Greetings from Buffalo... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Greetings from Buffalo...

I was born in Ukraine so OK!!!. Anyways, please do explain :).
I have pent up dislike for canada and it inhabitants. French Canadians are worse. They aren't all bad but I paint nationalities with a broad brush.

Update.

1. We are sharing hotel with Nova. Lots of them here

2. I was just interviewed by Channel 2 reporter who was looking for an SU fan. Tape at 6.

The entire Nova team is in your room? You must have a lot of wine.

I think the original post wasn't a crap on Buffalo for no redeeming qualities, but for the fact that they got the bid as a host site and have done little in the way of event marketing to support it locally/regionally.

Wasn't a comment on the OP. My earlier comment was a reply to CTO. This was in reply more to the posts that followed. The funny thing about the whole lack of promotion thing is that everything I have read/heard about the NCAAs in Buffalo in regards to the success or lack there of has indicated that Buffalo had been considered a fairly successful site for them and that is why they have come back again so quickly following the last time they were here. Can't say how much truth there is to that, but I guess despite the lack of local promotion the event seems to go off pretty well overall and has been fairly well received.

As for the weather thing, maybe that's just a reflexive addition to my reply based on past history.

Wasn't a comment on the OP. My earlier comment was a reply to CTO. This was in reply more to the posts that followed. The funny thing about the whole lack of promotion thing is that everything I have read/heard about the NCAAs in Buffalo in regards to the success or lack there of has indicated that Buffalo had been considered a fairly successful site for them and that is why they have come back again so quickly following the last time they were here. Can't say how much truth there is to that, but I guess despite the lack of local promotion the event seems to go off pretty well overall and has been fairly well received.

As for the weather thing, maybe that's just a reflexive addition to my reply based on past history.

I think Buffalo has been a successful venue for them -- but it's been because of the basketball and because Buffalo is so accessible from NYC, Pitt, Columbus, Philly, etc. There is a huge audience for venues in the northeast.

To Buffalo's credit, they have this great Light Rail train in the middle of the city, and it takes people directly to the arena. It is also free. All cities should have such a transport mode to their arenas. It is seriously brilliant.

Vous Avez une très belle journée.
You Have a very nice day.
While Canadian French may be painful to the ears of anyone who speaks the real thing, and the secessionist nonsense gets tiring, Montreal is without a doubt one of the nicest cities in North America, it's probably second only to NY when considering cities east of Chicago. McGill is incredible, talk about value for the money it's like going to Princeton for the price of the local community college in Newark. Canada is not all bad folks.

I think Buffalo has been a successful venue for them -- but it's been because of the basketball and because Buffalo is so accessible from NYC, Pitt, Columbus, Philly, etc. There is a huge audience for venues in the northeast.

To Buffalo's credit, they have this great Light Rail train in the middle of the city, and it takes people directly to the arena. It is also free. All cities should have such a transport mode to their arenas. It is seriously brilliant.

It's funny you mention the trains because that's about all it is actually good for. There is always talk about whether they should extend the train to go out to the suburbs so that it would function like an actual metro rail system, but it will likely never happen. People just don't have the desire to take the train around here. By people I mean those suburban folk who also worry that extending the rail system out to their suburbs will also make it easier for those darn urban riff raff to invade their suburbs. There has been more of a push to develop the rail system with the plans for buidling/developing the Buffalo-Niagars Medical Campus. A lot of money is going into new construction re-locating the medical school downtown, buidling a new children's hospital and constructing some additional buildings at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. That's in addition to all the construction you will see for the harbor front center that is going in adjacent to the arena. Bit of a construction boon lately in Buffalo.

You are right about the reasons for Buffalo's success as a tourney venue. But I would think a lot of cities would be able to provide that proximity. For some reason Buffalo has gotten rave reviews for the services it has provided, too. Maybe it all goes back to those bars that don't close until 4am.

Ugh, don't go pitching mass transit to this crowd.

"No one would ride it,"
-- 90 % of the posters on all the new stadium threads two months ago

I once met Terrell Owens father on the Metro in Buffalo on my way to Canisius.

He offered me 20 rolls of toilet paper, he said it was the best gift a college kid could receive.

He also spent 20 mins talking about how much he hates Jim Brown.