Gross says... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gross says...

Newsflash, losses do not count toward bowl eligibility. Extra practices for a bowl game are HUGE in program development.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

I'm all for playing big-name opponents, but if we don't get to a bowl game next year, Marrone is halfway out the door.

It sure as hell is when you've gone to one medicre bowl game in the last 7 seasons. We need wins next year. 6 to be exact. Moral losses by 20-30 to the likes of Oklahoma, FL State and Arkansas are the last thing we should be angling for at this stage.

A 20-30 point loss is not a moral loss.[/quote]

Do you prefer beatdown, immoral loss, thing that's not good ?

Thanks to so many of you for proving my point. "we're not good enough..." "we need wins..." "no moral losses" "extra practice time..." Put a skirt on. You do not get good enough to beat Oklahoma or Arkansas by beating Stony Brook. You get good enough to beat real teams by playing real teams, even if you lose to them. The Pinstripe Bowl was folly for this team. It gave some of you a feeling of accomplishment. But what was the accomplishment? SU beat the 8th (?) place team from the Big 12 in a bowl game, played in a baseball stadium, pretty much created so SU and other Big East teams with a .500 or better record would have a place to go. I'm sure it was fun. I'm sure the extra practice helped last year (oops...maybe I'm not so sure based on last years performance). I'm sure it got us better recruits (oops...maybe not, we'll see in 4 years when they start playing). Sorry, but I'd rather SU plays a man's schedule and go 5-7 than to play a crap schedule and go 7-5. There is one real game on next years schedule...USC. Anyone that brings up the perpetual B10 doormats on our schedule are just wrong.

Dude your delusional, first of all OK and Arkansas have now filled there game, second your the one who wants a feeling of accomplishment by having su schedule 2 more top 20 teams despite the fact we struggled last year and finished below .500. What exactly is SU goign to gain by playing Nebraska, Texas A&M, Mizz etc likely on the road early in the year? We sure as hell arent going to win and were not going to get better or in your words good enough to beat OK or Arkansas. You sound like you would be happy going 3-9 as long as we play as many top 25 teams as possible. You act like were some mid major who either needs the payday or wants to prove they belong with the big boys ie Boise St or TCU.

A 20-30 point loss is not a moral loss.

Do you prefer beatdown, immoral loss, thing that's not good ?[/quote]

No why were you ever talking about a 20-30 point loss? Are you assuming that? I was simply saying that a 20-30 loss would not be categorized as "moral".

I read that as w
second game with Rutgers is not an option, according to ESPN CNY and Troy Nunes.

So much for another Pinstripe Bowl
ell and if he has another solution he had better get it it done. I don't like the idea of playing any team twice. Adjustments and weakness can be too easily exploited . Yes it works both ways but who needs that? There must be schools out there looking for a game. Get the deal done. Hawaii might be expensive but its only for one game.Call up Seton Hall and New Providence and get those wussies to put pads on some students and get it going.:rolling:

Dude your delusional, first of all OK and Arkansas have now filled there game, second your the one who wants a feeling of accomplishment by having su schedule 2 more top 20 teams despite the fact we struggled last year and finished below .500. What exactly is SU goign to gain by playing Nebraska, Texas A&M, Mizz etc likely on the road early in the year? We sure as hell arent going to win and were not going to get better or in your words good enough to beat OK or Arkansas. You sound like you would be happy going 3-9 as long as we play as many top 25 teams as possible. You act like were some mid major who either needs the payday or wants to prove they belong with the big boys ie Boise St or TCU.

What is SU going to gain by beating up on Stony Brook? Sure a W, which might help them qualify for a bowl game, but it isn't going to make them better as a team. Come on now.

What is SU going to gain by beating up on Stony Brook? Sure a W, which might help them qualify for a bowl game, but it isn't going to make them better as a team. Come on now.

Last time I checked Stony Brook was a team we play once on the schedule. Are you saying we shouldnt schedule a 1AA? Every team from Bama to Rutgers to Cal to Texas plays a 1AA every year, so will SU, its time to accept that.

Did you really just post that? Really? Yes, a W. Get it?

Sure it will make them better as a team. Younger guys can get some reps in an actual game. Starters can get a feel for what it is like when plays actually work as designed. Getting to a bowl game, and the extra practices that entails, helps the team get better. LSU and Oregon don't necessarily get a lot better by beating up on a 1-AA, but a program in our position does indeed benefit from a guaranteed win.

A second D-1AA? Nope, bowl eligibility status outweighs all other considerations.

Getting beaten up by Oklahoma or Arkansas isn't going to make us a better team.

It'll just make us a team breaking in a new coach next season.

Did you really just post that? Really? Yes, a W. Get it?

Honestly I feel like im in the twilight zone what is so hard to understand about the need to schedule a 1AA, we need the W and this team needs a game were on paper we should get to play some backups. Hell going by last years results we will probably be in a dog fight again, Marrone is horrendous against 1AA's for some reason.

Hell going by last years results we will probably be in a dog fight again, Marrone is horrendous against 1AA's for some reason.
So, what you're saying is the competition will make us a better team? ;)

Honestly I feel like im in the twilight zone what is so hard to understand about the need to schedule a 1AA, we need the W and this team needs a game were on paper we should get to play some backups. Hell going by last years results we will probably be in a dog fight again, Marrone is horrendous against 1AA's for some reason.

I can't explain what I am trying to say through text right now. More to it IMO than what I am writing. One downfall of a message board.

I can't explain what I am trying to say through text right now. More to it IMO than what I am writing. One downfall of a message board.

I get where your coming from about the competition aspect and I am sure if we were having a person to person converation you could explain better. However, this isnt a team thats gonna contend for a BCS or National Champ game where they need to test themselves out of conference. This team needs to get some wins and balance that with some tougher OOC games ie USC, NW, and Minn.

this isnt a team thats gonna contend for a BCS or National Champ game.

lol will agree with you there.

I am not saying that we need to play alabama, but with WVU off the schedule, I don't think we should use that game to schedule another pansy.

I would be happy with Toledo or one of the better mid-majors again. We already have Stony Brook, I don't want to schedule another layover.

To quote myself from earlier "i'd like to see another high-BCS" maybe that was a stretch, but I just don't want us to schedule another 1-aa team.

I get where your coming from about the competition aspect and I am sure if we were having a person to person converation you could explain better. However, this isnt a team thats gonna contend for a BCS or National Champ game where they need to test themselves out of conference. This team needs to get some wins and balance that with some tougher OOC games ie USC, NW, and Minn.
Depending on how things go (not sure how good the Big 10 teams will be this year), we have 4 great measuring sticks for OOC thus far: 1AA, Minn (lower BCS?), NW (mid BCS? fringe top 25?), U$C (top 5). Minn could be interchangeable with a high MAC. That is 4 nice levels to test against. NW gives people fits and their offense stresses you. I would hope that we are in the peer group with NW, so we come out of that gauntlet at 2-2 or 3-1.

lol will agree with you there.

I am not saying that we need to play alabama, but with WVU off the schedule, I don't think we should use that game to schedule another pansy.

I would be happy with Toledo or one of the better mid-majors again. We already have Stony Brook, I don't want to schedule another layover.

To quote myself from earlier "i'd like to see another high-BCS" maybe that was a stretch, but I just don't want us to schedule another 1-aa team.

Well I dont necessarily disagree with you but its so late in the process we have limited options and unfortunately this isnt really a high level Mid major type that you mention like a Toledo. Really all thats left is upper Echelon OKst, Nebraska Texas A&M, etc and then some lower levels UAB, Hawaii, MTSU etc. Personally I would love to play Texas A&M i always like them growing up but this SU team has enough on its hands with NW and USC we sure as hell dont need to play at A&M with 80K plus nutbags on a Sat night.

I take the same stance as JeremyCuse. We need to get better as a program, as a football team. Sure, we can play the Florida State's of the world and the USC's, but we're not there as a program to compete at that level. We need to get to the point where we are consistently getting to bowls, getting more practice reps for our players, getting more money (from the bowl games) that could help our facilities.

Look at our little red friends down in New Jersey. Their recruiting has been through the roof. Why? Schiano was able to say, well look here kid. We've been to this many bowls, we've won all of them. We are this close to getting to the next step. You could put us over the edge. We are right there. It's a great sell. That's how you start getting bigger recruits, which ultimately get's you to the point where you can compete against the football factories. Just win baby...now go get Hawaii on the schedule.

Dear freakin' Lord, this is not so hard to understand. We will be playing six Big East games. We will then be playing three BCS-level OOC teams, including 2 Big Ten teams and US-freakin-C. NINE BCS TEAMS. If at all possible it would be best not to play ELEVEN.

Unreal.

Dear freakin' Lord, this is not so hard to understand. We will be playing six Big East games. We will then be playing three BCS-level OOC teams, including 2 Big Ten teams and US-freakin-C. NINE BCS TEAMS. If at all possible it would be best not to play ELEVEN.

Unreal.

We should be playing 10 BCS teams. One MAC type and 1 FCS. We have the FCS. We were suppose to play WVU and TCU so that would have been 11 BCS and yes that is too much but even at that people were saying we needed to go to a bowl this year. If everyone is crying all these auto wins now, why would they had previously said we needed a bowl. We do not need to play an Oklahoma type team, that's a given. But we are in year 4. For people who are demanding we play 2 more cupcakes just to get auto wins tells me they don't think Marrone is the guy for the job. There is a happy medium (if we can work the deals). We don't need Okie but we shouldn't need another Stoneybrook either. Damn, we already play a weak BE with no WVU (or TCU). Why don't we just play Furman and Norfolk St. That'll increase attendance and excite the fan base.

If we can work out a deal to play Boise, would that be considered a BCS team?

BCS-elect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom