Gross on Metlife game/Friday games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gross on Metlife game/Friday games

are people seriously even whining to the espn blogger about a couple of games in MetLife stadium over several years time? good lord what a bunch of friggin babies up there. Two seasons max away from an ACC schedule every year and the bitching and refusal to acknowledge the program's reality and needs is absolutely unbelievable.

A couple? 14 to be exact.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Didn't Gross say at some point recently that with the move to the ACC, the vision for the NYC plan (which I never thought was formalized to an exact # higher than 4) would likely be altered?

in an interview that I and one other poster had heard on saturday morningis that Gross claimed that the proceeds from the USC game will pay 90% of the football operating budget for the year.

just saying

BFD - two years from now there will be conference teams visiting the dome every single year that in the past would've been considered a marquee OOC opponent, plus there will still be some quality OOC teams visiting the dome - the fact that one game max per year will be down in NYC, within easy driving distance against a top end opponent which brings a TON of positives to the program and helps raise the overall product that fans will receive when the team does pay in the dome still brings endless whining/bitching is so incredibly short-sighted it's unbelievable.

Syracuse was a perennial top 20 program just 10 years ago, they WILL be again soon. there is no 'preseason' tourny, so this is how you get to play in NYC.

its football, on a saturday, early fall in NYC. this is not only for the NYC alums, it will pull in the philly, and likely a few dc alums as well.

football is an event. winning is certainly important, but in this case, its the event that is most beneficial.

smart move.

Smart move so long as they continue to put some good home games in the Dome, so that season ticket sales improve as we return to winning ways.

Smart move so long as they continue to put some good home games in the Dome, so that season ticket sales improve as we return to winning ways.
you will get great home games in the Dome. great conference games. florida st, clemson, vpi, miami, the beantown clowns rivarly game should get build up. should see some decent nonconf games as well.

just once every couple of years or so, the Orange will be playing the bluest of blue blood football factories, over at Giants Stadium.

you will get great home games in the Dome. great conference games. florida st, clemson, vpi, miami, the beantown clowns rivarly game should get build up. should see some decent nonconf games as well.

just once every couple of years or so, the Orange will be playing the bluest of blue blood football factories, over at Giants Stadium.

I agree that the move to the ACC will greatly improve the "curb appeal" of the home schedule of the C-USA teams we have been playing.

What do you think about the ACC reorganizing its divisions along regional lines, creating the Old Big East division in the North ? I don't understand why they don't do that. That's the kind of thing that Fla State would be happier about, getting them better games in conference.

Still sucks for the out-of-towners. And let's face it, we need all the fannies in the seats that we can get..

The number of students and other locals that come out more than made up for it last year.

I agree that the move to the ACC will greatly improve the "curb appeal" of the home schedule of the C-USA teams we have been playing.

What do you think about the ACC reorganizing its divisions along regional lines, creating the Old Big East division in the North ? I don't understand why they don't do that. That's the kind of thing that Fla State would be happier about, getting them better games in conference.
im not for that. id prefer to blend the lines, but im pretty open to anything. if fla st wants ga tech instead of mary, fine...move em.

then id change the cross over games to

bc-mary
clemson-vpi
ga tech-va
the rest, status quo

im just happy to be there.

Syracuse was a perennial top 20 program just 10 years ago, they WILL be again soon. there is no 'preseason' tourny, so this is how you get to play in NYC.

its football, on a saturday, early fall in NYC. this is not only for the NYC alums, it will pull in the philly, and likely a few dc alums as well.

football is an event. winning is certainly important, but in this case, its the event that is most beneficial.

smart move.

Perennial Top 20 program is a little strong.

I think SU was ranked in the Top 20 5 or 6 times since 1990 (22 years) in the Coaches Poll and 4 times in the AP Pool. Take it back a couple of years to 1987 and 1988 and you can add 2 more years.

But I know that's not your point...and you're right. Football in NYC is the event and it's a draw. Great move.

44cuse

Perennial Top 20 program is a little strong.

I think SU was ranked in the Top 20 5 or 6 times since 1990 (22 years) in the Coaches Poll and 4 times in the AP Pool. Take it back a couple of years to 1987 and 1988 and you can add 2 more years.

But I know that's not your point...and you're right. Football in NYC is the event and it's a draw. Great move.

44cuse
actually, from 87-01, (15 years) they finished in the top 25 10 times. 2 of the none finish years were 89 & 99, when they still managed to win bowl games.

maybe not exactly perennial, but pretty damn good.

actually, from 87-01, (15 years) they finished in the top 25 10 times. 2 of the none finish years were 89 & 99, when they still managed to win bowl games.

maybe not exactly perennial, but pretty damn good.

I was just going off your original post which referenced Top 20. Certainly a few more Top 25 finishes in there, no doubt.

But again, agree on the point. It's a good place to get back to. I personally believe there was some underachievement in there, but your original point is still right in that we need to get back there.

44cuse

I was just going off your original post which referenced Top 20. Certainly a few more Top 25 finishes in there, no doubt.

But again, agree on the point. It's a good place to get back to. I personally believe there was some underachievement in there, but your original point is still right in that we need to get back there.

44cuse
then that drops out 2, 90's 21 and 98's 24. :cool:

all good. youre right, not really my point, but i did paint with a broad stroke.

thats the type of program i want. a sugar, an orange 2 fiesta's and a bunch of other decent bowls, a top 5, a top 10, a couple of top 15s, etc etc.

most importantly...the hope of a chance of a top 5 or NC.

then that drops out 2, 90's 21 and 98's 24. :cool:

all good. youre right, not really my point, but i did paint with a broad stroke.

thats the type of program i want. a sugar, an orange 2 fiesta's and a bunch of other decent bowls, a top 5, a top 10, a couple of top 15s, etc etc.

most importantly...the hope of a chance of a top 5 or NC.

Yep, that's exactly right. I don't think we have to be Top 10 every year, but I want more Top 10's than we had even during the era we are discussing. Feels a long, long way off (sorry to be the negative guy) though.

44cuse

You mean like when Miami, VT, WVU and BC were in the BE and we had attendance issues unless we were 10-2 and even then attendance was very average.

Big gamble. Be a .500 team with the 14 best OOC games in NJ (where we still haven't taken recruiting seriously) and the program might crash. Dome attendance will certainly bottom out without a BIG winner and scrubs in the Dome. Get the program to 10-2, 11-1 and perennial Top 20 and we didn't need the NJ games.

You mean like when Miami, VT, WVU and BC were in the BE and we had attendance issues unless we were 10-2 and even then attendance was very average.

Big gamble. Be a .500 team with the 14 best OOC games in NJ (where we still haven't taken recruiting seriously) and the program might crash. Dome attendance will certainly bottom out without a BIG winner and scrubs in the Dome. Get the program to 10-2, 11-1 and perennial Top 20 and we didn't need the NJ games.
I wonder if Gross would have pursued those games had he known we were going to be in the ACC. It all smacks of money to me. To rebuild the program we needed money. Had everything else remained the same, and had we not got into the ACC, I think it would have been the smart move to go for the $ via big games at a neutral site. Better to go for what you know you can get than to hold out hope that the home fans are going to step up. As you just said, we had attendance issues even when we were successful.

At some point you have to admit that the home fans can't, or won't, get you where you want to be. The core of die-hards get hit, sure. But unless they are willing to shoulder the entire funding burden themselves, well, there it is.

I wonder if Gross would have pursued those games had he known we were going to be in the ACC. It all smacks of money to me. To rebuild the program we needed money. Had everything else remained the same, and had we not got into the ACC, I think it would have been the smart move to go for the $ via big games at a neutral site. Better to go for what you know you can get than to hold out hope that the home fans are going to step up. As you just said, we had attendance issues even when we were successful.

At some point you have to admit that the home fans can't, or won't, get you where you want to be. The core of die-hards get hit, sure. But unless they are willing to shoulder the entire funding burden themselves, well, there it is.

SU admitted they don't know how to promote the program locally and in upstate NY without having a big winner.

After having to watch Conference USA opponents for the last 6 years, I think the fans will gladly welcome a return of quality opponents in the same conference. I think that alone would get an attendance bump. It's all wait and see at this point.

SU admitted they don't know how to promote the program locally and in upstate NY without having a big winner.

so win.

and schedule 1-1-1.

problem.

solved.

otherwise, make $$$ and play in NYC.

pretty simple stuff.

so win.

and schedule 1-1-1.

problem.

solved.

That part......yes.

That part......yes.

look at it this way.

they are selling SEASON TICKETS up there for $100.

im buying 2 tix for $100 a pop for that game.

do the math.

im OrangeClub too.

play in NYC.

look at it this way.

they are selling SEASON TICKETS up there for $100.

im buying 2 tix for $100 a pop for that game.

do the math.

im OrangeClub too.

play in NYC.

The $100 tixs are in specific locations and will sell well. But the numbers are minimal, so that's a lame thing to use.

Yes, play in NYC some. Not NJ and not 14 times and move even more games to weekdays.

And none of this effects me personally. We renewed our 6 seasons for about the 50th year and have been Orange Pack / Club for almost the same. I will still be in the Dome whether it is on a Thurs/Fri or Saturday. I will also be at most if not all of the MetLife games.

I'd also bet I have seen more SU football games than anyone on this board unless there is someone I don't know about.

But none of that changes my opinion that this model is a huge gamble. So this isn't some whiney upstate local yocal who wont go to the game unless it is at the perfect time and my ticket is free.

The $100 tixs are in specific locations and will sell well. But the numbers are minimal, so that's a lame thing to use.

Yes, play in NYC some. Not NJ and not 14 times and move even more games to weekdays.

And none of this effects me personally. We renewed our 6 seasons for about the 50th year and have been Orange Pack / Club for almost the same. I will still be in the Dome whether it is on a Thurs/Fri or Saturday. I will also be at most if not all of the MetLife games.

I'd also bet I have seen more SU football games than anyone on this board unless there is someone I don't know about.

But none of that changes my opinion that this model is a huge gamble. So this isn't some whiney upstate local yocal who wont go to the game unless it is at the perfect time and my ticket is free.

please. dont give me the Jersey v NYC argument.

you know better and youve been to Yankee Stadium for football, it sucks. a bowl game makes its tolerable.

the cheapest ticket for this is $55.

these games are smart $$$ makers.

i know you will often be at every game, unless something big comes up.

but its not the doomsday scenario as you present it.

its all about the benjamins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom