Great teams find a way to win | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Great teams find a way to win

Damn, you figured me out. Lol. Was that a serious post? Pretty strange one if you asked me.

Here's another nugget. In games where we were tied or behind in the last minute of regulation or OT, we have out scored the opponent 17-0. Great teams do that.

Yet another attempt by you to define what "great teams" do or are with the specific intent of inserting Syracuse into the template you created. Actually what you do is to see what the team does and then declare that as a quality needed for "greatness".

I think you are devaluing the term "Great". Too bad. We might need it some day. Or maybe we can make up an even more grand term that relegates great to "B+" level.

Yes, great teams do find a way to prevail in the end.

But, as I said another way above, "Great" teams don't find themselves in that position quite so often as this one does.

This team struggles offensively and therefore by my defintion of "great" it just doesn't qualify. These games remind me of one of the 1,000 pick up basketball games I played in, many of them in Archbold Gym.

Pass the ball into CJ and see what he can do with it.

Pass the ball into Grant and see what he can do with it.

Drive the Lane (Ennis)

Jack up a three (Cooney)

It's wonderful when a couple of these work. But last night, none were working all that well. They had to open up a little used can of "Get the ball into RAK)

What the team does very well is play defense. I'd love to see the stats on points by opponents if the last minute of tight games (That's just about all of them). We have shut these teams down allowing for the last few minute heroics.

Fun to watch? You bet.

Successful? O losses in mid-Feb speaks for itself.

Great? Depends on how low you set the bar.

We find a way to win.

We are a great team.
We have a great record. We are on historic run. We are at least a very good team. Not sure yet if we are great - I do know that we need to find another gear in March if we want an NC or even FF. I'm not trying to be negative - almost every team we have ever had has gone through a February funk of some sort, and many of those teams have gone on to make runs in March (see 2013). We may be going through our little funk right now, while managing through a combination of skill and luck to win all the games anyway. But, teams that play lots of close games usually end up losing some of them. I remember 1990's team was like that. 26-4 in the reg season with lots of close wins, then lose by 2 in the first round of the BET and 4 in the first round of the NCAA (as we all remember).

Townie72 said:
Yet another attempt by you to define what "great teams" do or are with the specific intent of inserting Syracuse into the template you created. Actually what you do is to see what the team does and then declare that as a quality needed for "greatness". I think you are devaluing the term "Great". Too bad. We might need it some day. Or maybe we can make up an even more grand term that relegates great to "B+" level. Yes, great teams do find a way to prevail in the end. But, as I said another way above, "Great" teams don't find themselves in that position quite so often as this one does. This team struggles offensively and therefore by my defintion of "great" it just doesn't qualify. These games remind me of one of the 1,000 pick up basketball games I played in, many of them in Archbold Gym. Pass the ball into CJ and see what he can do with it. Pass the ball into Grant and see what he can do with it. Drive the Lane (Ennis) Jack up a three (Cooney) It's wonderful when a couple of these work. But last night, none were working all that well. They had to open up a little used can of "Get the ball into RAK) What the team does very well is play defense. I'd love to see the stats on points by opponents if the last minute of tight games (That's just about all of them). We have shut these teams down allowing for the last few minute heroics. Fun to watch? You bet. Successful? O losses in mid-Feb speaks for itself. Great? Depends on how low you set the bar.

There is a difference between playing great and being great. We are in a funk right now and not playing great for 40 minutes. But because we are a great team, we find a way to win and play great when we have to. 25-0 sure is a low bar.

In an attempt to be confrontational, Bees, redefines "Greatness" to somehow include this team that struggles regularly against mediocrities and might even be considered more "lucky" than "great".

Is this team "great"? Sure. If you define "great" down enough.

I don't think Bees is serious in this claim. I think its a transparent attempt at picking fights.

This edition of the Orange has some very, very good players who are able to rise to the occasion and make plays when they have to.

My definition of a "great" team would be one that didn't have to have these individual acts of brilliance quite so often.

great
grāt/
adjective
adjective: great; comparative adjective: greater; superlative adjective: greatest
  1. of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average.
  2. of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average.
This team is great.

People here have contended that we do not dominate. This is true... sometimes. But when it matters most, when the game is on the line in the closing minutes of the 2nd half, WE DOMINATE and we are undoubtedly GREAT.

This was the 7th time this season that Syracuse has been tied or trailing with 5 minutes left in regulation, winning each. The Orange have outscored their opponents by 43 points the rest of the way in those games with their opponents shooting a combined 6-of-49 from the floor, including 1-of-19 from the 3-point line.

That is domination in every sense of the word.

When Syracuse is trailing or tied in the final minute of the 2nd half and overtime this season, the Orange have outscored their opponents 17-0 (including 3-0 against NC State). They're shooting 4-for-5 in those situations (first miss was against NC State), while their opponents are shooting 0-for-4.

That is dominating as well.

So you see, you don't necessarily have to dominate from buzzer to buzzer. In the end it's about getting the W. And this team has the ability to, with it's resources and talents, assets and liabilities, find a way to craft a win out of whatever is dealt to them.

That my friends is a sign of "Greatness".

You're pretty good, not great. Definitely not great.
I asked you this question last night in the chat room... and you answered by leaving the chat...

Since you always refer to SU as "you," what team do you root for anyhow?

Most visitors here are upfront about their rooting interests. You seem to be hiding behind a snow-covered region.

Visitors are welcome here ... if they are well=behaved and honest about where they "come from."

Fess up, kid.

Last edited:
GoSU96 said:
How about a very good team with the right pieces that has a great, experienced, coach that knows how to manage end of game situations and close out opponents who's players and coaches wilt under the pressure the same pressure.

The coach is part of the team.

cto said:
I asked you this question last night in the chat room... and you answered by disappearing... Since you always refer to SU as "you," what team do you root for anyhow? Most visitors here are upfront about their rooting interests. You seem to be hiding behind a snow-covered region. Visitors are welcome here ... if they are well=behaved and honest about where they "come from." Fess up, kid.

I don't think he'll be fessing up to anything.

great
grāt/
adjective
adjective: great; comparative adjective: greater; superlative adjective: greatest
  1. of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average.
  2. of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average.
This team is great.

Nope.

Find me a word that matches up to this definition, "Barely surpasses the below average and average on a consistent basis."

By the way, without the goal tending, does CJ Fair's last second shot go in?

25-0 is great. I can't see how anyone can disagree with that. The rest is blue smoke and mirrors.

Nope.

Find me a word that matches up to this definition, "Barely surpasses the below average and average on a consistent basis."
How about this one, we never lose. That is where we are now. Isn't that the definition of great?

I'll still go with JB's description of this and other teams. We are a very good team, but there are several other very good teams. There are no great teams this year.
If we are great this year, how well do we do against say the 1989 'Cuse team? It would be very obvious we aren't a great team when that mauling was over.
If you want to compare us with other teams this year and felt you had to have great be the one on top, well I guess then we are.

So then, does that mean that Wichita State is a great team, and Florida is not?

I would say Florida is a great team. If you are one of the top 5 teams in the country I consider you to have a great team. Wichita falls in that category as well.

25-0 is great. I can't see how anyone can disagree with that. The rest is blue smoke and mirrors.

OK.

So it's total wins and no defeats that determine greatness?

When does "greatness" kick in?

Is 10-0 great?

What about 15-0?

How about 20-0?

And if 25-0 is "great" what superlative do we use to describe 33-0 or 66-0 over two seasons?

Nope.

By the way, without the goal tending, does CJ Fair's last second shot go in?

Of course it does.

GoSU96 said:
It's okay to admit there are some weaknesses and things that can be done better.

Even great teams have things to work on.

OK.

So it's total wins and no defeats that determine greatness?

When does "greatness" kick in?

Is 10-0 great?

What about 15-0?

How about 20-0?

And if 25-0 is "great" what superlative do we use to describe 33-0 or 66-0 over two seasons?
why the need to change superlatives? Would you say 66-0 over two seasons is great? How about 88-0. Would 88-0 make 66-0 not so great? Silly. And if you have never been 25-0 and been the basketball school we have been, year, that's great. Only a few ACC schools in history have done this.

Least dominant undefeated team ever. Would love to run BC out of the gym, because we are much more talented. Sadly I think we are close throughout, and then win something to the tune of 57-50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom