great experience today during the game | Syracusefan.com

great experience today during the game

JJ44

Walk On
I'm not one to post often. It was great to see the team come out and play the way we know they are capable of. We shot it well, rebounded, got 50/50 balls it was a good effort.

On top of it I got to watch the game with the program's greatest player! Seated at a table talking hoops and life in general. It was a blast!!! It will be a memorable sports moment for me for sure.

I'm not one to post often. It was great to see the team come out and play the way we know they are capable of. We shot it well, rebounded, got 50/50 balls it was a good effort.

On top of it I got to watch the game with the program's greatest player! Seated at a table talking hoops and life in general. It was a blast!!! It will be a memorable sports moment for me for sure.

You were with Mookie? :p

Mr Bing? Mr Anthony?

upload_2016-3-18_22-58-36.jpeg

You know, there's been a lot of teases on this board lately. :rolleyes: I am so glad you came clean relatively quickly!

So, you were with Derrick? Please tell us more! What was he like as a fan? How did he root? What did he eat? Did he spill any secrets from his off-the-court life at Syracuse? Hmmmmm? Did he whisper to you the meaning of life? Cos I really want to know that!

We live in the same town. I met him a few years ago at something I participated in at Cuse. So we watched the game with another alum buddy at a local cigar bar.

Great perspective mostly around the mentality of our players. He loves Richardson. Watching the game with him you can see that fierce competitiveness. For what it's worth he should be coaching our bigs.

I will tell you he is very committed to the community. We talked lot about the positive things he and others are trying to get done. He cares about his town and helping the people. There's no question he is on a mission. I tip my hat to the man.

Best part of the day was my buddy had no idea he was coming! I wish I had a picture of his face...classic.

Let's get this next W!! LGO

We live in the same town. I met him a few years ago at something I participated in at Cuse. So we watched the game with another alum buddy at a local cigar bar.

Great perspective mostly around the mentality of our players. He loves Richardson. Watching the game with him you can see that fierce competitiveness. For what it's worth he should be coaching our bigs.

I will tell you he is very committed to the community. We talked lot about the positive things he and others are trying to get done. He cares about his town and helping the people. There's no question he is on a mission. I tip my hat to the man.

Best part of the day was my buddy had no idea he was coming! I wish I had a picture of his face...classic.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

You should ask him if he has ever thought or been approached by SU to be an assistant for the bigs?

I did and he hasn't been approached.

Right, the staff's aware that Derrick is "interested" but not really interested, if you catch my drift.

He did complete his coursework a couple years ago -- and a four-year degree is of course a prerequisite -- but we haven't had any openings in that time. Further, if they were to hire someone with no D-I coaching experience, I'm told it'd be a Herm Harried/Troy Weaver type with institutional experience and recruiting connections. Derrick will probably have to make a few moves to put himself into that position; unfortunately, for a guy pushing 50, a lot of lower-profile schools probably aren't opening their doors to him.

OttoMets said:
Right, the staff's aware that Derrick is "interested" but not really interested, if you catch my drift. He did complete his coursework a couple years ago -- and a four-year degree is of course a prerequisite -- but we haven't had any openings in that time. Further, if they were to hire someone with no D-I coaching experience, I'm told it'd be a Herm Harried/Troy Weaver type with institutional experience and recruiting connections. Derrick will probably have to make a few moves to put himself into that position; unfortunately, for a guy pushing 50, a lot of lower-profile schools probably aren't opening their doors to him.

Does he have any coaching experience at all? He would have to come in at a non-recruiting position.

Would he give up all of his excellent community work in Detroit?

Does he have enough serious interest to start at the bottom?

Does he have any coaching experience at all? He would have to come in at a non-recruiting position.

Would he give up all of his excellent community work in Detroit?

Does he have enough serious interest to start at the bottom?

Exactly, tough position to be in, especially when someone has extra-curricular interests like Derrick apparently does with civic engagement in Michigan. Oddly, guys who have such a long NBA career can be at a sort of disadvantage (the Gerry McNamaras have a jump on these positions while others are putting in long hours playing professionally).

It's difficult for a former player to commit to getting in on the ground floor; we saw what happened to Z with his experience here. Allen Griffin had a better go of it, but coming in as a video coordinator or player development assistant coordinator is still what many would consider an unpleasant job. Low pay, subordinate to guys who may be younger or less capable than you, brutal hours and travel. Watching film for hours at the end of a full business day is really miserable (unless you're fortunate enough to like that kind of thing). It's a really tough business.

I don't want to speculate on Derrick, but it's understandable if he doesn't want to pay those dues in order to get a job, especially at his age (and if he's got any financial means).

Good discussion. I have wondered for some time why DC did not get more involved with our "bigs". His work a few years back with Rick Jackson seemed to pay dividends. I recall it being a "lefty" thing, both being left handed.

Thanks for filling in a few gaps.
LGO.

He's Derrick freaking Coleman. Why does he need all that other garbage to teach our big men how to score the basketball?

Seriously, it reminds me of this movie I recently watched called "Waffle Street", where the protagonist(based on real life) needed 1000 hours worked at the waffle house before he could buy it, and the nonsense of the rule gets revealed(I wont spoil it). I give the film a thumbs up, if anyone cares. I might have liked it as much as the related movie, The Big Short(which was good, even though it did not have Biggie Shorty in it).

If DC really was interested, I'd be all for cutting such a legend and community service guy a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom