Goodbye Benny? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Benny?

So...two points.

First, Don't see how bringing most of these celebs to Syracuse games is going to boost SU's stature for recruits, fans, players, coaches, the media or anyone else.
(The exception is flying a recruit up with a couple of big rappers. And then having him get great reception in Dome and seeing an exciting game despite the result.).

Want to boost the program's stature?
Win some games.

Second...Boeheim being nasty to student reporters is nothing new.
Two lines of thought here.

1-The students are paying his salary. He's a coach...but still in a sense considered faculty. Students are the LAST people with whom he should display that behavior.

2- That kind of response isn't appreciated by any reporter. BUT it's also a good learning experience...how to deal with unpleasant people at interviews.

Having had that experience numerous times, I'd say it's best to be polite but persistent. The reporter's response was ok. But it may have been better to respond to Boeheim questioning whether Benny's absence is the most important question by saying in a low key manner, "Perhaps not. But it's one that all of us are wondering about." Now you've disarmed him and made him think that the question is really from everyone in the room.

One more point. Why am I writing this in a thread that's supposed to be about Benny Williams?
The students don’t pay the salary of the coaches. The athletic department pays the coaches, and pays the school for the cost of the scholarships. Not sure why that is not more commonly known. In fact, it’s my understanding that years ago the school “seized” AD money from a bowl game, which hindered the AD.

So a burning question. When Benny gets back tomorrow does he roll into town on a minibike??

I appreciate Weitsman's help recruiting, but that's how I see the added Celeb Sideshow.
Prefer the days when the Main Event was enough to fill seats/draw interest.
But, as Nicknack noted, I'm not the target of this promotion!

I hear ya but can't we have it both ways? Right now it probably looks gimmicky to some because the state of our program. However, when we get it going again, I'd kinda like both things going on. Also, Adam bringing an nfl player to the game is one thing but bringing a recruit in like he did (private jet with rappers) DEFINITELY is a different thing - that just flat out helps with recruiting - how would it not. Either way, I see it as a no lose situation; it can only help even if just by a little.

People on this board complain about football prices. Basketball, which is a premium sport, is likely having the same result especially in a tightening economy. There's not much going on in CNY. People are making rational decisions.
Yes, I don’t think they'll spend their discretionary money on an inferior product, at least by Syracuse standards.

Problem with your post is that Boeheim is not a boomer. He was born in 1944 which makes him part of “The Silent Generation.”
Actually a boomer is anywhere between1944-1964. Subject to interpretation.

It is still inexpensive compared to say, a Yankees, Giants, Jets or Knicks game, a Broadway show or any other form of top-flight entertainment. What is a Jets ticket cost? The question for me is do I enjoy myself regardless of the outcome, the answer is yes. To paraphrase the late Jim Valvano, you need to think, laugh and cry every day. SU sports makes me do all three. I look forward to every game after almost 50 years of watching. I'm good!

ie - he see's something in there that makes them great but needs to push and pull it out of them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Imagine watching Bell, Benny, and Brown every single day in practice and thinking Brown deserves the least minutes of the three. Coach used to be a master talent evaluator. He has fallen off markedly in that area (along with most others).

Obviously Benny's fragility is on him, but JB really pounded on him last year. I imagine it was to toughen him up, but it made him a wreck.
Sometimes that treatment works sometimes it works the opposite.

Over the years I've seen Jim, not rip as everyone makes out, but speaks very strongly to the player he just sat. In Benny's case, it seems he has a fragile ego/personality OR just doesn't like being talked to in the way he has been.

I have played for many different coaches and you have to take what they say with a grain of salt or you're in trouble mentally.

Last edited:
My biggest frustration watching Benny play is the obvious lack of effort and energy that he displays. He just doesn’t appear to hustle as much as other guys do and have in the past. Forget the talent, athleticism, and any mental health struggles he may or may not have. It’s the effort that seems to jump out at me when watching.

I hear ya but can't we have it both ways? Right now it probably looks gimmicky to some because the state of our program. However, when we get it going again, I'd kinda like both things going on. Also, Adam bringing an nfl player to the game is one thing but bringing a recruit in like he did (private jet with rappers) DEFINITELY is a different thing - that just flat out helps with recruiting - how would it not. Either way, I see it as a no lose situation; it can only help even if just by a little.

Remember the whole "New York's College Team"-thingy on NYC taxicabs? I absolutely loved that! Why? It got people talking. I remember walking on Broadway and feeling proud as hell seeing that driving by, and couldn't care less what anyone had to say about it!
Probably the same folks griping about bringing in celebs to the Dome, which I also love...and for similar reasons, were the ones turning their noses at that campaign. It's marketing...the object of which is to get your attention. I hope Adam keeps doing it, and can't wait to see who he brings next.

My biggest frustration watching Benny play is the obvious lack of effort and energy that he displays. He just doesn’t appear to hustle as much as other guys do and have in the past. Forget the talent, athleticism, and any mental health struggles he may or may not have. It’s the effort that seems to jump out at me when watching.
Lack of effort or energy?

I see crazy, manic energy that doesn’t connect to the number of positive outcomes one would hope for…

Put me in the “force JB to retire” camp. I’m so over him at this point.

The SUAD or JB could have put a statement out pregame (they did, saying JB would address postgame, he didn’t in his opening statement hence why he was asked) saying BW is not in the building due to a sickness/mental health/whatever you want to call it, and they didn’t, so BW becomes an easy target for annoyed fans. That wasn’t fair to Benny.

Coach being a snarky AHole to yet another student reporter is nothing new, but it’s very different when the program is on decline. “That’s JB!” When they’re winning 25+ a season. Unfortunately, given the state of things, the snark is a tired act.

Retire, be forced to retire, or be fired. I don’t care. National search, hire GMac, whattheFever, just be done with this 78 year old man. What he did for this program is impossible to measure, but he seemingly wants to bring it back down.

Die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Hero is gone.

Benny situation is about #10 for me for the reasons I want this to be JB's last year.

But its a legit complaint he screwed up this one in all ways and should have cut bait in the summer but didn't. Our 4 freshmen recruits who could have taken his minutes have all been solid too.

Remember the whole "New York's College Team"-thingy on NYC taxicabs? I absolutely loved that! Why? It got people talking. I remember walking on Broadway and feeling proud as hell seeing that driving by, and couldn't care less what anyone had to say about it!
Probably the same folks griping about bringing in celebs to the Dome, which I also love...and for similar reasons, were the ones turning their noses at that campaign. It's marketing...the object of which is to get your attention. I hope Adam keeps doing it, and can't wait to see who he brings next.

New basketball coach is desperately needed so we can unleash some new marketing.

No program has the marketing potential of Syracuse. Our home games draw more people than the NBA if we are humming and where we should be we can market ourselves as a bigger draw than an NBA team.0

Change the base uniforms with the coach the Flynn team was a lifetime ago.

What can you market for Kentucky? The Golden Corral in Lexington?

As much as JB won here over the years the truth is that we might have been able to be even better especially in the 80s and have a Wooden UCLA type of run if we got a coach that was good in the tournament and brought in the talent we did and had the exposure we did and the Dome. We're like an east coast UCLA for our market but unlike UCLA and like Ohio State in football where we don't share our backyard with anyone. Huge program and potential. Just need a new look.

Lack of effort or energy?

I see crazy, manic energy that doesn’t connect to the number of positive outcomes one would hope for…
That’s playing out of control and being emotional, hence freaking out after dropping a rebound and ripping his jersey.

What I see from him is a lack of effort in the zone and on the boards ‍♂️ it seems obvious to me

He worries too much about scoring. He’s not a bad shooter, but he just want to shoot jumpers. Vary seldom does he hang around the rim. Teammates shoot and he watches instead of going to the rim. He just doesn’t have instincts on the court. He seems like a great kid, but a little fragile emotionally. I hope he can figure it out.

Benny situation is about #10 for me for the reasons I want this to be JB's last year.

But its a legit complaint he screwed up this one in all ways and should have cut bait in the summer but didn't. Our 4 freshmen recruits who could have taken his minutes have all been solid too.
Wrong. The staff needed Benny to come back to help land Judah. Benny was a important aspect of that recruitment because the two are friends. Ask Dasher, Bulldog and others.

He worries too much about scoring. He’s not a bad shooter, but he just want to shoot jumpers. Vary seldom does he hang around the rim. Teammates shoot and he watches instead of going to the rim. He just doesn’t have instincts on the court. He seems like a great kid, but a little fragile emotionally. I hope he can figure it out.
Has little to no feel for the game. The difference in affect, especially on the court, between he and Maliq is glaring.

Wrong. The staff needed Benny to come back to help land Judah. Benny was a important aspect of that recruitment because the two are friends. Ask Dasher, Bulldog and others.

Thats a fair point. I wouldn't want to see this team without Mintz.

We're in a tough spot with him though not good enough to close/win games but probably gone.

Has little to no feel for the game. The difference in affect, especially on the court, between he and Maliq is glaring.
Not sure Maliq is even that good hes Taurean but way smarter.

Wildly different player and style and I like his upside if he stays and improves but Brown is just a productive and reliable rotation forward not an anchor.

Williams is unplayable most nights maybe 1 out of every 5 games he hustles and the ball falls to him and he does some things but I don't recall anyone as bad being force fed that many minutes 2 seasons in a row for us.

No hard feelings not all his fault of course we should have had better wings on the roster last year but JB booted them out of the program to make sure Jimmy B would play starters minutes.

Imagine watching Bell, Benny, and Brown every single day in practice and thinking Brown deserves the least minutes of the three. Coach used to be a master talent evaluator. He has fallen off markedly in that area (along with most others).

I think part of it though is he still manages his bench and roster like it's 1988 and treats everyone like they will stay for 3 or 4 years. He expects freshmen to be happy with whatever scraps they get, even if it's nothing. But then once you've paid your dues, you're pretty much safe no matter what or who is behind you. Needless to say, this just isn't a workable system with the transfer portal and the era of one-and-dones. Especially the portal, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom