Goodbye Benny? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Benny?

I truly don't get, absent Jalen Hurts being paid money, why he would want to subject himself to a SU basketball game 24 hours after winning the NFC Championship game.

The whole thing is bizarre and tone deaf. Who gives a flying fck about celebrities sitting at half court for SU games that have zero correlation to the program???? If it's Carmelo or an SU grad that's great but random dude from Bama...

Sunlight is the greatest disenfectant for this program
being mad about the state of college sports is a bit posters on message boards play, but won't win you any games at all... the game has always had deals and behind the scenes stuff - it's now out in the open more and it agitates some

I've felt it was very bizarre all along, maybe not a big Sat game, but random Tuesday game in a half empty dome. Just comes across as odd. JMO.

To some degree it seems experimental in trying to make waves and for people to know there are always some big names in the house... especially given ESPN made clear note of it. Always happy to anger some Bama or Oklahoma fans as their former dude is chilling at SU for a game.

It would make a lot more sense with a good product being put on the floor every game.

My only bone to pick is with the idea that the students pay his salary. Syracuse is one of the few profitable basketball programs. It makes money for the school, in amounts that far exceed Boeheim’s salary. For that reason, and others, I don’t think he should hold students in any kind of high esteem. I don’t think he’s beholden to them any more than he’s beholden to fans.

His reaction in this case was ridiculous and he honestly should apologize for reacting that way to a reasonable question, though.
Yes...but no students, no school.
And the guys who play for him...the poor guys limited to NIL's while he socks away millions...are students.
Or suposed to be.

Which reminds me...there's a really good article in this past Sunday's NY Times magazine about NILS.
Focuses on UNC...but I read it anyway not withstanding remaining bitterness over the game.

He said last year after a home blowout to Duke, we cant compete with Duke

That quote bothered me, I raised hell on that quote, and said then go home Jim and let another coach try to compete with them
He also said it about Virginia

He also said it about Virginia
Great, then its two programs he has said it about.

I can picture him saying this about Georgetown and Uconn at their heights in the Big East (sarcasm)

Fair enough and point well-taken. It seems with all the silver and empty seats in the Dome, a lot of fans are taking a step back.
People on this board complain about football prices. Basketball, which is a premium sport, is likely having the same result especially in a tightening economy. There's not much going on in CNY. People are making rational decisions.

People on this board complain about football prices. Basketball, which is a premium sport, is likely having the same result especially in a tightening economy. There's not much going on in CNY. People are making rational decisions.
Or you buy season tickets and don’t go. Has happened a lot this year.

I've felt it was very bizarre all along, maybe not a big Sat game, but random Tuesday game in a half empty dome. Just comes across as odd. JMO.
Still a nationally televised game in prime time, and a half empty Dome is likely the best attended college game this week or even month. I’m sure these celebs get a very hefty appearance fee and travel in AW’s private jet.

Still a nationally televised game in prime time, and a half empty Dome is likely the best attended college game this week or even month. I’m sure these celebs get a very hefty appearance fee and travel in AW’s private jet.
I get all that. I’m just suggesting from the outsiders view, as seen in those twitter posts, it comes across rather bizarre

Two things:

(1) Can't really blame JB on the Benny situation. The kid was given every opportunity and just couldn't get over the hump. Some might laugh, but he might end up being a decent pro w/ G-League coaching and development. He has all the tools... except maybe mentally. (Sigh)

And,
(2) personally, it's never bothered me when JB gets dickish w/ the media...not a big fan of them. It's when he bullies individual players or some kid reporter that I get po'd. At his age, he long ago stopped GAF.

Put me in the “force JB to retire” camp. I’m so over him at this point.

The SUAD or JB could have put a statement out pregame (they did, saying JB would address postgame, he didn’t in his opening statement hence why he was asked) saying BW is not in the building due to a sickness/mental health/whatever you want to call it, and they didn’t, so BW becomes an easy target for annoyed fans. That wasn’t fair to Benny.

Coach being a snarky AHole to yet another student reporter is nothing new, but it’s very different when the program is on decline. “That’s JB!” When they’re winning 25+ a season. Unfortunately, given the state of things, the snark is a tired act.

Retire, be forced to retire, or be fired. I don’t care. National search, hire GMac, whattheFever, just be done with this 78 year old man. What he did for this program is impossible to measure, but he seemingly wants to bring it back down.

Die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Hero is gone.

I'd have to think JB being a jackass to student reporters is a positive on their resume rather than a negative. Trial by fire.

Sure, it makes him look bad, I suppose, but who cares? It makes HIM look bad, not really the university or program. Word on the street is that we don't recruit, so even if recruits and their parents would care (unlikely), they don't exist.
From my perspective, it does make JB, the program, and the university look bad.
Debatable, but wonder how many times parents/coaches/advisors have steered great HS players away from signing with SU based on JB's nastiness.
I'd make that decision myself in a position to be recruited by this program.

My only bone to pick is with the idea that the students pay his salary. Syracuse is one of the few profitable basketball programs. It makes money for the school, in amounts that far exceed Boeheim’s salary. For that reason, and others, I don’t think he should hold students in any kind of high esteem. I don’t think he’s beholden to them any more than he’s beholden to fans.

His reaction in this case was ridiculous and he honestly should apologize for reacting that way to a reasonable question, though.
Agree that JB does not have to hold students in high esteem or be beholden to them.
JB represents the program and the university.
Therefore, I find his often boorish behavior very unfortunate.
Stopped watching JB's pressers a while back -seen enough.

Call them clueless, the more traction and visibility this gets, the more this angle is going to become prominent.

Then, guess what, they are going to go back through AW's very prolific and public postings of who he has "hung out" with, both at the games and elsewhere.

Then guess what, the story is now about AW, who he hangs out with and the relationship with Syracuse.

This will all happen. All of it. Because "Jalen Hurts attends Cuse game" isn't a story. WHY he is there is the story.

What will all happen? I’m not understanding your angle. Do they know Adam “pays” people to come? Or does he donate to a charity? Do they know that many people he brings he already knows or has a relationship with due to another project, endeavor, or met elsewhere like at major events, sports and non sports, that he’s attended?

Wasn’t it Virginia last year or 2 years ago in the dome when he said we can’t be expected to beat a team like that? I may be messing that quote up but I swear he said something along those lines.
Probably. He’s been singing their praises for years.

Probation could’ve been a reason 7-8 years ago or whatever.

If, year in and year out we can’t possibly expect to beat them….why? What advantage(s) do they have over us that makes it acceptable to just bow down to them every year and concede that we can’t beat them?

Sick of it.

Probably. He’s been singing their praises for years.

Probation could’ve been a reason 7-8 years ago or whatever.

If, year in and year out we can’t possibly expect to beat them….why? What advantage(s) do they have over us that makes it acceptable to just bow down to them every year and concede that we can’t beat them?

Sick of it.
Jim has and will forever use any and all excuses with one exception. Himself.

Two things...

1. I'm very critical of Boeheim right now. However, calling him a "bad person" is just stupid and lazy. He just isn't. Enough.

2. Ask some young people whether they think it's cool when we get some celebs to attend the game with Adam. The people who are complaining are probably up in age - which don't take any offense, as I'm 52. My take on it is that it probably doesn't move the needle much on recruiting BUT I do think it creates a small buzz which I welcome with how stale the program has become. Also, it's Adam's cash, so whatever.

Well, James Brown was telling about interacting with Boeheim as a young newcomer, Jimmy was very condescending and bullyish. Think it goes to show JB's treatment to student reporters, and inexperience media types.

IIRC, James Brown did the post game interview after the ‘87 NC game and asked about the 3 seconds that ran off before calling timeout at the end.

Boeheim’s response was something like “I don’t second guess myself James. I let people like you and the media do that.”

Sure, he was bitter about the defeat. But still had to throw in a jab during what was (at the time) the pinnacle for SU basketball.

And something tells me he was being disingenuous and went on to second guess that decision for then 16 years, if not longer.

2. Ask some young people whether they think it's cool when we get some celebs to attend the game with Adam. The people who are complaining are probably up in age - which don't take any offense, as I'm 52. My take on it is that it probably doesn't move the needle much on recruiting BUT I do think it creates a small buzz which I welcome with how stale the program has become. Also, it's Adam's cash, so whatever.
I was so ugly my parents had to hang a pork chop around my neck to get the dog to play with me.
Rodney Dangerfield

I appreciate Weitsman's help recruiting, but that's how I see the added Celeb Sideshow.
Prefer the days when the Main Event was enough to fill seats/draw interest.
But, as Nicknack noted, I'm not the target of this promotion!

Quite the rumors on the chat on Cuse Sports talk during Brent Axe's show today.

FWIW, Brent was actually pretty critical of JB's tone in his presser today, never seen him critical like this of JB.

Quite the rumors on the chat on Cuse Sports talk during Brent Axe's show today.

FWIW, Brent was actually pretty critical of JB's tone in his presser today, never seen him critical like this of JB.
Doesn’t Brent teach or something like that up there? I’m sure these are some of his kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom