Great teams find a way to win | Syracusefan.com

Great teams find a way to win

Do u really think at this point we are a "great" team? we are very good - one of the top teams in mix and playing for a title but a great team? we have won a lot of close games and two most recently improbable games where 1 play decided the game - I want the other team that is clearly inferior to have to make 5 plays late to beat us - not one - we need to rout BC - I'm not saying we cant be a great team but right now anyone not looking through orange glasses will tell u we r one of the top teams (along with at least 5 others) that are real contenders for the title

Do u really think at this point we are a "great" team? we are very good - one of the top teams in mix and playing for a title but a great team? we have won a lot of close games and two most recently improbable games where 1 play decided the game - I want the other team that is clearly inferior to have to make 5 plays late to beat us - not one - we need to rout BC - I'm not saying we cant be a great team but right now anyone not looking through orange glasses will tell u we r one of the top teams (along with at least 5 others) that are real contenders for the title

We need to BEAT BC. Winning by 1 is the same as winning by 20 the last time I checked. The thing that gets forgotten here is that there are always two teams on the floor that want to win. And we are ALWAYS getting the other team's best effort. 12-0 in league, 25-0 overall? Yes, we are a great team that can get better. Great teams find a way to win...I'm pretty confident that we will continue to do so...and yes, we are absolutely in the mix to go a long way in March.

you don't get to 25-0 without being a great team. we are just that.

So then, does that mean that Wichita State is a great team, and Florida is not?

So then, does that mean that Wichita State is a great team, and Florida is not?
Neutral court I'd take Wichita state over Florida. Florida has been playing patty cake for 2 months.

you don't get to 25-0 without being a great team. we are just that.
This is pretty amazing. We have played 12 conference games so far. We have won six of them by six points or less. On the average we have won the 12 games by 8.2 points but if you take out our 20 pt win vs VT we have won the remaining 11 by 7.1 ppg. That's a couple three pointers here or there. Some people might call us lucky. I would prefer the term great.

This is pretty amazing. We have played 12 conference games so far. We have won six of them by six points or less. On the average we have won the 12 games by 8.2 points but if you take out our 20 pt win vs VT we have won the remaining 11 by 7.1 ppg. That's a couple three pointers here or there. Some people might call us lucky. I would prefer the term great.
Hey we beat a team that was 9-0 against top 5 teams on their home court, I'm sure that record included beating a couple national champions btw. Great team wins titles, we need to win a ship!

We find a way to win.

We are a great team.

Bees, if great is the adjective used to describe a team that wins many close games, then what is the adjective used to describe teams (like say, those Duke teams from 10-15 years ago) that would just wipe the floor with average competition by 20+ points? Is there a level above "great?" I think we are a very good and very clutch team, but I agree with Boeheim who says that there are no great teams in college basketball this season, but rather a number of very good teams.

Check out previous national champions, virtually every national champion was in tight games with some losses. I just looked up the 2007 Gators randomly. They had 5 losses, 3 or 4 close games and back to back double digit losses on the road. I thought they had a great team that year.

"Great" in this case means that it does take greatness to continually overcome adversity and still win at the end every time. So in that sense, the team is great. However, the team is not necessarily dominating in that they do not dominate their opponent. It would be nice if Cuse was a little more dominating so our collective blood pressures each game would be lower. Nevertheless, it doesn't take dominating to win an NC, it just takes greatness. That's what this team is. Heck, throw a little luck in their too just for the heck of it if some people want to call it that.

In an attempt to be confrontational, Bees, redefines "Greatness" to somehow include this team that struggles regularly against mediocrities and might even be considered more "lucky" than "great".

Is this team "great"? Sure. If you define "great" down enough.

I don't think Bees is serious in this claim. I think its a transparent attempt at picking fights.

This edition of the Orange has some very, very good players who are able to rise to the occasion and make plays when they have to.

My definition of a "great" team would be one that didn't have to have these individual acts of brilliance quite so often.

This team passes the record test - lately it has not passed the eye test. If we don't start passing the eye test ASAP we will soon need a prescription.

Townie72 said:
In an attempt to be confrontational, Bees, redefines "Greatness" to somehow include this team that struggles regularly against mediocrities and might even be considered more "lucky" than "great". Is this team "great"? Sure. If you define "great" down enough. I don't think Bees is serious in this claim. I think its a transparent attempt at picking fights. This edition of the Orange has some very, very good players who are able to rise to the occasion and make plays when they have to. My definition of a "great" team would be one that didn't have to have these individual acts of brilliance quite so often.

Damn, you figured me out. Lol. Was that a serious post? Pretty strange one if you ask me.

Here's another nugget. In games where we were tied or behind in the last minute of regulation or OT, we have out scored the opponent 17-0. Great teams do that.

Last edited:
Damn, you figured me out. Lol. Was that a serious post? Pretty strange one if you asked me.

Here's another nugget. In games where we were tied or behind in the last minute of regulation or OT, we have out scored the opponent 17-0. Great teams do that.
Also true but great teams dominate, now and then.

Arizona and Pitt both lost close games to what they consider to be inferior opponents.

End of game, SU generally executes as well as or better than anyone this year.

He's not well regarded around here, but former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano had a saying "keep on chopping." That really applies to SU in close games. The Orange just keep on chopping, and eventually the trees keep on falling.

kuethstheman said:
Also true but great teams dominate, now and then.

Yes they do, and we have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom