio.
Funny that Long actually dropped in his rating as well. Went from inside the espn 300 with an 82 rating to outside the top 300 and a 81 rating

1000526_562791633764018_587822394_n.jpg

These guys had ~12 other BCS offers between them and there's no way you'd trade them for any of the higher ranked recruiting classes from the schools you had mentioned. Add to that our 2 star first round picks the last 2 years and it seems we may have it right on the hill. Aside from the perception to potential recruits and online fan bases, recruiting ratings mean nil.

This is what we all say when our classes don't have a lot of highly regarded skill guys and get rated in the high 50s. We grossly overstate -- "recruiting ratings mean nil." Or several of the commits in Rutgers long list don't have a national rating. Or our coaches have a special talent for selecting hidden gems. Or, in a few notable cases, white chips like Justin Pugh or Chandler Jones or Mike Williams developed into blue chips. Or some of the flaky 4 stars who fell to us weren't all that great or washed out (Collier).

But, if we land Doug Hogue, or Deleone Carter, we tend to like the fact they had 4 stars, lots of offers, great measurables, and lots of stats from their junior years. And we are pretty happy we have landed commits from three 3-star LBs, who had other interest and look good on film. And we have two 4 star WRs who are still looking our way, and then there is a highly rated RB in Erie County we hope to land ...

This is what we all say when our classes don't have a lot of highly regarded skill guys and get rated in the high 50s. We grossly overstate -- "recruiting ratings mean nil." Or several of the commits in Rutgers long list don't have a national rating. Or our coaches have a special talent for selecting hidden gems. Or, in a few notable cases, white chips like Justin Pugh or Chandler Jones or Mike Williams developed into blue chips. Or some of the flaky 4 stars who fell to us weren't all that great or washed out (Collier).

But, if we land Doug Hogue, or Deleone Carter, we tend to like the fact they had 4 stars, lots of offers, great measurables, and lots of stats from their junior years. And we are pretty happy we have landed commits from three 3-star LBs, who had other interest and look good on film. And we have two 4 star WRs who are still looking our way, and then there is a highly rated RB in Erie County we hope to land ...

Right. I'm okay with both and having it both ways. That's why I'm a fan with an orange bias. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom