Great teams find a way to win | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Great teams find a way to win

Nope.

Find me a word that matches up to this definition, "Barely surpasses the below average and average on a consistent basis."

By the way, without the goal tending, does CJ Fair's last second shot go in?
You find it - maybe there is one in your universe.

realorange said:
I'll still go with JB's description of this and other teams. We are a very good team, but there are several other very good teams. There are no great teams this year. If we are great this year, how well do we do against say the 1989 'Cuse team? It would be very obvious we aren't a great team when that mauling was over. If you want to compare us with other teams this year and felt you had to have great be the one on top, well I guess then we are.

JB would never say we are a great team. I doubt he has ever used that term to describe any of his teams during the season. He has to be micro and looking to improve. After the season he can be a bit more macro.

OK.

So it's total wins and no defeats that determine greatness?

When does "greatness" kick in?

Is 10-0 great?

What about 15-0?

How about 20-0?

And if 25-0 is "great" what superlative do we use to describe 33-0 or 66-0 over two seasons?
What if we ran the table on the entire season, 40-0. And never won by more than 1 Would we not be great?

But we almost lost a few games. So very tainted! Some of these guys here. Can't tell if they're serious or just practicing their "master debater" skills. Either way, pretty sad. I'm sure the team would love to receive such encouragement.
:rolling:

I asked you this question last night in the chat room... and you answered by leaving the chat...

Since you always refer to SU as "you," what team do you root for anyhow?

Most visitors here are upfront about their rooting interests. You seem to be hiding behind a snow-covered region.

Visitors are welcome here ... if they are well=behaved and honest about where they "come from."

Fess up, kid.
Storz fan. He was trolling in another thread.

EDIT: And poof! Just like that, he's gone! ;)

JB would never say we are a great team. I doubt he has ever used that term to describe any of his teams during the season. He has to be micro and looking to improve. After the season he can be a bit more macro.
When he said that he was referring to the NCAA teams of the 80s into the 90s where you had four year players of NBA caliber. That's why he said there are no great teams today---ours or anyone elses.

Just looked up the -76 Hoosiers. They beat Purdue by 3 and by 4. They beat Mich in OT and by 6. They beat Ohio st by 2. And ND by 3. I guess they weren't great. Plus, only 31-0

you don't get to 25-0 without being a great team. we are just that.
JB said in his aftergame news conference that he sees this team more like a 20 - 5 team. You can be 25-0 and dominate but this team has some how found a way to win those 5 games. I agree. Agreat team should be dominating more. JB points out that they have had really only 1 easy conference game. They stuggle to much on offense. they are good team with a long way to go. If they get to a point whete they play offense like the Duke game at least most of the time, then they can be great.

Just looked up the -76 Hoosiers. They beat Purdue by 3 and by 4. They beat Mich in OT and by 6. They beat Ohio st by 2. And ND by 3. I guess they weren't great. Plus, only 31-0
I know you are trying to make a point, but in the tourney indiana beat the #2, 5, 7, 9, and 18 teams in the country, including the 1975 national champ 27-3 ucla, and the 1977 national champ 27-2 Marquette. The ff games they won by 14 and 18, so it isn't as if all their games were nail biters.

:)
I can't believe part of our own "fan" base argues as to whether this team is great or not.
Self-trolls:
We have won every game to this point.
Yet somehow, you should feel bad.
Just because u don't think the team is GREAT, doesn't mean u feel bad.(unless it is all the heart attacks you've had watching them!). I'm as happy as can be that they are undefeated.

Nope.

Find me a word that matches up to this definition, "Barely surpasses the below average and average on a consistent basis."

By the way, without the goal tending, does CJ Fair's last second shot go in?
Yes. It was in the cylinder when the NC State player pushed it out. No doubt it would have been good.

I asked you this question last night in the chat room... and you answered by leaving the chat...

Most visitors here are upfront about their rooting interests. You seem to be hiding behind a snow-covered region.

Visitors are welcome here ... if they are well=behaved and honest about where they "come from."

Fess up, kid.

CTO, he revealed in a thread on Friday that he was a uconn fan.

Thus far, he's made about 15 posts--all of which have been oriented toward bashing SU. This isn't a poster interested in discourse or dialogue. As stated above, time to take out the trash.

In an attempt to be confrontational, Bees, redefines "Greatness" to somehow include this team that struggles regularly against mediocrities and might even be considered more "lucky" than "great".

Is this team "great"? Sure. If you define "great" down enough.

I don't think Bees is serious in this claim. I think its a transparent attempt at picking fights.

This edition of the Orange has some very, very good players who are able to rise to the occasion and make plays when they have to.

My definition of a "great" team would be one that didn't have to have these individual acts of brilliance quite so often.

I can understand this thinking, but then again you were expecting us to have at least a handful of losses by now.

I'm still waiting for that first one...

I'm not ready to say we're great... yet.

BTW, the above is a joke--I can't stand when people make those type of posts. I don't think anybody is implying that this team is unbeatable, but it is pretty foolish to not look at what the team has accomplished thus far and not qualify them as "great," by any definition.

I have no interest in splitting hairs over how one person defines "great" versus another person--but I will say that if you aren't convinced that this team is one of the top 3 teams in the country, you haven't really been paying attention.

Great teams in any sport make you tune in just because you want to see them go down. And just when it looks like it's going to happen, that moment when you start bragging online, just after you send that text to your brother, they turn around and pull it out. From nowhere.

Seen enough great teams in many different sports pass through... I think we have something here.

I know you are trying to make a point, but in the tourney indiana beat the #2, 5, 7, 9, and 18 teams in the country, including the 1975 national champ 27-3 ucla, and the 1977 national champ 27-2 Marquette. The ff games they won by 14 and 18, so it isn't as if all their games were nail biters.
we haven't played in the tournament yet. At this point in the season, the Hoosiers had close games. I sure am not saying that we will roll in the tournament like that. I hope we roll in the tournament like we have been. It would be good enough for me.

we haven't played in the tournament yet. At this point in the season, the Hoosiers had close games. I sure am not saying that we will roll in the tournament like that. I hope we roll in the tournament like we have been. It would be good enough for me.
Every team has close games, but we have had more than our share. Don't get me wrong i could care less if we win every game for the rest of the season by one point. I think that is plenty good enough for all of us...

Fess up, kid.
Really?
you can't tell he/it is a ucon doofus suffering from a bad case of Syracuse envy in his/its mouf?

I don't think we will ever see another dominant team in college Basketball. With guys leaving after 1-2 years it has created so much parity that it is unfair to compare teams now to teams in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I think Kentucky 1996 was the last truly dominant team in College Basketball.

Winning is a skill. This team has it. Expecting to win is a mindset. This program has it.

I don't think we will ever see another dominant team in college Basketball. With guys leaving after 1-2 years it has created so much parity that it is unfair to compare teams now to teams in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I think Kentucky 1996 was the last truly dominant team in College Basketball.
You know I was just thinking about that. There have been some really good teams since then - the two unc teams, Florida, the duke teams - but when I think truly great in historic terms you probably need to go back to that uk team.

I can understand this thinking, but then again you were expecting us to have at least a handful of losses by now.

I'm still waiting for that first one...

Of course, I was.

How much would you have been willing to bet that we would be undefeated?

What was your level of confidence. Not prayers. Hot hope. But confidence?

Of course, I was.

How much would you have been willing to bet that we would be undefeated?

What was your level of confidence. Not prayers. Hot hope. But confidence?

in that thread i said i would be disappointed if we lost more then 3 regular season games. so while we have slightly exceeding my expectations i still feel we have a good chance to drop a couple games. i've adjusted my expectations to now be disappointed if we drop more then the final 2 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom