Guerrier | Syracusefan.com

Guerrier

Guerrier and Hughes can be ferocious on the boards. Love it.

Flashed some huge upside. Looked stronger and more able to finish at the rim than his Canadian forerunner.

Needs to play more. Plain and simple. Sometimes its ok to play your son a tad bit less, and this kid a tad bit more. Hughes can play some minutes at the 2.

I have no doubt that he will if he continues to do what he did last night. I think what you are seeing is JB using PT to push QG to play the way we need him to play. We absolutely don't need him to hang out around the perimeter and jack 3s. We desperately need an inside the arc scoring and rebounding presence. As he continues to do those things he'll get more PT, along with the slack to shoot the occasional 3. QG playing within the needs of the team will allow JB to give Buddy, Eli and Marek the occasional blow.

Last edited:
I hear that the one three pointer he hit has vaulted him into the first round of the draft and he’s shutting it down until pre-draft workouts.
He had a fairly valid and encouraging explanation for his three point struggles to date. He’s taking a lot of what JB’s critiqued from him and has tried to apply it. Can really see the coachability of this kid.

He's another of those big kids who takes way too much punishment without a whistle I guess because the refs think he's strong enough to not suffer a disadvantage. I don't like to see that.

Boeheim was very impatient with Edwards's defense. He does get distracted into defending the high post at the expense of losing the baseline too often. And our guards' defense won't help with that. So I think Guerrier and Dolezaj are going to get every chance to take his minutes.

He's another of those big kids who takes way too much punishment without a whistle I guess because the refs think he's strong enough to not suffer a disadvantage. I don't like to see that.

Boeheim was very impatient with Edwards's defense. He does get distracted into defending the high post at the expense of losing the baseline too often. And our guards' defense won't help with that. So I think Guerrier and Dolezaj are going to get every chance to take his minutes.

Edwards is getting the Fab freshman treatment without the token start to go with. You can see there is a lot to work with there. I hope he gets some chances here and there.

I was hoping Edwards would play more because this might be our worst shot blocking team ever and I don't think Sidibe has the lift to be a very good rim protector. Unfortunately with the banging that is allowed inside I don't think he will be effective.

I was hoping Edwards would play more because this might be our worst shot blocking team ever and I don't think Sidibe has the lift to be a very good rim protector. Unfortunately with the banging that is allowed inside I don't think he will be effective.

So this might deserve its own thread but I have noticed that officiating this year is rewarding players who lunge into the defense at will. If you go straight up and come down with a welt on your arm it isn't getting called. But as long as you recklessly throw yourself into the defense a foul is getting called one way or the other.

Last night was exceptionally bad with how many times both Quincy and Marek were hacked and even on the closeouts they were fouling shooters. We didn't lunge or flail until Girard did late. It's just so backwards that there is now a flop warning but yet they don't want to call anything unless the action or reaction is forced.

So this might deserve its own thread but I have noticed that officiating this year is rewarding players who lunge into the defense at will. If you go straight up and come down with a welt on your arm it isn't getting called. But as long as you recklessly throw yourself into the defense a foul is getting called one way or the other.

Last night was exceptionally bad with how many times both Quincy and Marek were hacked and even on the closeouts they were fouling shooters. We didn't lunge or flail until Girard did late. It's just so backwards that there is now a flop warning but yet they don't want to call anything unless the action or reaction is forced.

Michael Stephens and Mike Eades are 2 of the worst refs in D1 year in and year out, but for whatever reason they keep getting P5 games so hopefully it is a one off scenario, but I doubt it.

I call these types of fouls the Harden rule. If you initiate contact in basketball you seem to get the benefit of doubt, but if the defense initiates it they seem to get the benefit of doubt. I don't think this is how basketball was intended to be officiated, but what do I know I'm not Cowtown who is our board expert official who seems to always disagree with me.

The worst call all night was when Girard was basically tackled on the fast break yet they let that go.

The worst call all night was when Girard was basically tackled on the fast break yet they let that go.

Oh that was atrocious. And I know this is weird since it wouldn't have gone our way, but it drives me equally nuts that they didn't call him for a travel - he tucked the ball under his arm and went down prone on the floor.

It's gotta be one or the other.

Refs ignoring obvious calls and then choosing to do it again to "even things out" (which it never does) should be a red flag to the league office. I don't know how you could hire those guys again after that sequence of events.

I think QG minutes were lessened because he wasn’t being aggressive enough going towards the basket. Last night I believe he showed JB exactly what he wants out of him. It will bode well for him to play downhill towards the basket and I expect his minutes to increase going forward.

Guerrier stats versus Cornell. 16 mins, 10 points, 2-4 from 2 point, 1-1 from 3 point, 2-3 from the line, 5 rebounds, 3 fouls and 2 turnovers. Other than the last two stats he did pretty good for 16 minutes.

And one of the missed 2 pt shots was a LONG 2.

Michael Stephens and Mike Eades are 2 of the worst refs in D1 year in and year out, but for whatever reason they keep getting P5 games so hopefully it is a one off scenario, but I doubt it.

I call these types of fouls the Harden rule. If you initiate contact in basketball you seem to get the benefit of doubt, but if the defense initiates it they seem to get the benefit of doubt. I don't think this is how basketball was intended to be officiated, but what do I know I'm not Cowtown who is our board expert official who seems to always disagree with me.

I'd like to know who scores these refs too because they show up in the tourney and final four as the supposed "best" as well..

I think QG minutes were lessened because he wasn’t being aggressive enough going towards the basket. Last night I believe he showed JB exactly what he wants out of him. It will bode well for him to play downhill towards the basket and I expect his minutes to increase going forward.
i also think his minutes increased last night cuz sidibe fouled out.( against Cornell no less).

He is really bad but no one, in any role in life, is as bad as Angel Hernandez is at his job.

1574347975536.png

Right! If that wasn’t a foul, didn’t it have to be a travel? Girard looked like he dove on a slip and slide.

Last edited:
I think this teams trajectory will depend a lot on Guerrier as he is the one elite inside guy (he's not there yet but will be) that this team has who can balance out our plethora of shooters on the outside especially when they are off. It's a lot ask of a Freshmen but at this point he is the only real guy unless Braswell is somehow going to get some run, which seems impractical at this point. He's going to have some growing pains to go through but this team will need him because when the 3's aren't falling from Buddy and co, we need that scoring to come from somewhere else. Marek did a nice job in the second half but he's never really been an aggressive scorer and its hard to really rely on him against upper echelon teams as he has a habit of going MIA. As frustrating as Oshae was his 2 years here, its to bad he didn't come back for his JR year, I think he would have fit in well with this squad although the PT for Guerrier would have really been affected.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom