Gross says... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Gross says...

We should be playing 10 BCS teams. One MAC type and 1 FCS. We have the FCS. We were suppose to play WVU and TCU so that would have been 11 BCS and yes that is too much but even at that people were saying we needed to go to a bowl this year. If everyone is crying all these auto wins now, why would they had previously said we needed a bowl. We do not need to play an Oklahoma type team, that's a given. But we are in year 4. For people who are demanding we play 2 more cupcakes just to get auto wins tells me they don't think Marrone is the guy for the job. There is a happy medium (if we can work the deals). We don't need Okie but we shouldn't need another Stoneybrook either. Damn, we already play a weak BE with no WVU (or TCU). Why don't we just play Furman and Norfolk St. That'll increase attendance and excite the fan base.
Agree 100%. What better way to build fan excitement while tempering expectations? People will show up for these games if we schedule them.

I'd love to schedule another BCS school and then a MAC school if we can somehow pull it off. If we add Boise, I wouldn't care if we got another BCS team.

We should be playing 10 BCS teams. One MAC type and 1 FCS. We have the FCS. We were suppose to play WVU and TCU so that would have been 11 BCS and yes that is too much but even at that people were saying we needed to go to a bowl this year. If everyone is crying all these auto wins now, why would they had previously said we needed a bowl. We do not need to play an Oklahoma type team, that's a given. But we are in year 4. For people who are demanding we play 2 more cupcakes just to get auto wins tells me they don't think Marrone is the guy for the job. There is a happy medium (if we can work the deals). We don't need Okie but we shouldn't need another Stoneybrook either. Damn, we already play a weak BE with no WVU (or TCU). Why don't we just play Furman and Norfolk St. That'll increase attendance and excite the fan base.

These are my thoughts as well. I couldn't put it into words like you though.

These are my thoughts as well. I couldn't put it into words like you though.

Again I agree with Bees and Rocco to an extent but as I noted earlier these mid level teams everyone wants including Bees do not have an opening this year. There is no upper MAC team or similar team that has openning, the list has been posted and is shrinking fast. Its either feast with MTSU, Hawaii, UAB etc (MTSU is no gimme by the way) or Famine A&M, OKST, FSU Etc. People are going to have to bite the bullet for this year the season is in 7 months theres very very limited options.

Louisiana Lafayette has an opening on 9/29. Looks possible. If it happens, Charlie Loeb needs to look out for his biggest fan travelling with the Ragin' Cajuns to Syracuse.
I have never laughed so hard as when I read that story about the RGLCL's secret Cajun admirer.

Texas A&M has filled its opening by adding a second game against an FCS team: Linky

I will bet anyone any amount of money they want that SU ends up playing two FCS teams.

Updated:
Arkansas
Boise St. - 13th game available
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Florida St.
Hawai'i - 13th game available
Houston (North Texas on schedule)
Louisville
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas
Oklahoma - 2 games (added UTEP & FAMU)
Oklahoma St. (added Savannah St.)
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Rutgers - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
Texas A&M - 2 games (added South Carolina St. & Sam Houston St.)
UAB
UL-Lafayette (added Lamar)
USF
UTEP (added Oklahoma)

Updated:
Arkansas
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Florida St.
Louisville
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Rutgers - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
UAB
USF
UTEP (added Oklahoma)

Scheduling Arkansas, Florida State, Missouri or Nebraska is an automatic loss. No way we win any of those games. I would also put Boise State in that group as well. If we also assume that USC is a loss and Stony Brook is a win, by adding one of those four, you then have to go 5-4 in this group to become bowl eligible:

Minny
NW
UConn
Cincy
The Girls
USF
MTSU, UAB, North TX

Where do the 5 wins come from ? This becomes the law of diminishing returns.

Does anyone else think there's something a little odd about the scheduling clause in WV's buyout regarding their requirement to help us and PITT schedule fill-in games next year?

Why is that legally binding as part of the buyout?

What 'azz-covering' is Marinatto trying to do with that?

Couple that with TGD's stated comments about the fact that there is zero possibility of a 2-game series with Buttgers and it makes me think that there is a breach of contract issue outstanding for the BE if they don't handle this scheduling dilemma properly... and that perhaps TGD is posturing for a sooner (2012) exit than later (2013) if our legal team thinks they have a legitimate legal breach?

I really have no idea if that is the case or even plausible... but that WV scheduling clause and TGD's posturing has me thinking some other considerations are in play that we don't know...

Does anyone else think there's something a little odd about the scheduling clause in WV's buyout regarding their requirement to help us and PITT schedule fill-in games next year?

Why is that legally binding as part of the buyout?

What 'azz-covering' is Marinatto trying to do with that?

Couple that with TGD's stated comments about the fact that there is zero possibility of a 2-game series with Buttgers and it makes me think that there is a breach of contract issue outstanding for the BE if they don't handle this scheduling dilemma properly... and that perhaps TGD is posturing for a sooner (2012) exit than later (2013) if our legal team thinks they have a legitimate legal breach?

I really have no idea if that is the case or even plausible... but that WV scheduling clause and TGD's posturing has me thinking some other considerations are in play that we don't know...

The other odd thing is that the ACC has yet to release their 2012 Football schedule. I am not saying that we are moving to the ACC this year just that the ACC normally would have released the shedule by now.

Scheduling Arkansas, Florida State, Missouri or Nebraska is an automatic loss. No way we win any of those games. I would also put Boise State in that group as well. If we also assume that USC is a loss and Stony Brook is a win, by adding one of those four, you then have to go 5-4 in this group to become bowl eligible:

Minny
NW
UConn
Cincy
The Girls
USF
MTSU, UAB, North TX

Where do the 5 wins come from ? This becomes the law of diminishing returns.
Where do the 5 wins come from? Where does a loss come from? I really don't get this fear of competition. Outside of maybe USC there is not one team on this schedule that anyone should fear this year. USC likely will be the only ranked team we play this year. The 2nd and 3rd toughest games were scratched in TCU and WVU so we replace them with filler? The reason to play tough out of conference games is because the conference does not provide those games. This is not the old Big East where you had to play WVU, Miami and Va Tech every year. I hope they dump about 10 bowl games so we can stop rewarding mediocrity. Oklahoma can pick up a couple of sure wins on their schedule. Because they're going to play Texas and OK State and WVU and TCU and oh yeah they play Notre Dame also.

Scheduling Arkansas, Florida State, Missouri or Nebraska is an automatic loss. No way we win any of those games. I would also put Boise State in that group as well.

Wow, can't imagine what you were saying before the WVU game last year. It is likely that we would lose to Florida State and Arkansas. The other 3 are beatable. We were 14 point dogs to WVU last year and beat them by 28. Big upsets happen.

[quote=" The other 3 are beatable. We were 14 point dogs to WVU last year and beat them by 28. Big upsets happen.[/quote]

Do you ever play poker ? Let me know the next time you're in the DFW area, I would like to set up a game with you.

But we are in year 4. For people who are demanding we play 2 more cupcakes just to get auto wins tells me they don't think Marrone is the guy for the job.
I would gladly take 2 more cupcakes this year, but you are wrong about the mindset. I think Marrone is the right guy for the job, but if we play a monster schedule and don't get to a bowl game this year, I will know why it happened and sit tight. There seem to be a lot of others who would not have a clue about what is happening, and would be out screaming bloody murder for him to get fired. I would hope that Gross stands pat, but I am not confident about that.

Lots of shortsighted folks who would drive us off a cliff as a program, for all the wrong reasons.

Wow, can't imagine what you were saying before the WVU game last year.

Wow, I can't imagine what you were saying before the games against Louisville, Connecticut, USF, Cincy, and Pitt. We couldn't beat any of those 5 just to make a bowl game but you would have us believe that we "might" be able to pull out a victory against top 25 teams? uhh ok.

[quote=" The other 3 are beatable. We were 14 point dogs to WVU last year and beat them by 28. Big upsets happen.

Do you ever play poker ? Let me know the next time you're in the DFW area, I would like to set up a game with you.[/quote]

Amen, would LOVE to. You have nfc.

Wow, I can't imagine what you were saying before the games against Louisville, Connecticut, USF, Cincy, and Pitt. We couldn't beat any of those 5 just to make a bowl game but you would have us believe that we "might" be able to pull out a victory against top 25 teams? uhh ok.

What are you talking about????

I would gladly take 2 more cupcakes this year, but you are wrong about the mindset. I think Marrone is the right guy for the job, but if we play a monster schedule and don't get to a bowl game this year, I will know why it happened and sit tight. There seem to be a lot of others who would not have a clue about what is happening, and would be out screaming bloody murder for him to get fired. I would hope that Gross stands pat, but I am not confident about that.

Lots of shortsighted folks who would drive us off a cliff as a program, for all the wrong reasons.

No one is saying we have to play a 'Monster' schedule - some would just like to see a decent schedule without two FCS teams/cupcakes - or in other words, the type of schedule we've ripped Rutgers on for years... (whether we can actually schedule another FBS team at this point appears to be a challenge.)

We should be able to play a competitive schedule with one FCS team and perform well and get to a bowl.

It's year 4 - and the clue about what is happening is this - there are no more convenient excuses for sub-par performance. That time has now passed.

The foundation should be built, the cupboards adequately filled and some measure of success is now expected.

That's not asking for the world nor anything that Marrone and co. shouldn't be expecting of themselves.

Updated:
Arkansas
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Florida St.
Louisville
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Rutgers - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
UAB
USF
UTEP (added Oklahoma)

If this is accurate than at least one of the BE teams needs to add a 1AA to fill their schedule. There are 10 non BE games available and the BE needs 11. So one school could get screwed into a 2nd 1AA game.

No one is saying we have to play a 'Monster' schedule - some would just like to see a decent schedule without two FCS teams/cupcakes - or in other words, the type of schedule we've ripped Rutgers on for years... (whether we'll actually scheduling-wise add another FBS team at this point could be a challenge.)

We should be able to play a competitive schedule with one FCS team and perform well and get to a bowl.
I agree, and have said that 2 1AA's should not be an option. But if it came to replacing WV with a lesser BCS team, I would be all for that. Assuming we can get a replacement in conference so that we have 7 BE games, we will have 10 BCS opponents. That is fine with me. The other 2 slots should be filled with 1AA (done) and a MAC type.

I think there have been some comments about wanting the monster schedule, thus the lengthy thread. From the list of available teams, some wanted to go for the biggest fish. Grab FSU in place of WV, go after Oklahoma also, maybe A&M. At least I think that is what was said. Thread is too long for me to remember now. :)

I can't believe anyone continues to respond to posts like this. Its not really worth debating you. You seem so completely out of touch with the reality of modern football or the current state of Syracuse's fb program. I guess I'll agree to disagree.

Thanks to so many of you for proving my point. "we're not good enough..." "we need wins..." "no moral losses" "extra practice time..." Put a skirt on. You do not get good enough to beat Oklahoma or Arkansas by beating Stony Brook. You get good enough to beat real teams by playing real teams, even if you lose to them. The Pinstripe Bowl was folly for this team. It gave some of you a feeling of accomplishment. But what was the accomplishment? .

I think Marrone is "probably" the right guy too, but I did not say to play a monster schedule. In fact I am against going out and getting an Oklahoma type team. But if we had played WVU and TCU I guess what some people are saying is that there was no chance in hell we would have gone to a bowl this year. I only think we should play games that would "challenge" us. Not a sure win against a cupcake but not a sure loss against a Okie type. We already have our FCS. We already play in the weakest conference in the country which was made even weaker with the loss of WVU and TCU. Minny was one of the worst teams in the country last year. We have a sure loss in USC (tho miracles can happen) and we have Northwestern who is middle of the road. We aren't going to get better by playing 2 more creampuffs that are sure wins. Play a couple teams (if they can be found) that are our peers pretty much and have at it. I think we go to a bowl anyways.

I agree, and have said that 2 1AA's should not be an option. But if it came to replacing WV with a lesser BCS team, I would be all for that. Assuming we can get a replacement in conference so that we have 7 BE games, we will have 10 BCS opponents. That is fine with me. The other 2 slots should be filled with 1AA (done) and a MAC type.

Dude, that is EXACTLY what I said. 1 BCS (not Okie type), 1 MAC and our 1 FCS. Seemed like you disagreed with me previously so I guess I misread your post whe I just replied to you.

[quote Amen, would LOVE to. You have nfc.[/quote]

I have no doubt you would. Bring a barrel to walk home in. LMAO.

car.jpg

Where do the 5 wins come from? Where does a loss come from? I really don't get this fear of competition.
It is not a fear of competition. A good analogy would be weightlifting. How successful are you going to be by working with more weight than you can actually lift? Sets of 0 reps. You start with what you can do, enough to strain yourself by the end. You get stronger with time.

Recruits love competition, sure, but they also love a winner. Going 5-7 every year or worse because we overschedule - given the reality of where we are, which cannot be whitewashed or wished away - and keep changing coaches because we aren't winning, will kill us as a program.

Set the competition based on your situation as a program. Same as choosing weight for weightlifting.

Dude, that is EXACTLY what I said. 1 BCS (not Okie type), 1 MAC and our 1 FCS. Seemed like you disagreed with me previously so I guess I misread your post whe I just replied to you.
Yeah, I would have to go back and look but I am not sure we disagree. What I really hope happens, the more I think about it, is for Boise to join the BE this year. Then we can add a MAC or some such, perhaps through creative scheduling, and call it a day. But I would be fine with adding a lesser BCS opponent as OOC, and also a MAC type. Or even 2 MAC types. Really my only no-no is 2 1AA's. I think we could beat Boise, and the stars wouldn't have to align for it to happen. I just don't want us to put another U$C caliber game on the sched right now. Rather have one that we might be a 5 point dog for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom