Goodbye Benny? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Benny?

He’s right - the most important question was why the team blew another game late. But your five star recruit bailing on the team was a close second.

As I’ve said for years, this stuff is only going to get worse. His type of personality combined with losing and trying to hold onto power always ends in the same predictable way. It’s time. Someone close to him needs to get him to go.

Just observing the board’s reaction to the loss tonight, and added to that, the Benny Williams no show.

Seems like people get down when we lose which is natural and especially when there is another event taking place that no one really knows the answer to. Not a good night.

Some take JB too hard. He is what he is, an older, tough son of a bitch who handles the press the way he does. He is what he is. Aside from the student reporter, I didn’t see anything to call ridiculous. At this point, you like him or hate him and wish he’d leave, now.

The team, 11-18 from the line and 3 -15 from the 3? They were 12-15 from the line and 9 – 21 from the 3. So they win shooting better free throws. If we go 17-18 at the line, we win by one to #6 Virginia. Except for two games, our losses haven’t been by a huge margin. Tonight by 5, NC by 4, Mia by 4, ND by 4, V by 7, Pitt by 2. And, we are not, IMO, a very good team but we try like hell.

We run hot and cold like Joe runs hot and cold, 28 at GT, then single digits including tonight. Without his scoring it makes a big difference. Without Mintz, it would have been a blowout. And, Joe and Jesse won’t be here next year. That’s big.

This will not be a good year. It will be another losing season. I said that last year. I can imagine how this board will react to that if it does come to fruition.

Benny Williams doesn’t show up on a game night at the Dome on a game night at Syracuse University in front of 19,272 fans?

That he didn’t show up is outrageous. Nice example for the rest of the team. On the other hand, who knows, maybe someone in his family IS I’ll.

The only thing to do is wait for an announcement.
He’s holding the program hostage. We stink and he does nothing different. It’s the definition of insanity.

I’m a neophyte when it comes to JB’s press conferences. Just never watched them. Watched this one after reading this thread. Just wow…the way he talks to and treats people is just alarMing. What a horrible person. And he’s been like this for decades!? And i definitely see him berate players during games, and thought that’s just coaching….I’ve experienced that. But it’s deeper. He’s just a bad person

He’s holding the program hostage. We stink and he does nothing different. It’s the definition of insanity.
Not him, his boosters are the ones holding the program hostage. boosters at any other top 10 school would have sent him packing 2 or 3 years into the decline. Yet here we are in year NINE and we’re still hearing crap about equity.

I’m a neophyte when it comes to JB’s press conferences. Just never watched them. Watched this one after reading this thread. Just wow…the way he talks to and treats people is just alarMing. What a horrible person. And he’s been like this for decades!? And i definitely see him berate players during games, and thought that’s just coaching….I’ve experienced that. But it’s deeper. He’s just a bad person
And he’s worse the lower down you are in importance. He’s always rough on the Newhouse kids.

When you win people tolerate your churlish behavior and call it feisty. When you don't you win people begin to realize you are a narcissist and a jerk.
Personally I’ve always found JB’s press conference behavior to be garbage and embarrassing for the university. Even when we were winning.

That he seems to reserve his most douchey moments for student reporters makes it even worse.

He’s a bully. And it has always sucked.

If your response to a post game question about an absent player is to sarcastically answer about how it's such an unimportant question, what does that say about Boeheim's opinion of the absent player's contributions? He might think he was protecting Benny but it might've been nice to say we look forward to him coming back and helping us win a close one like this even if you didn't believe it

Personally I’ve always found JB’s press conference behavior to be garbage and embarrassing for the university. Even when we were winning.

That he seems to reserve his most douchey moments for student reporters makes it even worse.

I believe the folks who know him who say he’s a great person. And I acknowledge all the wonderful things he has done for the community and the program.

But man he can be insufferable to strangers and the media. He was a jerk to me when he asked me for directions once in Newhouse. He’s been this way in the media forever. His style and generation is outdated for a reason. I’m glad younger generations have embraced therapy a little bit more.

If your response to a post game question about an absent player is to sarcastically answer about how it's such an unimportant question, what does that say about Boeheim's opinion of the absent player's contributions? He might think he was protecting Benny but it might've been nice to say we look forward to him coming back and helping us win a close one like this even if you didn't believe it
Not in his wheelhouse.

Yup. Also when you’re winning you don’t need the media. When you’re losing….well better turn on that charm. There’s a reason Calipari is so good at the media. He understands how to leverage it to his benefit.

My stance on boeheim being able to stay pretty much as long as he wants is in spite of this - you are right and I'm glad the kid came right back at him

i wonder what kind of trouble his big mouth gets him with the ncaa. quite probable that he's made a lot of enemies there too

He’s not a bad person. He’s a good father, a good friend, a loyal ally to his ex-players, and has done a ton for the CNY community (without obsessively seeking out the spotlight, as some do).

But he’s a bully who punches down in certain circumstances. We’re all human, we’re complicated, and this thing he does has always made me think less of him.

But I don’t think he’s a bad person.

Yup. Also when you’re winning you don’t need the media. When you’re losing….well better turn on that charm. There’s a reason Calipari is so good at the media. He understands how to leverage it to his benefit.
last year the big question was why are we losing every close game with a role player transfer playing hero ball at the end of games? imagine how that would've gone

My stance on boeheim being able to stay pretty much as long as he wants is in spite of this - you are right and I'm glad the kid came right back at him

i wonder what kind of trouble his big mouth gets him with the ncaa. quite probable that he's made a lot of enemies there too
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we’ve been on probation twice for infractions that weren’t really all that serious in the grand scheme of things.

I’m pretty confident that he acted like an ass to the NCAA and that added to their desire to punish us.

Why do we watch the post game interview anyway? It is not like Boeheim provides any real insight.

When it is a loss, it is always because the team is not executing, rebounding or scoring enough to win and the other team is a real good team. Once in awhile he adds that the team played hard.

When it is a win, his commentary is that the other team is a real good team, our team play hard, the team rebounded well and we were able to take advantage of the other team’s mistakes.

in either situation, he will throw in a line about how well one player played or how another player is not doing what they need to do.

So, what is so enlightening about his post game interview?

Yet, I have been waiting for or watching them for almost 56 years. Man, you think I would learn a long time ago.

Why do we watch the post game interview anyway? It is not like Boeheim provides any real insight.

When it is a loss, it is always because the team is not executing, rebounding or scoring enough to win and the other team is a real good team. Once in awhile he adds that the team played hard.

When it is a win, his commentary is that the other team is a real good team, our team play hard, the team rebounded well and we were able to take advantage of the other team’s mistakes.

in either situation, he will throw in a line about how well one player played or how another player is not doing what they need to do.

so what is so enlightening about his post game interview.

Yet, I have been waiting for or watching them for almost 56 years. Man, you think I would learn.
We’re all waiting for him to acknowledge that some times, the loss was on him for his decision making, preparation, etc.

We’re all waiting for him to acknowledge that some times, the loss was on him for his decision making, preparation, etc.

So we’re waiting for lip service. I don’t think there’s ever been a coach worth his salt who genuinely thought a loss was on him. Maybe once in a blue moon.

Coaches say things.

It’s funny, most people hate Bill Belichick. But whenever the Pats lose the very first thing he’ll say in his presser is that he, and his staff, didn’t do enough. And he means it, he’s been saying forever that players play and that’s who wins. But when they lose, it’s on the coaches for not preparing, planning or adjusting well enough.

Not what we tend to hear around these parts.

So we’re waiting for lip service. I don’t think there’s ever been a coach worth his salt who genuinely thought a loss was on him. Maybe once in a blue moon.

Coaches say things.
Yeah. I’d rather hear him say bad things about himself than 19 year old kids who he selected, prepared, and left in the game for long periods of time despite them supposedly not doing something the way he wanted.

Yeah. I’d rather hear him say bad things about himself than 19 year old kids who he selected, prepared, and left in the game for long periods of time despite them supposedly not doing something the way he wanted.

This is where Hopkins used to come in and balance things out. I have no problem with him criticizing 19 year olds publicly, especially ones making money now. Boeheim is fair in his criticisms usually. “He won’t rebound. Idk why but he won’t do it.” “He missed wide open shots. He needs to make wide open shots.” Stuff like that is fine, imo. He’ll add a little color here or there but it’s mostly straight forward. I don’t think, “we didn’t teach him how to rebound as good as we needed to” does anybody any good.

The problem we’ve seemed to have lately is players going into sad puppy mode instead of getting better. And I wonder if that’s because the current assistants aren’t like Hopkins and aren’t able to build these players back up.

I’m not at practices. Maybe the staff is rolling balls out and not teaching these guys how basketball works. I doubt it, but maybe.

He’s not a bad person. He’s a good father, a good friend, a loyal ally to his ex-players, and has done a ton for the CNY community (without obsessively seeking out the spotlight, as some do).

But he’s a bully who punches down in certain circumstances. We’re all human, we’re complicated, and this thing he does has always made me think less of him.

But I don’t think he’s a bad person.
Ok. Maybe saying he’s a bad person was too much. But I definitely have a different view of him, and it’s not a good one

Why does Coach need to acknowledge anything to the fans. He has been consistent for 46 years. He isn’t the one who has let the standards drop without changes.

Coach treated Benny very fairly.

Abyssinia, Benny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom