Gtown game on Fox | Syracusefan.com

Gtown game on Fox

Briancuse

Living Legend
Is it just me or is Fox going out of their way not to promo the game. I've seen 20 promos for ucla/marq and illinois/zona. Not one mention of cuse/grown. Very odd.

unfortunately both SU and Georgetown are irrelevant this year
tongue-out-girl.gif

I can't bring myself to give this a like but I do agree.
And the rivalry that may have been the greatest in college basketball - maybe even bigger than Duke and UNC - is now mostly something that grips those of us old enough to have been there.

Sadly, SU basketball history and tradition is now meaningless to current students and new fans who know nothing but the ACC experience.

But we must keep hate alive and keep scheduling and beating them.

I LOOOOAAAAATHE G-Town!

GO ORANGE!!!

And the rivalry that may have been the greatest in college basketball - maybe even bigger than Duke and UNC - is now mostly something that grips those of us old enough to have been there.

Sadly, SU basketball history and tradition is now meaningless to current students and new fans who know nothing but the ACC experience.

But we must keep hate alive and keep scheduling and beating them.

I LOOOOAAAAATHE G-Town!

GO ORANGE!!!
Yeah, that was a great rivalry. Now gone. Sad.

Georgetown is so irrelevant that I have zero hate for them and I was surprised to still see Ewing coaching them when I caught a few seconds of their game last week. And we are no different.

Remember when we each signed the co-High School no. 1s in Mourning and Owens? So many moons ago that we now have the son of one on our bench….

Georgetown is so irrelevant that I have zero hate for them and I was surprised to still see Ewing coaching them when I caught a few seconds of their game last week. And we are no different.

Remember when we each signed the co-High School no. 1s in Mourning and Owens? So many moons ago that we now have the son of one on our bench….

How are we more relevant?

When was the last ACC game we played ranked again?

Georgetown had a postseason run and won the Big East last year. Programs are mirror images they just have higher ranked recruits than us.

It’ll always be big…to me

Georgetown SU is the reason I found Syracuse. For my low IQ reasons for college selections I’ll be pumped tomorrow

This post has me reminiscing about my 'Cuse/G'town experiences...Sherman's reverse jam to clinch in his final home game, Coach Thompson's 3 T's and coming back. Watching Melo roll the Hoya's at their place followed by GMacs game winner the following year.

Now, when I hear "Georgetown", my first instinct is to think fondly of that word as two of my kids were born at Georgetown Univ Hospital.

Georgetown had a postseason run and won the Big East last year. Programs are mirror images they just have higher ranked recruits than us.
Where did i suggest we were "more relevant?"

At least they are doing it at noon, which is one thing that is the same as the old time rivary games.

As mediocre as Syracuse has been, they are certainly more relevant than a program who’s made 1 tourney the last 6 seasons, and hasn’t made it out of the first weekend in 15 years.

Not saying I’m happy with the state of the Syracuse program, but the current dumpster fire that is Georgetown is not on the same level.

As mediocre as Syracuse has been, they are certainly more relevant than a program who’s made 1 tourney the last 6 seasons, and hasn’t made it out of the first weekend in 15 years.

Not saying I’m happy with the state of the Syracuse program, but the current dumpster fire that is Georgetown is not on the same level.
They had an unexpected postseason run and won their conference which is something we haven't done in a very long time. We got a generous draw as a bubble team and won 2 games.

Both teams tend to be coming off disappointing starts heading into this game when we meet them mid December. Overall we've been even when we play them on the court 3-3.

At least they are doing it at noon, which is one thing that is the same as the old time rivary games.
I remember a number of SU-Hoya games being a part of the the old Big East games televised on Big Monday. Used to drive me crazy because our city rec games were on Monday nights. They did end up scheduling most of them as a weekend game eventually.

It's not really a rivalry that sells today except to the two fanbases.

The narrative of two programs that developed a rapid bitter rivalry in the 80's (and peaked in the 80's as well) just doesn't sell to outsiders when the two schools are currently relatively mediocre on a national scope, and the real bitterness in the rivalry has been gone for a while

Probably easier for Fox to currently sell the rivalry of Xavier-Cincy for example to a newer fan because its a rivalry between two schools in the same city and they have some recent ugliness.

They had an unexpected postseason run and won their conference which is something we haven't done in a very long time. We got a generous draw as a bubble team and won 2 games.

Both teams tend to be coming off disappointing starts heading into this game when we meet them mid December. Overall we've been even when we play them on the court 3-3.
I don't think it was a generous draw, San Diego St. and West Virginia were good teams

Reasonable people can disagree which team had a better season last year. Syracuse had a better regular season and better NCAA tournament. Georgetown had a better conference tournament. I think most folks would take Syracuse’s season last year, although it isn’t a slam dunk.

But 6 head-to-head matchups is a small sample size to choose from. Whether you look at the last 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years, Syracuse has been the better program (again, not saying I’m content with the bubble seasons the past few years).

Syracuse has made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament 7 times since Georgetown last did so. These two programs currently aren’t on the same level.

Spend 5 minutes on their crappy 1998 looking message board and those pompous ugly sweater wearing windbags will change your mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom