Gotta love Shaf | Syracusefan.com

Gotta love Shaf

Rocco

Watching you.
Led this team to 7 wins. Has the players' undivided support. Now let's close out strong on this class and continue to get better as a team. I'm not going to lie, I didn't think there was any chance this team would end the year with 7 wins and another bowl trophy. Can't wait for 2014 already.

-be9ec71eba039795.jpg

-0593d437e274badf.jpg

-a3c62e239edfee61.jpg

-8cc204604db228ae.jpg

-aa0bf91708321be6.jpg

This was always a seven or eight win team. The pieces and the schedule were there.

Very good job overall managing the transition.

Only left one win on the field this year, which was Pitt.

Some might also say Penn State, but overall a successful year in a year when we were very vulnerable - new coaches, new league, many lost anchors to our offense especially.

Great pics. Some pictures really are worth a thousand words, and these fit the bill. To me HCSS is a humble warrior who leads with his heart. I love the authenticity he brings. At the same time I'm fairly certain that HCSS will find more balance between those emotions and his attention to details because I've already seen him grow in that direction. He said this team would be high character and that they would play hard nosed for 60 every game, and his players backed him up. In my mind that's another great picture. A year ago SU football was adrift in uncertainty, and now HCSS has this program squarely on the beam!

Yep, he did a very good job this year to hold things together. A bunch of credit needs to be given to the senior class too. Let's see if Shafer can do it going forward. I'm still having a hard time with the full buy-in. Success right off the bat is not unheard of with an assistant stepping up to head coach. We've had our own experience of it. More recently, Bill Stewart, Larry Coker, and Chris Petersen could claim the same. Only Chris Petersen kept things going, though. Hopefully we have our Chris Petersen.

Marrone who?

LOL ... yeah that guy ... if not for Marrone there is no Shafer ... Marrone got the ball rolling ... Shafer will cultivate it into a steamroller ... I loved Marrone and hated to see him go but I think Shafer is just flat out built for this ... and he will take this program up another notch.

LOL ... yeah that guy ... if not for Marrone there is no Shafer ... Marrone got the ball rolling ... Shafer will cultivate it into a steamroller ... I loved Marrone and hated to see him go but I think Shafer is just flat out built for this ... and he will take this program up another notch.

My sentiments exactly. Shafer will make us forget about the way DM left and the only thing left will be a gratitude for the job he did.

You people are screwed up. Doug wasn't just a coach for Syracuse, he played for the orange under Coach Mac. He is an esteemed alumni and is working in a position at the top of his profession. If you don't think he loves the old 44, you are dead wrong. In fact he cared enough to keep the negotiations private even though it makes him look bad. That's all I got,

You people are screwed up. Doug wasn't just a coach for Syracuse, he played for the orange under Coach Mac. He is an esteemed alumni and is working in a position at the top of his profession. If you don't think he loves the old 44, you are dead wrong. In fact he cared enough to keep the negotiations private even though it makes him look bad. That's all I got,

Where did anyone say he didn't love SU? Shafer is better suited for the college game from his energy and time with the kids right down to recruiting ... and Shafer is here because of Marrone. Marrone got the ship steered in the right direction and things are improving year in and year out ... that is all that has been said. If that is all you've got ... you've got nothing that hasn't been stated before ...

This team was good enough to have two more wins to (Pitt and ped st), to think this was close to being a 9 win team is nuts. 7 wins was real good for his bunch in year 1.

These guys are going to get it done.

I remember reading an article way back in the 80s which detailed one writer's opinion on what types of coaches are best suited to program building tasks. Distilled down, he essentially said that when a program is in the tank, the new coach needs to be a disciplinarian, a guy who makes tough decisions, and oversees change. But shortly after that, programs need a players' coach, a guy who is more of a hands-on teacher and motivator. I think that pretty much sums up both Marrone and Shafer. Both good coaches, two different personalities and styles. I think we got the Marrone hire right, and were fortunate enough to have the next guy right on the staff.

Get over yourself. Marrone gets credit for restoring the program from just about everyone on this board. Some of us however refuse to grant him sainthood. He proved to be pretty thin skinned and left for a big pay check. Nothing wrong with that but he got pretty testy and I think a bit bitter at the end. He is a good coach but is not that well suited to the particular requirements of being a college HC and all that it entails, which is more than just coaching. He will probably prove to be a successful NFL HC.

This staff is doing a great job recruiting and in their first year came within one win of matching DM's best season. Some of that credit belongs to DM but most of it goes to the current staff.

Get over yourself. Marrone gets credit for restoring the program from just about everyone on this board. Some of us however refuse to grant him sainthood. He proved to be pretty thin skinned and left for a big pay check. Nothing wrong with that but he got pretty testy and I think a bit bitter at the end. He is a good coach but is not that well suited to the particular requirements of being a college HC and all that it entails, which is more than just coaching. He will probably prove to be a successful NFL HC.

This staff is doing a great job recruiting and in their first year came within one win of matching DM's best season. Some of that credit belongs to DM but most of it goes to the current staff.
Fine, be a sycophant. When the staff pay structure is based on what the head coach makes and he was making about as much as the assistant coaches make at the top
25 a schools there is a problem. And that is going to be a problem with the current staff if Scott leads them to a better season next year.

I get it, if you have nothing to say change the subject. Let me go find some adults.

Its a hell of a lot better than watching Edsall dance like a moron.
That dude just annoys the hell out of me. That arrogant look which makes me want to go all Three Stooges on him.