GTech v BC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

GTech v BC

Just realized BC plays Umass, Wagner Buffalo and Uconn.

If they get 2 wins out of Cuse, Nc State and Wake they might be bowling. The benefits of scheduling to help your program.

Despite the weak schedule I would be shocked if they hot 6 Ws. I would not be surprised if UMass upsets them next week.

Just realized BC plays Umass, Wagner Buffalo and Uconn.

If they get 2 wins out of Cuse, Nc State and Wake they might be bowling. The benefits of scheduling to help your program.

BC stinks. 3 of those 4 teams you listed can beat them.

BC stinks. 3 of those 4 teams you listed can beat them.
They'll be favored by a TD in the Uconn game. Double digits in the other 3.

Uconn should have lost to Maine.
Buffalo lost to Albany.

Whitey23 said:
They'll be favored by a TD in the Uconn game. Double digits in the other 3. Uconn should have lost to Maine. Buffalo lost to Albany.

I know, but BC.

This was too good not to post! Brings me back!

Addazio is taking a lot of heat from the decision to play a zone defense and bring only four on the dreaded 4th-and-19 conversion by GT late in the 4th quarter. The BC coach is also taking criticism for deciding to kick a field goal on a 4th-and-1 from the GT 18-yard line in the third quarter during a tie game after kicker Colton Lichtenberg already had a kick blocked and looked shaky kicking on the sloppy track in Ireland. Addazio doubled down on calling both coaching moved the "right thing to do" during his Monday press conference.

While both those decisions can certainly be questioned I thought the biggest mistake was the play calling on BC’s next-to-last drive of the game. To set the scene, the BC defense had just held GT to a field goal after a long 11 play, 46 yard drive that took 5:49 off the clock. The Eagles received the ball back with a four point lead and just under 6:00 left on the clock. Before that drive the BC offense had been exceptional in the 2nd half. The offense had just come off of a 9 play 63 yard drive that resulted in a touchdown, a 10 play 53 yard drive that resulted in the missed field goal talked about above, and Hilliman’s electrifying 73-yard touchdown on the first drive of the 2nd half. In other words, the BC offense had run 20 plays for 189 yards in the half to that point, and even if you take out Hilliman’s explosive run the team was averaging an impressive 6.1 yards per play in the half.

Instead of stepping on the throat of GT and ending the game on the offense’s terms, BC ran up the middle on two straight plays and fumbled a snap on third down. By the way if you go back and watch the third down play the line was firing off of the line at the snap so there’s a good chance that was a running play. Addazio further set his team back when he wasted a timeout by letting the play clock bleed down to 1 second before taking a timeout and punting it. It turned out the team could’ve used that timeout later. The Yellow Jackets got the ball back with 3:33 left on the clock---which is an eternity even for an option offense in college football---and the rest is history.

After the game Addazio explained his decision to Julian Benbow of the Globe:

"Our goal at that point was to take as much time off the clock as we could, punt the ball, and let our defense win the game. We thought that was the right strategy at this point. We wanted our defense to have the game in their hand at the end. Period. And that’s what we did."

That was literally the first time I’ve ever heard a college or pro football coach say that he wanted the defense on the field at the end of the game when his team had the lead. Does Addazio understand how absurd that is to say? Even if it’s true that Addazio wanted the D on the field he is publically embarrassing his offense with that kind of remark. I get that the BC defense is very good, but the BC offense had GT on its heels in that half. Can you imagine Addazio’s old boss Urban Meyer doing that after his offense was shredding the opposing defense in a half?

3 Things We Learned: Addazio Still Coaching Cautiously

Whitey23 said:
This was too good not to post! Brings me back! Addazio is taking a lot of heat from the decision to play a zone defense and bring only four on the dreaded 4th-and-19 conversion by GT late in the 4th quarter. The BC coach is also taking criticism for deciding to kick a field goal on a 4th-and-1 from the GT 18-yard line in the third quarter during a tie game after kicker Colton Lichtenberg already had a kick blocked and looked shaky kicking on the sloppy track in Ireland. Addazio doubled down on calling both coaching moved the "right thing to do" during his Monday press conference. While both those decisions can certainly be questioned I thought the biggest mistake was the play calling on BC’s next-to-last drive of the game. To set the scene, the BC defense had just held GT to a field goal after a long 11 play, 46 yard drive that took 5:49 off the clock. The Eagles received the ball back with a four point lead and just under 6:00 left on the clock. Before that drive the BC offense had been exceptional in the 2nd half. The offense had just come off of a 9 play 63 yard drive that resulted in a touchdown, a 10 play 53 yard drive that resulted in the missed field goal talked about above, and Hilliman’s electrifying 73-yard touchdown on the first drive of the 2nd half. In other words, the BC offense had run 20 plays for 189 yards in the half to that point, and even if you take out Hilliman’s explosive run the team was averaging an impressive 6.1 yards per play in the half. Instead of stepping on the throat of GT and ending the game on the offense’s terms, BC ran up the middle on two straight plays and fumbled a snap on third down. By the way if you go back and watch the third down play the line was firing off of the line at the snap so there’s a good chance that was a running play. Addazio further set his team back when he wasted a timeout by letting the play clock bleed down to 1 second before taking a timeout and punting it. It turned out the team could’ve used that timeout later. The Yellow Jackets got the ball back with 3:33 left on the clock---which is an eternity even for an option offense in college football---and the rest is history. After the game Addazio explained his decision to Julian Benbow of the Globe: "Our goal at that point was to take as much time off the clock as we could, punt the ball, and let our defense win the game. We thought that was the right strategy at this point. We wanted our defense to have the game in their hand at the end. Period. And that’s what we did." That was literally the first time I’ve ever heard a college or pro football coach say that he wanted the defense on the field at the end of the game when his team had the lead. Does Addazio understand how absurd that is to say? Even if it’s true that Addazio wanted the D on the field he is publically embarrassing his offense with that kind of remark. I get that the BC defense is very good, but the BC offense had GT on its heels in that half. Can you imagine Addazio’s old boss Urban Meyer doing that after his offense was shredding the opposing defense in a half? 3 Things We Learned: Addazio Still Coaching Cautiously

The meatiest of heads, the dude of dudes.

The meatiest of heads, the dude of dudes.
it's not going to be as interesting talking about other meatheads. and that's fine with me!

the way meatheads frame things is so nuts. if you think your defense is so good, you shouldn't be so scared of a short field or more time on the clock

i don't care if babers leaves in january, it will be worth it to finally show the old guard the light. find some other guy to run that offense. better yet, pay through the nose for babers

I got back from Dublin last night (i'm still yellow and shaking from alcohol withdrawal). It was awesome being a secret agent at this game and getting to witness this car crash up close and personal. BC will beat teams with their defense this year. It's physical and will wear some teams down.

Regarding the game, it's an unbelievable experience to see a game in Dublin at the Aviva. It's a bone chilling moment when the crowd starts to sing the Irish Rugby anthem.
I wish Syracuse could get into this game. If we are going to do neutral this is the type of neutral i'd be on board with b/c it's an experience that will forever live with those who go to the game, who participate in it, etc.

I'm a Boston guy and a former BC football fan. I've stated on here a few times that the rooting interest died the moment i saw Oklahoma/SU in 1994 and realized i was part of a new family. Many of my friends were with me in Dublin and were rooting for BC and it was good to be with my fellow Irish M*ssholes again for a game. But yes, I walked out of the stadium with a smile because I got to watch my old friend and thought about how we may finally may be seeing permanent light with our football program.

Slainte!

Millhouse said:
it's not going to be as interesting talking about other meatheads. and that's fine with me! the way meatheads frame things is so nuts. if you think your defense is so good, you shouldn't be so scared of a short field or more time on the clock

Yeah - I've been converted. Strike all my previous statements from the books. It makes no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom