Gross on Metlife game/Friday games | Syracusefan.com

Gross on Metlife game/Friday games

bnoro

Lurker
Surprised there was no discussion on this from OE's post so decided to post here. I think his comments are completely accurate and glad to see he took the time out to explain why these things were done. Would like to see the reaction of those so angry at these moves.

LINK

Logic is sound, and it won't affect my support or attendance. My only issue is that I saw no sensitivity to the impact on long time supporters. Paying $100 plus a hotel room and expenses as a tradeoff for an additional Dome game, leaving work early for weekday games, and seemingly nothing more than an attempt to rationalize. Maybe TGD realizes I'm a no risk supporter and he'll never lose me but TexanMark seems more concerned about fans like me than Gross does!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think anyone can rationally question his logic with the MetLife games. But his logic on the Thursday/Friday games could use some work. I can handle an odd weekday game now and again, but deciding to turn our other marquee games to Thur/Fri matchups means we are now left with a handful of bunk football games scheduled for Saturday. (You know...the day college football is traditionally played)

Hey Sparky...if Saturday nooners suck that bad, how about you quit scheduling every game for Saturday at noon.

I don't think anyone can rationally question his logic with the MetLife games. But his logic on the Thursday/Friday games could use some work. I can handle an odd weekday game now and again, but deciding to turn our other marquee games to Thur/Fri matchups means we are now left with a handful of bunk football games scheduled for Saturday. (You know...the day college football is traditionally played)

Hey Sparky...if Saturday nooners suck that bad, how about you quit scheduling every game for Saturday at noon.

In the ACC, our best conference games may not be on Friday night. And Gross will be fine with that.

I'm hoping we are good enough that the FSU/SU game will be on Saturdays at 3:30. And let's face it, to get the 3:30 slot it will be based upon how well we are playing since FSU is the marquee ACC team in terms of TV (despite their average showings the past 5 years or so). Heck, I seem to recall an FSU/BC games being played on Saturday night when the Beagles were playing well.

Just thinking about the possibility of a great Saturday night match-up now and then is why we are all psyched for the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

I think it's great to play at night. You are one of the only games in town, instead of being one of 50.

Still sucks for the out-of-towners. And let's face it, we need all the fannies in the seats that we can get..

Surprised there was no discussion on this from OE's post so decided to post here. I think his comments are completely accurate and glad to see he took the time out to explain why these things were done. Would like to see the reaction of those so angry at these moves.

LINK

I have no problem with Gross trying some different things and getting SU a much need infusion of $$ through the Metlife games but I have to disagree with your statement about everything he said being accurate. Its one thing to say SU versus a mid level BCS OOC at Metlife stadium might help recruiting or exposure but I dont see how SU getting blasted by 35+ in front of 45-50,000 fans is going to be a big help in recruiting or exposure for the program. I also dont like trying to compare this move with the basketball team playing in Madison Square Garden. Your talking about a team in the perennial top 20 who plays in early season tournaments there and versus St. Johns. Gross's comment that the bball program plays OOC games there all the time that we could play in the dome is just false what game do we play there that is not a pre season tourney or a game versus St. Johns? I also think Gross is way overestimating the alumni fball presence versus the alumni basketball turnout we get at a much smaller venue. I think people are going to be dissapointed in the attendance for this USC game.

Like I said while I would much rather play USC in the dome and disagree with the move I see what Darryl was goign for here and understand that the $$ it brings is to much to turn down. As far as the Friday games go I think one would have been enough when you only have 5 true home games to begin with its a bit much to move two away from Saturday but I still like it better then Saturday at Noon.

Syracuse was a perennial top 20 program just 10 years ago, they WILL be again soon. there is no 'preseason' tourny, so this is how you get to play in NYC.

its football, on a saturday, early fall in NYC. this is not only for the NYC alums, it will pull in the philly, and likely a few dc alums as well.

football is an event. winning is certainly important, but in this case, its the event that is most beneficial.

smart move.

Syracuse was a perennial top 20 program just 10 years ago, they WILL be again soon. there is no 'preseason' tourny, so this is how you get to play in NYC.

its football, on a saturday, early fall in NYC. this is not only for the NYC alums, it will pull in the philly, and likely a few dc alums as well.

football is an event. winning is certainly important, but in this case, its the event that is most beneficial.

smart move.

Smart move if we can get 50k actual fannies in seats...under that the stadium is going to look bad on TV. I'm thinking we have between 45-55k for the game...hoping for the latter.

Smart move if we can get 50k actual fannies in seats...under that the stadium is going to look bad on TV. I'm thinking we have between 45-55k for the game...hoping for the latter.

I am thinking 50K is probably the target we are looking at. Would love to get 55-60K but I just dont see it.

LINK

I think you will see the reaction of those people by how many butts are in the seats for those games that are still at the Dome.

Let's just hope we beat NW, because if we are 0-2 going into Stony Brook, that could be an absolutely brutal crowd.

so youre saying it will look like a jet game. :rolling:

this is a good thing regardless.

I think you will see the reaction of those people by how many butts are in the seats for those games that are still at the Dome.

Let's just hope we beat NW, because if we are 0-2 going into Stony Brook, that could be an absolutely brutal crowd.

0-2 going into Stony Brook would be a disaster in more ways then one.

I agree...might only have 22k actual there under that scenario.

In the ACC, our best conference games may not be on Friday night. And Gross will be fine with that.

I'm hoping we are good enough that the FSU/SU game will be on Saturdays at 3:30. And let's face it, to get the 3:30 slot it will be based upon how well we are playing since FSU is the marquee ACC team in terms of TV (despite their average showings the past 5 years or so). Heck, I seem to recall an FSU/BC games being played on Saturday night when the Beagles were playing well.

Just thinking about the possibility of a great Saturday night match-up now and then is why we are all psyched for the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Absolutely.

You can bet Gross dislikes nooners as much as everyone on here - he doesn't want 20,000 empty seats and sleepy, late-arriving fans (and a couple hundred students). Until Syracuse has some appeal to the networks, though, we've got no say in that. A game between second-tier teams on a Saturday is going to be played at noon if they want it to be televised. In order to get a better time-slot, we'll need a better team and better opponents. I'm optimistic that both are on the horizon; 3:30 Saturday kick-offs will follow.

Still sucks for the out-of-towners. And let's face it, we need all the fannies in the seats that we can get..

I don't know the answer to this myself but how many out of towners drive in for a noon game? As opposed to how many college students sleep in and skip the noon games? I'd rather take the night game and get the drunk rowdy college kids. The Wake game last year was a fantastic turnout until they all left at the half and missed the comeback. I had heard they gave out free tickets to the freshmen class for that game.

I agree...might only have 22k actual there under that scenario.

TM, this is my nightmare scenario. Whatever one thinks of the NYC marketing, if we are 0-2 with 22k in the stands for SB, it will be a very divisive event. On one hand, the people who can attend games at the Dome will say, "What do you expect, you move every big game out of Syracuse and/or to a weekday night and you do nothing to work on the relationship with the upstate community" and on the other side it will be, "This is exactly why we moved these games".

We need to win that NW game, need to at least keep it close in the first half against USC and then take care of business against SB.

LINK

I have been a season holder for 30 years, but his strategy is losing me. Why should I pay for seasons, and the preferred seat if all I get is Stonybrook and mid majors? I am better off just getting single game tickets and pocketing the difference if I am never getting premium games.

I have been a season holder for 30 years, but his strategy is losing me. Why should I pay for seasons, and the preferred seat if all I get is Stonybrook and mid majors? I am better off just getting single game tickets and pocketing the difference if I am never getting premium games.

Because after this year you will get Clemson, and FSU, and Miami, and Vtech, and Ga Tech and BC...

Because after this year you will get Clemson, and FSU, and Miami, and Vtech, and Ga Tech and BC...
yep.

for over 100years, Syracuse has had every single goddamn game at home (not counting Dome construction years), we get a couple of games here in NYC, an incredible thing, and the freakin locals cry like we took their blankee away.

I don't know the answer to this myself but how many out of towners drive in for a noon game? As opposed to how many college students sleep in and skip the noon games? I'd rather take the night game and get the drunk rowdy college kids. The Wake game last year was a fantastic turnout until they all left at the half and missed the comeback. I had heard they gave out free tickets to the freshmen class for that game.

For this out of towner, the Friday night games work out much better than the Saturday nooner. Wish Northwestern was a Friday night.

But I'm also speaking from a place where my company gives me plenty of vacation time, more than I can use. Then again, we're only talking about using 2 days if I were to go to both games. Harder for out of town teachers I'm sure, but for most private sector jobs and many other public sector outside of teaching, taking a day off in the fall shouldn't be that hard.

yep.

for over 100years, Syracuse has had every single goddamn game at home (not counting Dome construction years), we get a couple of games here in NYC, an incredible thing, and the freakin locals cry like we took their blankee away.

Johnny- therer have been many games in NY over the years. Your attitude is typical downstate let them eat cake.

LINK
are people seriously even whining to the espn blogger about a couple of games in MetLife stadium over several years time? good lord what a bunch of friggin babies up there. Two seasons max away from an ACC schedule every year and the bitching and refusal to acknowledge the program's reality and needs is absolutely unbelievable.

All you need to see to judge that a friday night is better than a saturday nooner was the WVU game last year. Huge, rowdy crowd even though there was no student section, a dominating victory, and a lead story on ESPN. If that game was a nooner, the crowd would have been fairly dead, the team might have still dominated, but it wouldn't have had the lead on ESPN. That was a huge win for exposure despite how the rest of the season turned out.

smart move.
And a Mass alum or two ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom