Class of 2014 - Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date

This is what we all say when our classes don't have a lot of highly regarded skill guys and get rated in the high 50s. We grossly overstate -- "recruiting ratings mean nil." Or several of the commits in Rutgers long list don't have a national rating. Or our coaches have a special talent for selecting hidden gems. Or, in a few notable cases, white chips like Justin Pugh or Chandler Jones or Mike Williams developed into blue chips. Or some of the flaky 4 stars who fell to us weren't all that great or washed out (Collier).

But, if we land Doug Hogue, or Deleone Carter, we tend to like the fact they had 4 stars, lots of offers, great measurables, and lots of stats from their junior years. And we are pretty happy we have landed commits from three 3-star LBs, who had other interest and look good on film. And we have two 4 star WRs who are still looking our way, and then there is a highly rated RB in Erie County we hope to land ...
Exactly

This is what we all say when our classes don't have a lot of highly regarded skill guys and get rated in the high 50s. We grossly overstate -- "recruiting ratings mean nil." Or several of the commits in Rutgers long list don't have a national rating. Or our coaches have a special talent for selecting hidden gems. Or, in a few notable cases, white chips like Justin Pugh or Chandler Jones or Mike Williams developed into blue chips. Or some of the flaky 4 stars who fell to us weren't all that great or washed out (Collier).

But, if we land Doug Hogue, or Deleone Carter, we tend to like the fact they had 4 stars, lots of offers, great measurables, and lots of stats from their junior years. And we are pretty happy we have landed commits from three 3-star LBs, who had other interest and look good on film. And we have two 4 star WRs who are still looking our way, and then there is a highly rated RB in Erie County we hope to land ...

To me ratings don't matter as much as does who we are beating out for the kid. a perfect example is Deion Hallmon. He's is "only" a 3 star, but has 30 something offers. We need to win recruiting battles against rivals. We have been doing a good job against Pitt this season.

Is this thread for real? We'd all be creaming in our pants if we had Rutgers' current class.

Their recruits don't suck until they reach the Buttgers campus.

Is this thread for real? We'd all be creaming in our pants if we had Rutgers' current class.

Gotta agree with Jeremy on this one. A lot of Rutgers fan are in arms over this class. Lots of people with no other BCS offers who have stars because Brian Dohn wants to see them in the shower.

Gotta agree with Jeremy on this one. A lot of Rutgers fan are in arms over this class. Lots of people with no other BCS offers who have stars because Brian Dohn wants to see them in the shower.

They did just get a commit from that WR Jennings, he appears to be a solid recruit definitely a good land.

No we wouldnt.

I'd agree, no we wouldn't be. Jennings aside I see a class if Syracuse type recruits.

I'd be curious to know which kids nirvana is talking about

I'd agree, no we wouldn't be. Jennings aside I see a class if Syracuse type recruits.

They have a RB committed with good numbers and I believe there was one other kid cant recall his name who looked like a player but other then that its mostly 2 star fillers and flyers. Even there #1 rated FB had a total of 3 offers. Its not a class you take into the B10 thats for sure. They also got crushed in the NJ top 10 again.

They have 18 freakin' commitments and it's not even July yet. Nearly every one of them have the same ratings as Syracuse's six commits. This thread is beyond silly. Rutgers is doing very well whether you and Jeremy want to admit it or not.

I'm going to say probably not, I doubt I would even get to the start of blue b@lls.

They have 18 freakin' commitments and it's not even July yet. Nearly every one of them have the same ratings as Syracuse's six commits. This thread is beyond silly. Rutgers is doing very well whether you and Jeremy want to admit it or not.

LOL so because they have 18 commits they have a good class? Did you read there board or see where the class is ranked based on the amount of stars? It should be huge due to 18 commits its not even in the top 50. Half there commits have no other BCS offer besides Rutgers, you may want to do some research.

18 commits does not a good class make. Seriously, do some research.

They have a few kids to be excited about but by and large there would be a lot of hang ringing here over that class. There are a number of people on their own board who are questioning the quality.

I ask you specifically for players because I believe you’re only seeing what they are ranked and not looking beyond that. We’re not saying our class is better either.

Not to be mean, but Rutgers probably has the ugliest recruiting class I've ever seen. Just saying'...

LOL so because they have 18 commits they have a good class? Did you read there board or see where the class is ranked based on the amount of stars? It should be huge due to 18 commits its not even in the top 50. Half there commits have no other BCS offer besides Rutgers, you may want to do some research.

Yes, 18 commits before July makes it a good class when you consider the type of players they're landing, which is the same "upside" type of players we bring in every year. Only they have 3x more of them. "Half of their commits have no other BCS offers" (huge exaggeration, btw) because the majority of them committed so early in the process.

What about our class warrants pounding our chests? According to one recruiting site Howard was offered by Buffalo. Moskal had offers from Minnesota, the rest are MAC schools. Bennett offered by Pitt and MAC schools. Williams offered by Temple and Buffalo.

We have three 3-stars, two 2-stars, and a NR. Don't get me wrong I like our class right now but to say it's better than Rutgers at this point is just weird.

18 commits does not a good class make. Seriously, do some research.

They have a few kids to be excited about but by and large there would be a lot of hang ringing here over that class. There are a number of people on their own board who are questioning the quality.

I ask you specifically for players because I believe you’re only seeing what they are ranked and not looking beyond that. We’re not saying our class is better either.

The reason the Buttgers board is questioning the quality of their class is because they're delusional nitwits who thought after their invite to the Big Ten that five star recruits would be pouring in and their classes would become Notre Dame and Alabama.

You're just as delusional as they are if you think there would be hand-ringing here if we had 18 commits at the same level as the six commits we have now.

And if you're not saying our class is better, then what are you saying?

Yes, 18 commits before July makes it a good class when you consider the type of players they're landing, which is the same "upside" type of players we bring in every year. Only they have 3x more of them. "Half of their commits have no other BCS offers" (huge exaggeration, btw) because the majority of them committed so early in the process.

What about our class warrants pounding our chests? According to one recruiting site Howard was offered by Buffalo. Moskal had offers from Minnesota, the rest are MAC schools. Bennett offered by Pitt and MAC schools. Williams offered by Temple and Buffalo.

We have three 3-stars, two 2-stars, and a NR. Don't get me wrong I like our class right now but to say it's better than Rutgers at this point is just weird.

And according to another recruiting site we have one 4-star with offers from Arizona and UCLA, three 3-stars with offers from Arizona, Pitt, Minnesota, and Cinci and 2 NR's with offers from Temple and MAC schools.

I guess, point is hard to judge what we have right now, but I'll take players with offers from PAC12, ACC and B1G schools.

what does 18 commits have to do with anything? all that means is there class is close to done with hardly any highly regarded recruits. i definitely wouldn't be thrilled with that

I think our class and Rutgers class will be very similar from a rankings perspective when all is said and done this year.

And that's a good thing. It will be progression for us and regression for them.

To date SU has 4 commits, all of whom are at least 3 stars and each had other BCS offers and in some cases a multitude of offers. Uconn has 1 commit a QB from Connecticut with very few offers.

Rutgers has 17 commits including two more it picked up yesterday.
Based on this you woudl think Rutgers was killing it on the recruiting trail, however, if you dig deeper you can see some issues. Of there 17 commits only a handful have other BCS offers and most of them have either Rutgers as there only offer or low level BCS or AAC teams ie UConn, Temple etc. Its not always about quantity at this point. The Rutgers board has been having a civil war amongst itself the past few weeks about the number of kids there offering and taking commits from with little or no other offers. It got so bad they had to delete an commit thread because posters were ripping the kid.

A lot of time left for Shafer and staff to grab some top guys, lets hope we start winning some of these battles and cashing in soon.

The key in really getting a gauge for the quality of the class is looking at both the timing and the offers. AJ Long and Nas Howard were offered in March, maybe even earlier. Getting offers literally a year before signing day shows that they were priority recruits for the staff. Same goes for Moskal, Franklin, and Bennett, each of which were very early offers, March/April time frame. These are all guys that were at the top of the staff's board in their respective positions, in all likelihood, when they sat down to map out their recruiting strategy and who to target for this class. That's a very good thing, if you have faith in the staff's ability to identify talent.

KJ Williams, Mavety, Hallmon, Ishmael, although they've had more attention from other peer and national recruiting programs, they also all fall into that boat of being very early offer guys, high on the original board.

Have to remember too that Corey Cooper will be reclassified with this class once he hits prep school in the fall and he's arguably our most highly regarded recruit from last year. That will only help this class.

Again, if you have faith in the staff to identify talent, you have to be excited with a verbal from a camp offer like Rodney Williams, a kid that the staff saw in person and still very early in the cycle.

If we're at 10-12 recruits by the end of July, I think we'll be in a really good position and we just need to close down the stretch. I don't think we're taking the full 25 this year because of the amount of recruits we took last year and all the late adds (I count 24 when you exclude Corey Cooper) - not sure what the number is exactly but I'm thinking we'll be in the 20 range or so for this class.

Need to close this thread.

Rutgers now up to 20 commits, with last three consisting of WR 74, DE 84 and S15 (key positions of need for SU).

Lots of NJ talent -- and while RU loses some of the best to bigger programs, it looks like RU is making hay out of its BiG affiliation.

We can hope SU closes July strong, and then catches up in Nov through January.

Wouldn't want to try comparisons at this point.

Rutgers now up to 20 commits, with last three consisting of WR 74, DE 84 and S15 (key positions of need for SU).

Lots of NJ talent -- and while RU loses some of the best to bigger programs, it looks like RU is making hay out of its BiG affiliation.

Can't understand this thread for the life of me. Rutgers is recruiting very well this year. The BIG affiliation is helping. They went after kids earlier this year and that led to a slew of early commits. Many of these kids are now being recruited by other programs to try and pull them away. For example, 4 star QB Wiegers just had Iowa offer and their are some other BIG schools hard after him. Most of their recruits commited back in March/April. Looks like RU identified talent early and locked up some of these kids that surely would have been rated higher and had more offers had they gone to camps and waited to commit. Won't be surprised to see several of them make a jump in the rankings once the re evaluations are done.

They are also killing it lately with the spots they have left picking up two 4 star recruits in a three day period this past week in Jennings and Hester(offers from Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, etc) and a solid 3 star DE prospect in Hogan. All of these kids had SU offers btw...

It seems SU is doing ok on the recruiting trail but has a long way to go to see how their class compares but at this time RU is way ahead of both SU and Uconn and its not really debatable.

The Hester kid they got is a bonafide prospect. the DE they got is a nobody who picked buttgers over BC and Temple (edit - many buttger fans predicted Hogan to Temple b/c they believed he did not have a commit-table offer to buttgers, now isnt that funny). The buttgers faithful have been railing on Flood for even accepting the commitment from the kid because it's filling the inn. Prospects they want more have jumped ship. The fact that they have 20 lightly recruited kids in the fold already is going to benefit everybody around the area now.

Do you mean catches up in terms of quantity? We'll obviously sign our max numbers and if we can nab a couple big fish kids along the way then we'll be just fine in terms of quality compared to them.

The Hester kid they got is a bonafide prospect. the DE they got is a nobody who picked buttgers over BC and Temple. The buttgers faithful have been railing on Flood for even accepting the commitment from the kid because it's filling the inn. Prospects they want more have jumped ship. The fact that they have 20 kids in the fold already is going to benefit everybody around the area now.

Do you mean catches up in terms of quantity? We'll obviously sign our max numbers and if we can nab a couple big fish kids along the way then we'll be just fine in terms of quality compared to them.

Hester and Jennings are good prospects and werent on board with RU when this thread was created. Second as PO noted the DE is not a highly rated kid and despite the RU fans post above did not have a Syracuse offer. Rutgers has put together a decent class but its rankings will continue to slide because its only ranked high due to the quantity not the quality.

Can't understand this thread for the life of me. Rutgers is recruiting very well this year. The BIG affiliation is helping. They went after kids earlier this year and that led to a slew of early commits. Many of these kids are now being recruited by other programs to try and pull them away. For example, 4 star QB Wiegers just had Iowa offer and their are some other BIG schools hard after him. Most of their recruits commited back in March/April. Looks like RU identified talent early and locked up some of these kids that surely would have been rated higher and had more offers had they gone to camps and waited to commit. Won't be surprised to see several of them make a jump in the rankings once the re evaluations are done.

They are also killing it lately with the spots they have left picking up two 4 star recruits in a three day period this past week in Jennings and Hester(offers from Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, etc) and a solid 3 star DE prospect in Hogan. All of these kids had SU offers btw...

It seems SU is doing ok on the recruiting trail but has a long way to go to see how their class compares but at this time RU is way ahead of both SU and Uconn and its not really debatable.

No offense but if you have a QB from Michigan that didnt get an offer from either UM or Sparty I wouldnt use him as an example to make your point. No one is questioning the commits of Hester or Jennings, both good players and great pickups for RU. But most of the class besides them and a few others are filler. Half of there 20 commits have RU as there only BCS offer outside of Temple, Uconn, Old Dominion etc. Rutgers isnt the only school identifying talent in March/April, I find it hard to believe RU identified 8-10 under the radar kids in March of there Junior year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom