Class of 2014 - Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date

No offense but if you have a QB from Michigan that didnt get an offer from either UM or Sparty I wouldnt use him as an example to make your point. No one is questioning the commits of Hester or Jennings, both good players and great pickups for RU. But most of the class besides them and a few others are filler. Half of there 20 commits have RU as there only BCS offer outside of Temple, Uconn, Old Dominion etc. Rutgers isnt the only school identifying talent in March/April, I find it hard to believe RU identified 8-10 under the radar kids in March of there Junior year.

Not to mention people are entitled to their opinions. I agree, if you are signing 8-10 kids with zero major or D1 offers we would def be concerned. Hopefully SU's class fills out nicely and we will do our talking on the field.

Can't understand this thread for the life of me. Rutgers is recruiting very well this year. The BIG affiliation is helping. They went after kids earlier this year and that led to a slew of early commits. Many of these kids are now being recruited by other programs to try and pull them away. For example, 4 star QB Wiegers just had Iowa offer and their are some other BIG schools hard after him. Most of their recruits commited back in March/April. Looks like RU identified talent early and locked up some of these kids that surely would have been rated higher and had more offers had they gone to camps and waited to commit. Won't be surprised to see several of them make a jump in the rankings once the re evaluations are done.

They are also killing it lately with the spots they have left picking up two 4 star recruits in a three day period this past week in Jennings and Hester(offers from Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, etc) and a solid 3 star DE prospect in Hogan. All of these kids had SU offers btw...

It seems SU is doing ok on the recruiting trail but has a long way to go to see how their class compares but at this time RU is way ahead of both SU and Uconn and its not really debatable.

Thanks for showing up rutgers fan.

Wiegers ranking is inflated. 4 stars with offers from bowling green, toledo, central michigan and western michigan, and the recent iowa offer. stop it. true 4 star type qbs in detroit get recruited by michigan and michigan state.

Wiegers didn't even make the elite 11, so really, 4 stars?

No offense but if you have a QB from Michigan that didnt get an offer from either UM or Sparty I wouldnt use him as an example to make your point. No one is questioning the commits of Hester or Jennings, both good players and great pickups for RU. But most of the class besides them and a few others are filler. Half of there 20 commits have RU as there only BCS offer outside of Temple, Uconn, Old Dominion etc. Rutgers isnt the only school identifying talent in March/April, I find it hard to believe RU identified 8-10 under the radar kids in March of there Junior year.

Michigan and Mich St picked up very early commits at the QB position this year( I think in Feb). I know Mich St has still since put out its feelers for Wiegers. Iowa also keeps trying to get in for a home visit with him after offering him last month. RB Hicks, who only shows an RU offer, has Miami hard after him as well. WR Njoku only show an RU, BC offer but Michigan showed up at his shool this week inquiring about him. Point is you can't judge the quality of this class because of some of the early commits and the offers they had in Feb/March becuase 1)they were kids the staff identified early(mostly NJ kids who they have been recruiting for years) and therefore are high priorities to the staff. 2)many of these kids have gotten additional offers/interest from other schools but have, thus far, shut down their recrutiment and 3) We are adding multiple highly ranked kids as well(Hester, Jennings, Martin, Wiegers, Gopre, etc) with more to come.

With the staff having only 5-6 spots left to fill I think they can be ultra selective with how they finsh the class and I see a few more highly touted kids winding up at RU to round out this class.

This thread was about comparing SU/RU/Uconn recruting classes. For all the stock it appears you put in other offers and "filler" prospects it appears nearly your whole class(of 6) has either no other offers or offers from the likes of Western Michigan, Toledo, Buffalo, etc. Do you consider your class just filler at this time because SU has zero highly rated prospects?

Uconn is falling off of the cliff with regards to recruiting and is a distant third...

Thanks for showing up rutgers fan.

Wiegers ranking is inflated. 4 stars with offers from bowling green, toledo, central michigan and western michigan, and the recent iowa offer. stop it. true 4 star type qbs in detroit get recruited by michigan and michigan state.

Wiegers didn't even make the elite 11, so really, 4 stars?

Follow BIG recruiting and watched Wiegers throw several times. Wiegers stock would have exploded and he would have added multiple offers had he not commited early since he had a great showing over the summer camps. WR Jennings was blown away catching balls by him at camp and is a big reason why he commited soon after. 4 star WR Canteen(who just commited to Michigan) was very close to chosing RU, who finished second, and loved Wiegers as well.

How would you objectively rank SU/RU/UConn at the moment?

...The fact that they have 20 lightly recruited kids in the fold already is going to benefit everybody around the area now.

Do you mean catches up in terms of quantity? We'll obviously sign our max numbers and if we can nab a couple big fish kids along the way then we'll be just fine in terms of quality compared to them.

Yes, we will fill the class with hidden gems and jucos. And we will convince ourselves we did just fine.

Michigan and Mich St picked up very early commits at the QB position this year( I think in Feb). I know Mich St has still since put out its feelers for Wiegers. Iowa also keeps trying to get in for a home visit with him after offering him last month. RB Hicks, who only shows an RU offer, has Miami hard after him as well. WR Njoku only show an RU, BC offer but Michigan showed up at his shool this week inquiring about him. Point is you can't judge the quality of this class because of some of the early commits and the offers they had in Feb/March becuase 1)they were kids the staff identified early(mostly NJ kids who they have been recruiting for years) and therefore are high priorities to the staff. 2)many of these kids have gotten additional offers/interest from other schools but have, thus far, shut down their recrutiment and 3) We are adding multiple highly ranked kids as well(Hester, Jennings, Martin, Wiegers, Gopre, etc) with more to come.

With the staff having only 5-6 spots left to fill I think they can be ultra selective with how they finsh the class and I see a few more highly touted kids winding up at RU to round out this class.

This thread was about comparing SU/RU/Uconn recruting classes. For all the stock it appears you put in other offers and "filler" prospects it appears nearly your whole class(of 6) has either no other offers or offers from the likes of Western Michigan, Toledo, Buffalo, etc. Do you consider your class just filler at this time because SU has zero highly rated prospects?

Uconn is falling off of the cliff with regards to recruiting and is a distant third...

While I havent seen anyone declare SU's current class as the second coming, every commit besides Nasean Howard (local kid) has at least one offer from another BCS level school. Long and Franklin both had extensive offers including Arizona, UCLA, BC, Pitt, Uconn, Temple, etc. I am not counting Corey Cooper who was bumped to this class to attend one semester of prep school but his offer list speaks for itself.

A battle over highly rated prospects at this point is pretty meaningless because neither school has a 5 star and neither program is getting the top player in there state. All I know is that when half the RU board is upset about the lack of offers to half there commits its a problem. Not to mention your entire post is pretty much you telling us how such and such a school sent out feelers or seems high on one of your commits etc yet they still only have an RU offer. Listing Wiegers as a high end prospect at this point is beyond laughable, Jennings and Hester yes, Wiegers NO.

Yes, we will fill the class with hidden gems and jucos. And we will convince ourselves we did just fine.

Ya god forbid you take a Juco, everyone knows schools like Alabama and LSU they never take a JUCO recruit. :crazy:

No one on this board is afraid to call out when a class isnt up to par, if this class doesn't finish strong or is sub par plenty of posters will make it known.

Yes, like JUCO Chad Mavety who has offers from every school in the country. What a terrible addition he would be... Oh Lord

Need to close this thread.

Rutgers now up to 20 commits, with last three consisting of WR 74, DE 84 and S15 (key positions of need for SU).

Lots of NJ talent -- and while RU loses some of the best to bigger programs, it looks like RU is making hay out of its BiG affiliation.

We can hope SU closes July strong, and then catches up in Nov through January.

Wouldn't want to try comparisons at this point.

Agree. This thread is an embarrassment. Come back in January and see if there's a comparison to be made then.

Agree. This thread is an embarrassment. Come back in January and see if there's a comparison to be made then.

The thread was started nearly two weeks ago and was comparsion of the classes at that time, perhaps you missed that point.

The thread was started nearly two weeks ago and was comparsion of the classes at that time, perhaps you missed that point.

And it was just as silly then. Most of Rutgers' recruits are from their backyard (even BC has 6-7 kids from MA and CT). SU is largely chasing kids hundreds of miles away (even in-state). There's usually less familiarity and more convincing to do in that situation. So it's taking longer for them to reel prospects in. The progress made so far makes me hopeful that we'll eventually measure up quite nicely to our regional r!vals on the recruiting front this year. Nothing's for sure, but so far so good.

And it was just as silly then. Most of Rutgers' recruits are from their backyard (even BC has 6-7 kids from MA and CT). SU is largely chasing kids hundreds of miles away (even in-state). There's usually less familiarity and more convincing to do in that situation. So it's taking longer for them to reel prospects in. The progress made so far makes me hopeful that we'll eventually measure up quite nicely to our regional r!vals on the recruiting front this year. Nothing's for sure, but so far so good.

Sorry it wasn't, if you re-read the post and the responses you will see what the point was.

Michigan and Mich St picked up very early commits at the QB position this year( I think in Feb).

That's because they judged those kids (virginia) and (ohio) to be better prospects than wiegers. if they thought wiegers was any good (surely 4 star worthy) they would've been after him.

speak for yourself. i don't ever fluff up our recruits. but objectively speaking our 6 kids were early offers and early commitments - same as rutgers. rodney williams is a camp offer so how can anybody possible argue with that ?

you get your panties in a wad because of our total numbers in june. you did the same thing last year. whole lot of good it did last year having early commits from malik brown, augustus edwards and zach allen. i'll do my judging in February of 2014.

I'm not sure which sites you are using to do your comparisons but I refuse to use any site other than ESPN simply because they are the most objective. Rvls and Skout are far too biased due to subscriber and "site analyst" activity.

If you look at ESPN's current rankings, Rutgers has 20 commits, 11 of which are ranked 75 or higher (high 3 star), and 3 of which are rated 80 or higher (4 star).

Syracuse has 7 commits, 4 of which are rated 75 or higher (high 3 star), and 1 of which is rated 80 or higher (4 star).

As far as our early commits offers, here is a compiled list of who was offered by whom per ESPN:

AJ Long **** - Major - SU, UCLA, Arizona Mid Major - Buffalo, UMASS, Ohio, USF, Southern Miss, Temple, WKU
Zaire Franklin *** - Major - SU, Arizona, Pitt Mid Major - UCONN, UMASS, Temple, Tulane, ODU
Parris Bennett *** - Major - SU, Pitt Mid Major - Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, Western Michigan
Colton Moskal *** - Major - SU, Minnesota Mid Major - Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, NIU, Toledo, Western Michigan, Wyoming
Jason Cabinda *** - Major - SU, MD, BC Mid Major - Temple, UCONN, Navy, UMASS, ODU
Naesan Howard *** - Major - SU Mid Major - Buffalo
Rodney Williams NR - Major - SU Mid Major - Buffalo, Temple

5 of 7 had other major offers. And I refuse to classify AAC schools like UCONN, Temple and Cincinnati as "major" offers now.

speak for yourself. i don't ever fluff up our recruits. but objectively speaking our 6 kids were early offers and early commitments - same as rutgers. rodney williams is a camp offer so how can anybody possible argue with that ?

you get your panties in a wad because of our total numbers in june. you did the same thing last year. whole lot of good it did last year having early commits from malik brown, augustus edwards and zach allen. i'll do my judging in February of 2014.
Well said!

I personally find it hard not to compare our recruiting class to the 1989 San Fransisco 49ers :noidea:

Last year was goofy too. I remember being bummed about losing out on Shawn Curtis and looking back, even if he had committed to SU during the summer he probably would have flipped too when the staff turned over.

At this point, I'm more interested in how we compare to the teams we will actually be playing on a regular basis.

I'm not sure which sites you are using to do your comparisons but I refuse to use any site other than ESPN simply because they are the most objective. Rvls and Skout are far too biased due to subscriber and "site analyst" activity.

If you look at ESPN's current rankings, Rutgers has 20 commits, 11 of which are ranked 75 or higher (high 3 star), and 3 of which are rated 80 or higher (4 star).

Syracuse has 6 commits, 4 of which are rated 75 or higher (high 3 star), and 1 of which is rated 80 or higher (4 star).

As far as our early commits offers, here is a compiled list of who was offered by whom per ESPN:

AJ Long **** - Major - SU, UCLA, Arizona Mid Major - Buffalo, UMASS, Ohio, USF, Southern Miss, Temple, WKU
Zaire Franklin *** - Major - SU, Arizona, Pitt Mid Major - UCONN, UMASS, Temple, Tulane, ODU
Parris Bennett *** - Major - SU, Pitt Mid Major - Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, Western Michigan
Colton Moskal *** - Major - SU, Minnesota Mid Major - Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, NIU, Toledo, Western Michigan, Wyoming
Naesan Howard *** - Major - SU Mid Major - Buffalo
Rodney Williams NR - Major - SU Mid Major - Buffalo, Temple
]
Rutgers has several recruits like the ones you describe above(players with one or two BCS offers and a bunch of mid major ones). If the staff saw some of these guys multiple times and evaluated them at camp, I'm all for extending early offers. It lools like SU did just that with a few of your recruits. Many of those players turn out to be core players in future years.

You do, however, have to get some high national recruits to have a chance to compete in the BIG and ACC in the upcoming years. By that I mean 15+ offer types that have elite offers. Rutgers has been able to bring in four such players in Hester, Gopre, Jennings, and Martin and I think RU lands a few more to finish things off. Besides AJ Long(who has better then average offers) it seems SU doesn't have any highly rated recruits. Who are the higher rated guys that you feel SU will land?

And just for the hell of it I looked up the recruiting rankings on Espn and the other two services. I know more weight is given when you have more commits so obviously RU will go down and SU/Uconn will rise as you get more recruits. I do think if RU lands a few more quality recruits they could finish top 40 though. Where do you see SU finishing?

RU 23 Espn 15 ,21
SU NR Espn 70, 73
Uconn NR Espn 105, 91

Jersey DT Antoine white just picked penn state and the recent tod hunt article at nj.com said Rutgers 'cooled' on him. lol

Even with the list of 7 I gave, we should be at 8 but the sites haven't recognized that Corey Cooper got reclassified to this class. He was a 10+ major offer kid out of North Carolina (including Miami, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Ok St.) and I would fully expect him to be in the 3-4 star range and a highly rated prep player that will be added to this class.

There are 4 guys right now that we should know where they are going over the course of the next couple of months that are 4 star recruits (or 3 stars depending on what site you look at) that fall into the long list of offer type guys - KJ Williams, WR PA - down to Michigan and SU, Steve Ishmael, WR FL - SU in top 3 with Illinois and Pitt, Chad Mavety, JUCO OT NR, SU in top 3 with OSU and Alabama, and Deion Hallmon, CB FL - SU in top 3 with RU and WVU. These 4 guys are the ones that we know about but there are others, like Qadree Ollison out of the Buffalo area that is one of the top regional recruits and a slew of Florida offers that haven't gotten as much pub as the other 4 guys I've mentioned. Most of the Florida names that have popped up for us are in the 6+ major offer type players. So with Cooper getting reclassified and the 4 mentioned above, I really expect at least 3 of Cooper, Williams, Ishmael, Mavety, or Hallmon added to our list of commits in the next few months.

Cabinda just picked SU today. Not sure where he ranked on Rutgers LB board with him being a NJ kid but Syracuse is taking 4-5 LBers this year, otherwise we probably wouldn't have had room for him with the 3 already committed. If Rutgers was taking 4-5 LBers this year I'd venture to guess he would have had a RU offer.

I really expect us to be somewhere around 12+ recruits by the time we hit August. So we'll have a better feel then for where this class is headed. Then we'll just need to close down the stretch.

And there are still major wild cards out there, like a guy like Thomas Holley, who's looking past the trees for the forest right now. If he decides to stay close to home as has been rumored, by the time he decides there may be no room for him at PSU and RU which will limit his options, if those 2 schools continue to fill their classes as quickly as they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom