Goodbye Aluminum seats | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Aluminum seats

View attachment 216490
I like this but you have to figure this sticks out further than the bench seat when the seat bottom is down. Figure the existing bench is 9-10" inches wide and nearly flush up against the concrete (which is the floor of the row behind you). I barely have enough room for someone to cross in front of me when I'm sitting on bench (let alone having room for knees). It always requires me to stand and move out into the aisle. And as we talked earlier in the thread, where would our knees go as any further seating position I think is a non starter.

maybe they do go this route. fits on what we have and defines the space.. but no backs. but you get custom color and name plates. and reason the backs can fold up instead o the deats folding down in this market place?

View attachment 216493
some sort of iteration of this with a folding back is the only way I see it working in the 300's. I can't see how there is enough room to do anything else.

maybe they do go this route. fits on what we have and defines the space.. but no backs. but you get custom color and name plates. and reason the backs can fold up instead o the deats folding down in this market place?

View attachment 216493

The defiantly look wider and less comfortable that using the existing cushions. If we are going to add seating we can't half az it. But being we are talking SU I am sure that is what will happen.

IMO either totally redo the concrete and the rows with real stadium seating, or just keep it as is.

I like this but you have to figure this sticks out further than the bench seat when the seat bottom is down. Figure the existing bench is 9-10" inches wide and nearly flush up against the concrete (which is the floor of the row behind you). I barely have enough room for someone to cross in front of me when I'm sitting on bench (let alone having room for knees). It always requires me to stand and move out into the aisle. And as we talked earlier in the thread, where would our knees go as any further seating position I think is a non starter.
standing is pretty much the norm any place with seats? you have to move on a plane to let people sit.. you pretty much stand at a theater. at our arena you have to physically climb up on the bench to let people buy, the dome has tons of room for me..

what stadiums do people go to and expect enough room to sit and let people pass in front of them? Bills games, mets games are the same.. do any stadiums really have room where you just sit and people pass easily in front of you?

you go to any HS game and the rows are much tighter than the Dome for bench seating.

Leave your arms home, people!

Added benefit, if you're in the lower section, you can watch the video board while you drink.

2F08A54300000578-3344986-image-m-21_1449175622378.jpg

standing is pretty much the norm any place with seats? you have to move on a plane to let people sit.. you pretty much stand at a theater. at our arena you have to physically climb up on the bench to let people buy, the dome has tons of room for me..

what stadiums do people go to and expect enough room to sit and let people pass in front of them? Bills games, mets games are the same.. do any stadiums really have room where you just sit and people pass easily in front of you?

you go to any HS game and the rows are much tighter than the Dome for bench seating.
Great news that it works for you my wife is 5’2” and she can let people pass right in front of her. I cannot and my knees are right into the back of the people ahead of me. If seating position is any closer than it is today, it’s going to be mighty uncomfortable for me personally.

Great news that it works for you my wife is 5’2” and she can let people pass right in front of her. I cannot and my knees are right into the back of the people ahead of me. If seating position is any closer than it is today, it’s going to be mighty uncomfortable for me personally.
i get it, but if you went to almost every arena around right now the Dome would have as much or more room than most.. we could be like Fenway and half the seats look in the wrong direction and are much tighter. maybe they should tilt the seats 10% so it would be easier to see the new scoreboard while they are working on it..

The seats at the dome are narrower and the leg room more constrained than almost every venue I have been to.

The Landmark was similar until the original seats from 1928 were placed last year.

The Fleet Center in Boston was similar circa 2003. Might have been worse.

Kenan might even be worse.

The War Memorial, NBT Bank, MetLife, CitiField, Yankee Stadium. Rich Stadium/Ralph Wilson/whatever they are calling it now all have more leg room. And seats that are significantly wider.

No one is saying the dome should have an extra 12 inches of leg room, or whatever the distance is you think people are requesting. Speaking only for myself, I do not want to lose a couple inches of legroom to get a slightly wider seat.

If the rentals provide more comfort with a minimal impact on leg room (thry do), it should be possible to solve the comfort issue without giving up significant legroom. I like to see rental type seats installed throughout the dome that are 2 inches wider than the current ones. Everything else the same.

To me, that is the perfect solution.

The seats at the dome are narrower and the leg room more constrained than almost every venue I have been to.

The Landmark was similar until the original seats from 1928 were placed last year.

The Fleet Center in Boston was similar circa 2003. Might have been worse.

Kenan might even be worse.

The War Memorial, NBT Bank, MetLife, CitiField, Yankee Stadium. Rich Stadium/Ralph Wilson/whatever they are calling it now all have more leg room. And seats that are significantly wider.

No one is saying the dome should have an extra 12 inches of leg room, or whatever the distance is you think people are requesting. Speaking only for myself, I do not want to lose a couple inches of legroom to get a slightly wider seat.

If the rentals provide more comfort with a minimal impact on leg room (thry do), it should be possible to solve the comfort issue without giving up significant legroom. I like to see rental type seats installed throughout the dome that are 2 inches wider than the current ones. Everything else the same.

To me, that is the perfect solution.
I hope you are not on the seat advisory committee

We know this was an early drawing and the roof changed in a major way, and the vision for windows for the eastern and presumably western walls has not been realized. This was probably a best case (most expensive solution) type approach.

That said, hopefully they are going to do something along these lines, where the new building is close to the same height as Barnes/Archbold. There is a big need for additional space and this is the first real opportunity to address it.

If they closed it in like the early drawing shows they could glass it all where I circled and have lots and lots of natural light. The drawing shows it pretty much enclosed all the way to the top of the concrete. The scale here is huge if you can picture how big and tall the corner of the Dome actually is. This drawing shows a ring of windows below the top of the concrete which I don't think is plausible since there are bleachers on the other side. However,

With the new roof between archbold and the dome they could certainly go with some sort of atrium style glass roof. That would be incredible.

7Capture.PNG

If they closed it in like the early drawing shows they could glass it all where I circled and have lots and lots of natural light. The drawing shows it pretty much enclosed all the way to the top of the concrete. The scale here is huge if you can picture how big and tall the corner of the Dome actually is. This drawing shows a ring of windows below the top of the concrete which I don't think is plausible since there are bleachers on the other side. However,

With the new roof between archbold and the dome they could certainly go with some sort of atrium style glass roof. That would be incredible.

View attachment 216507
I like the idea of letting some natural light into the facility.

Guessing it will happen someday. Again, my expectation is the focus will be on more practical improvements like the ones recently announced first. I think they will get to aesthetics too (like adding windows) down the road but they are probably a while away.

FYI, there is a big open space in the corners were there are no bleachers that could be opened up by replacing the concrete with windows.

dome.jpg

It would be nice sometimes but I think the sun streaming in so directly could screw up TV broadcasts and maybe be an issue for some fans.

Thinking that the belt that surrounds the northeast, east and southeast corners of the dome in the concept drawing is probably going to get built and it would ideally extend to the top of the walls and have a glass exterior (that part is shown in the drawing).

This would be a little different from the picture but then you get the natural light coming in lighting up the concourses but it doesn't intrude on the field. Maybe something like this would be the best of both worlds?

Hopefully the concourses get extended significantly and flow into the big open areas that the new event facility next store brings to the table.

It would be nice sometimes but I think the sun streaming in so directly could screw up TV broadcasts and maybe be an issue for some fans.

No doubt but -- symmetry aside -- windows in the northwest, northeast, and southeast corners shouldn't pose a problem. There's probably only two months a year when the sun would shine through the first two, and they aren't during SU's sports seasons. For the southeast side, I imagine you'd only get winter sun during mid-morning - again, not a busy time for Dome events.

The building interior is so much darker with the new roof; windows would be a really nice addition.

Guessing it will happen someday. Again, my expectation is the focus will be on more practical improvements like the ones recently announced first. I think they will get to aesthetics too (like adding windows) down the road but they are probably a while away.

FYI, there is a big open space in the corners were there are no bleachers that could be opened up by replacing the concrete with windows.

View attachment 216511

Thinking that the belt that surrounds the northeast, east and southeast corners of the dome in the concept drawing is probably going to get built and it would ideally extend to the top of the walls and have a glass exterior (that part is shown in the drawing).

This would be a little different from the picture but then you get the natural light coming in lighting up the concourses but it doesn't intrude on the field. Maybe something like this would be the best of both worlds?

Hopefully the concourses get extended significantly and flow into the big open areas that the new event facility next store brings to the table.
Yeah we sit up in the corners and not sure how I would feel about windows there. I have no idea how it would impact those sections though.

View attachment 216511

Structural concerns with punching holes in the wall? I don't know how the load is carried with the new roof.

Structural concerns with punching holes in the wall? I don't know how the load is carried with the new roof.
I don't believe the concrete sheets carry a load at all. The columns do that.

Now if memory serves, there are the X braces that were added in the corners that are structural but we aren't talking about them.

Could be wrong on this. Computer science guys are not experts in this area. But I have engineering friends who have told me this...

Now if memory serves, there are the X braces that were added in the corners that are structural but we aren't talking about them.

Could be wrong on this. Computer science guys are not experts in this area. But I have engineering friends who have told me this...
Have to defer to NJCuse97 on this. But I would guess that only the columns have weight-bearing footers, not the sheets. So cutting windows out of the sheets (aside from horizontal integrity) might actually reduce weight on the adjacent columns.

Last edited:

When Landmark was built, the assumption was that no one in Syracuse would be over 5 foot 8.

In all the venues I've ever been to, it was far and way that least amount of legroom I've ever seen.

When Landmark was built, the assumption was that no one in Syracuse would be over 5 foot 8.

In all the venues I've ever been to, it was far and way that least amount of legroom I've ever seen.
The original balcony seats, which survived until last year, were 17 inches wide. An inch less than we have in the dome now.

Yes, things were a lot different in 1928. It is good we aren’t going to have to wait 93 years for bigger seats in the dome.

I am not that patient.

Have to defer to NJCuse97 on this. But I would guess that only the columns have weight-bearing footers, not the sheets. So cutting windows out of the sheets (aside from horizontal integrity) might actually reduce weight on the adjacent columns.

I believe Tom posted this document years ago. I read it at the time, saved it, and haven't looked at it since. But it probably answers these questions.

Attachments

• PCI Journal -- The Carrier Dome -- March 1981.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Are you afraid of peeping Toms?
I’m thinking the concentrated sun beams shining through might make it too warm or interfere with the sight somehow. Don’t @ me, I’m not a scientist lol