Gun to my head predictions... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

Is it the NBA requiring players or the players choice do to the advice of individual teams? In the end the player always has the option correct?

I am not trying to get at anything, but a greater understanding of the process.
Basically, the thought process for Mali is he's been told he will be a high pick. He doesn't have anything more to prove, and would only risk injury by competing 5 on 5. Look at some of the other names told not to compete - Maker, Murray, Ingram, etc. Those guys are all top 5, top 10 picks. I guess mali is highly-regarded.

I don't think Malachi is skipping the 5v5 without input from NBA teams. It's not a con to improve his draft status.
I don't think he is playing that "game" either. Regardless, it makes no difference to SU - he is in the draft either way.

See I agree with you but it makes no sense for Malachi to leave unless he has a promise in the first round.
McCullough had a promise from the Nets at 29.

Malachi has to have a promise to do this. The good thing is he still hasn't signed with an agent even though it is obvious he probably has the agent picked out.

Not sure I agree about him receiving a promise at this stage. Not sure that he has reliable info yet, certainly not before the combine.

I honestly believe that this comes down to him just wanting to take the plunge, and having the confidence in himself to believe that he'll be a high first round draft pick [not knocking him for that, confidence is a good thing]. It will be interesting to see whether the formal assessment he receives from the NBA committee agrees.

Is it the NBA requiring players or the players choice do to the advice of individual teams? In the end the player always has the option correct?

I am not trying to get at anything, but a greater understanding of the process.

According to Giovany, the NBA did not require him to.

From the sound of things the NBA did not require him to participate in the 5v5. That's why Giovany and Francis think that's good news for him and must have a promise.

ok. so, you have to READ my post. i know what giovany and francis said. i get their rationale. my point was to counter what the inference people draws from what they said. i think the rationale that he's gone based on the 5v5 info fails in a couple of ways:

1. its too simplistic - i'd like to see a stat of how many guys who got invited to the combine, refused 5v5 and didn't go round 1. now, that may be somewhat compelling. all the reporters are jumping on givony, except even givony himself admits its speculative "its a good sign", this 5v5 IS NOT DISPOSITIVE
2. it counters other info:
a. the guy doesn't have an agent. at least not one we know of. if he had a guarantee that he wanted, that agent would be here. but more importantly, he hasn't said i have an agent so i am assuming not
b. the guy has not even worked out yet. what, did they review his mixtape from insta and say, yup, you're our guy. why would an nba team even commit at this point to him without seeing his and others workouts?
3. there's plausible other explanations - see my prior post. if you want to go round 1, the 5v5 aren't necessary. in fact, only two guys who participated last year went in round one. hence, my dress for the interview part. you better act like your round 1 material, if you want to be it. round 1ers don't play in 5v5. i think malachi is being VERY smart here and it goes along with trying to get the first round guarantee, not that he has one

anyways, just my read of the tea leaves, i think the sources out there (and on here) are whacked on this issue...

ok. so, you have to READ my post. i know what giovany and francis said. i get their rationale. my point was to counter what the inference people draws from what they said. i think the rationale that he's gone based on the 5v5 info fails in a couple of ways:

1. its too simplistic - i'd like to see a stat of how many guys who got invited to the combine, refused 5v5 and didn't go round 1. now, that may be somewhat compelling. all the reporters are jumping on givony, except even givony himself admits its speculative "its a good sign", this 5v5 IS NOT DISPOSITIVE
2. it counters other info:
a. the guy doesn't have an agent. at least not one we know of. if he had a guarantee that he wanted, that agent would be here. but more importantly, he hasn't said i have an agent so i am assuming not
b. the guy has not even worked out yet. what, did they review his mixtape from insta and say, yup, you're our guy. why would an nba team even commit at this point to him without seeing his and others workouts?
3. there's plausible other explanations - see my prior post. if you want to go round 1, the 5v5 aren't necessary. in fact, only two guys who participated last year went in round one. hence, my dress for the interview part. you better act like your round 1 material, if you want to be it. round 1ers don't play in 5v5. i think malachi is being VERY smart here and it goes along with trying to get the first round guarantee, not that he has one

anyways, just my read of the tea leaves, i think the sources out there (and on here) are whacked on this issue...

I'll go with #3.

Basically, the thought process for Mali is he's been told he will be a high pick. He doesn't have anything more to prove, and would only risk injury by competing 5 on 5. Look at some of the other names told not to compete - Maker, Murray, Ingram, etc. Those guys are all top 5, top 10 picks. I guess mali is highly-regarded.

The other two are definitely top 10 picks, but I haven't seen anybody mention Maker that high.

Regarding past players that didn't participate in the 5 on 5, from last year (picking out late 1st or 2nd round picks):
Cliff Alexander
Justin Anderson
Montrezl Harrell
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
RJ Hunter
Tyus Jones
Kevon Looney
Jarrell Martin
McCullough (obviously he was hurt though, and I think a couple others on this list were too)
Bobby Portis
Christian Wood
Delon Wright

2nd rounders are bolded

Regarding past players that didn't participate in the 5 on 5, from last year (picking out late 1st or 2nd round picks):
Cliff Alexander
Justin Anderson
Montrezl Harrell
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
RJ Hunter
Tyus Jones
Kevon Looney
Jarrell Martin
McCullough (obviously he was hurt though, and I think a couple others on this list were too)
Bobby Portis
Christian Wood
Delon Wright

2nd rounders are bolded

thats 3/12 or 25%, also, theres probably an impact here for the fact that you can workout now and come back. creates more room for strategy.

The other two are definitely top 10 picks, but I haven't seen anybody mention Maker that high.

no offense to mali, but not sure he's at the level of a prospect as ingram and murray. wallacecuse's logic is way off.

Anyone have any figures on how many euros are predicted first round that were not invited or not attending the combine? Also how many college players that declined to participate in combine that are projected to go first round?

I should just not visit the board until this process is over, its making me crazy.

jgeorge322 said:
ok. so, you have to READ my post. i know what giovany and francis said. i get their rationale. my point was to counter what the inference people draws from what they said. i think the rationale that he's gone based on the 5v5 info fails in a couple of ways: 1. its too simplistic - i'd like to see a stat of how many guys who got invited to the combine, refused 5v5 and didn't go round 1. now, that may be somewhat compelling. all the reporters are jumping on givony, except even givony himself admits its speculative "its a good sign", this 5v5 IS NOT DISPOSITIVE 2. it counters other info: a. the guy doesn't have an agent. at least not one we know of. if he had a guarantee that he wanted, that agent would be here. but more importantly, he hasn't said i have an agent so i am assuming not b. the guy has not even worked out yet. what, did they review his mixtape from insta and say, yup, you're our guy. why would an nba team even commit at this point to him without seeing his and others workouts? 3. there's plausible other explanations - see my prior post. if you want to go round 1, the 5v5 aren't necessary. in fact, only two guys who participated last year went in round one. hence, my dress for the interview part. you better act like your round 1 material, if you want to be it. round 1ers don't play in 5v5. i think malachi is being VERY smart here and it goes along with trying to get the first round guarantee, not that he has one anyways, just my read of the tea leaves, i think the sources out there (and on here) are whacked on this issue...

Last year 90%, 27 of 30, of the players that didn't have to do 5v5 got drafted in the first round. Also, I'd have to try to find it again but there's and article saying he has worked out for some teams.

Also, I'd have to try to find it again but there's and article saying he has worked out for some teams.
don't think so - nothing yet on prior workouts, just workouts to come

Melancer46 said:
Regarding past players that didn't participate in the 5 on 5, from last year (picking out late 1st or 2nd round picks): Cliff Alexander Justin Anderson Montrezl Harrell Rondae Hollis-Jefferson RJ Hunter Tyus Jones Kevon Looney Jarrell Martin McCullough (obviously he was hurt though, and I think a couple others on this list were too) Bobby Portis Christian Wood Delon Wright 2nd rounders are bolded

List I saw had 30 players not having to do 5v5 last year.

pearl31 said:
don't think so - nothing yet on prior workouts, just workouts to come

Bad job by Nunes. That's where I saw it. Article says that he's gone through a couple workouts. But he references Waters interview with his HS coach who said he had a couple scheduled. Big difference between the two.

Last year 90%, 27 of 30, of the players that didn't have to do 5v5 got drafted in the first round. Also, I'd have to try to find it again but there's and article saying he has worked out for some teams.

Of those 30 that did not do the 5v5 last year were any euros? As this year there are practically none of them invited that are projected first round picks.

How did he go from nowhere near the first round to highly regarded?

List I saw had 30 players not having to do 5v5 last year.

Correct. I was only listing guys that fell outside the top 20 in last year's draft. I think only 1 or 2 of the lottery picks last year participated at all at the combine outside of the regular height and wingspan kinda stuff.

Anyone have any figures on how many euros are predicted first round that were not invited or not attending the combine? Also how many college players that declined to participate in combine that are projected to go first round?

I should just not visit the board until this process is over, its making me crazy.

DraftExpress currently has 8 first rounders from Europe/Asia.

Interesting insight. (Not necessarily Malachi related)

Chad Ford: The NBA draft combine continues to struggle to get the top players to participate.

Why would players refuse to participate in the combine? It's on the agents. More and more, agents care less about draft position and more about finding the right fits for their clients. By withholding information (especially medical examinations), it gives them leverage to steer their clients away from teams that are undesirable.

And what is the least desirable team in the NBA right now? It's the Sacramento Kings. Based on my conversations on Wednesday, it looks like the Kings will struggle to get any players in the top 10 in for workouts.

"It's the most dysfunctional team in the NBA," one agent said. "I've had several clients there. They were miserable. Miserable. They don't know what they're doing. And nothing they've done this spring has changed my opinion. It would be malpractice to send one of my clients there."

Chad Ford: The NBA draft combine continues to struggle to get the top players to participate.

Why would players refuse to participate in the combine? It's on the agents. More and more, agents care less about draft position and more about finding the right fits for their clients. By withholding information (especially medical examinations), it gives them leverage to steer their clients away from teams that are undesirable.

And what is the least desirable team in the NBA right now? It's the Sacramento Kings. Based on my conversations on Wednesday, it looks like the Kings will struggle to get any players in the top 10 in for workouts.

"It's the most dysfunctional team in the NBA," one agent said. "I've had several clients there. They were miserable. Miserable. They don't know what they're doing. And nothing they've done this spring has changed my opinion. It would be malpractice to send one of my clients there."
Interesting indeed.
Makes one (me) surmise that Mali must at least be getting agent advice

Pretty sure Porzingis didn't want to work out/interview with the Sixers at all