Gun to my head predictions... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

eh, he'll get one

The whole guarantee business is a weird thing - if you're "guarantee" is late first round, why bother leaving? All you need is one dude to drop 5 or so spots, and that guarantee might melt away if they had that guy ahead of you on their board, but no expectations of them being available. If a trade opens up - that could make it go kaput as well......I doubt they make you aware of all the contingencies that come along with you being "their guy" at that spot in the draft.

The whole guarantee business is a weird thing - if you're "guarantee" is late first round, why bother leaving? All you need is one dude to drop 5 or so spots, and that guarantee might melt away if they had that guy ahead of you on their board, but no expectations of them being available. If a trade opens up - that could make it go kaput as well...I doubt they make you aware of all the contingencies that come along with you being "their guy" at that spot in the draft.

Very true. The "guarantee" comes with an awful lot of "if's."

iommi said:
Doesn't this seem contradictory? MR told the staff last week he's planning to go. Now he's saying he needs a first round guarantee?
He's playing to a different audience in Chicago...

I was curious; just checked the last draft.

Justice Winslow went 10th, didn't make all ACC.
Myles Turner snuck on the third team Big 12 (in a smaller league), he went 11th last year.
Trey Lyles went one spot later, didn't make all SEC.
Kelly Oubre went 15th, didn't make all Big 12.

That was the top 20, didn't feel like doing anymore.

well justice winslow was 1st team acc preseason and finished honorable mention.
link: http://accbasketball.com/all-acc-first-second-and-third-teams-2015-edition/
http://www.streakingthelawn.com/vir...015/3/8/8171171/2015-all-acc-mens-basketball-
trey lyles was injured and sat out 6 games and ombre was also big 12 honorable mention.

not sure of your point. reynolds was BE-ROY and the very 1ST AP not to be selected. how many college players (uninjured) who didn't make at least conference honorable mention in their leagues have been selected in the first 2 round of the NBA draft ?
that's gotta be a very short list and very long odds.

Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson, JP Tokoto, and Chris McCullough from last year?

Zach Lavine was a lottery pick in 2014. Deandre Daniels from UConn.

Steven Adams and Archie Goodwin and Grant Jarrett in 2013.

Moe Harkless and Fab Melo and Marqis Teague n 2012

Last edited:
we know mccculloughs's story .i won't look up everybody you did read the qualifier "injured" right ?
i'm gonna venture that a lot of these other dudes like dakari and lyles weren't starters or didn't log a ton of minutes?

Last edited:
People the kid is gone. We need to just support the decision and realize we have a good coaching staff.

Malachi wants to play pro ball. I don't think he is ready but the kid clearly wants to go so you support it and don't try changing the narrative. He is Syracuse basketball family and got us to a Final Four. That helps the program pedigree.

It sucks but these kids want to play pro ball. I think the kid is saying everything perfectly in the media but everyone knows what he truly wants and will do.

Jake said:
His measurements were excellent. His last impression for teams is the Virginia game. Participating in 5-on-5 only offers a downside...hence the "cough, cough" back injury.

Yeah, pretty good vertical for a guy with a back injury.

He's receiving great advice.

we know mccculloughs's story .i won't look up everybody you did read the qualifier "injured" right ?
i'm gonna venture that a lot of these other dudes like dakari and lyles weren't starters or didn't log a ton of minutes?

Dakari played 16 minutes per game. Jarrett 18 mpg. Steven Adams was a starter and played 24 mpg. Lavine 24mpg. Goodwin started and played 32 mpg. Harrison, Tokoto and Daniels were starters.

everybody knows that kentucky ain't college sports anymore it's nba prep school. so let's just cross all those dudes off your list

everybody knows that kentucky ain't college sports anymore it's nba prep school. so let's just cross all those dudes off your list
give me some viable dudes who started every game (no injuries) and played major minutes ( like malachi) who still didn't make at least all conference honorable mention. i'm not downplaying malachi's talent at all (in fact all year long i pleaded to start him at the 2 spot over cooney.) i believe in that role he would have made all acc. i just don't see kids getting drafted who played major minutes and didn't rise to the top . some gm's will occasionally roll the dice but it's certainly not at all common.
everybody knows all conference teams aren't perfect. in fact in the past before the one and done normalcy there was always a bias to select upperclassmen. but if you can't dominate your college peers in any class then i'd say the draft stock slips. 20 is the new middle age in pro hoops. (and winslow dropped 23 on us)

Last edited:
i get that and appreciate the research. the rules have changed no doubt. i wish the best for malachi either way.

People the kid is gone. We need to just support the decision and realize we have a good coaching staff.

Malachi wants to play pro ball. I don't think he is ready but the kid clearly wants to go so you support it and don't try changing the narrative. He is Syracuse basketball family and got us to a Final Four. That helps the program pedigree.

It sucks but these kids want to play pro ball. I think the kid is saying everything perfectly in the media but everyone knows what he truly wants and will do.

Hes gone when he hires an agent.

give me some viable dudes who started every game (no injuries) and played major minutes ( like malachi) who still didn't make at least all conference honorable mention. i'm not downplaying malachi's talent at all (in fact all year long i pleaded to start him at the 2 spot over cooney.) i believe in that role he would have made all acc. i just don't see kids getting drafted who played major minutes and didn't rise to the top . some gm's will occasionally roll the dice but it's certainly not at all common.
everybody knows all conference teams aren't perfect. in fact in the past before the one and done normalcy there was always a bias to select upperclassmen. but if you can't dominate your college peers in any class then i'd say the draft stock slips. 20 is the new middle age in pro hoops. (and winslow dropped 23 on us)

I just gave you a dozen of those viable dudes.

Malachi says he's looking for a first-round guarantee to stay in the NBA Draft & is yet to receive one. DNP in 5v5 due to back injury.

Syracuse G Malachi Richardson says on ESPN2 that he's not fully participating in the NBA Combine due to a back injury.

Malachi Richardson, who never hired agent, told me he'll be looking for 1st-rd guarantee to stay in draft. Says he hasn't gotten one (yet).

He was an inconsistent freshman third option on a team that finished 10th in its conference. And, i want him back.

It's the way of the world. These days, more than ever before, kids have more of a connection to the adult/pro world than we did when i was his age. Media, social media, more travel... They come into college hoping to get out of college — they want to live the reality show lifestyle at 18-19. It's a different perspective than that of the 'actual student' who goes in knowing it's a 4-6 year ride toward professional readiness. Sucks for the college ball fan, but it can't change without the NBA union wanting it to change.

I wish i could counsel Mal, but i don't even know what the parameters are anymore. I used to think it was better to be best-prepared for the NBA, but i don't think kids trust that college is going to improve their games, and they have the added 'pressure' of the 'stigma' of not being a one-and-done. Kinda sad, and yet its hard to feel sorry for a 20 year old who will be driving a Ferrari before i will.

Hope he sticks and represents us well.