Gun to my head predictions... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

If Malachi doesn't withdraw by May 25th he is gone as well.

People need to analyze this thing with their heads and not their hearts. We would all love to have him back next year but Malachi is beautifully saying everything right publicly but privately has packed his bags.

He doesn't need to sign with an agent if he doesn't withdraw from the draft. Malachi could theoretically go thru the entire process without an agent and if he went undrafted he could apply to the NCAA for his eligibility back.

Kentucky big man Randolph Morris did this years ago. However a team would definitely draft him in the 2nd round. I think Richardson will get a guarantee in the first round.

Alsacs said:
If Malachi doesn't withdraw by May 25th he is gone as well. People need to analyze this thing with their heads and not their hearts. We would all love to have him back next year but Malachi is beautifully saying everything right publicly but privately has packed his bags. He doesn't need to sign with an agent if he doesn't withdraw from the draft. Malachi could theoretically go thru the entire process without an agent and if he went undrafted he could apply to the NCAA for his eligibility back. Kentucky big man Randolph Morris did this years ago. However a team would definitely draft him in the 2nd round. I think Richardson will get a guarantee in the first round.

I actually think it's best not to get either your head or heart involved. It's out of our control. Just let it go and hope he does us proud wherever he plays next season.

If Malachi doesn't withdraw by May 25th he is gone as well.

People need to analyze this thing with their heads and not their hearts. We would all love to have him back next year but Malachi is beautifully saying everything right publicly but privately has packed his bags.

He doesn't need to sign with an agent if he doesn't withdraw from the draft. Malachi could theoretically go thru the entire process without an agent and if he went undrafted he could apply to the NCAA for his eligibility back.

Kentucky big man Randolph Morris did this years ago. However a team would definitely draft him in the 2nd round. I think Richardson will get a guarantee in the first round.

I don't see it, the draft is a crapshoot, there is no way a team is going to give him a guarantee, there are no guarantees unless you are Simmons or Ingram.

so if you were a GM and you had Mail and G to compare. I dont think G gets drafted first round but maybe, what part of Mail's game do you see better now vs better in 2-3 years? right now G plays better D, shoots better, gets to the rim better, has a better handle and seems more athletic. will he be better in 4 yrs than G is now, or will you have drafted over him by then anyway?

I don't see it, the draft is a crapshoot, there is no way a team is going to give him a guarantee, there are no guarantees unless you are Simmons or Ingram.
I am telling you guarantees happens all the time. My team the Boston Celtics give them all the time.
They promised this JUCO kid Kedrick Brown in 2001 they would take him at 10 if he were available.

They promised Marcus Banks they would take him if he was available in 2003.

They promised Al Jefferson in 2004.

They promised Gerald Green in 2005.

They promised Avery Bradley in 2010.

Danny Ainge has a history of making draft promises. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this ahole promised Malachi he would take him at 23. Celtics have 3 first round picks and need depth at SG. I wouldn't want him as the C's need immediate help and this kid is going to take years.

I am telling you guarantees happens all the time. My team the Boston Celtics give them all the time.
They promised this JUCO kid Kedrick Brown in 2001 they would take him at 10 if he were available.

They promised Marcus Banks they would take him if he was available in 2003.

They promised Al Jefferson in 2004.

They promised Gerald Green in 2005.

They promised Avery Bradley in 2010.

Danny Ainge has a history of making draft promises. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this ahole promised Malachi he would take him at 23. Celtics have 3 first round picks and need depth at SG. I wouldn't want him as the C's need immediate help and this kid is going to take years.

I am sure some teams make them, doesn't make them real, I hope for Malachi's sake he doesn't take the bait.

so if you were a GM and you had Mail and G to compare. I dont think G gets drafted first round but maybe, what part of Mail's game do you see better now vs better in 2-3 years? right now G plays better D, shoots better, gets to the rim better, has a better handle and seems more athletic. will he be better in 4 yrs than G is now, or will you have drafted over him by then anyway?
Age is huge for these teams. G is the 3 years older than Malachi. In 3 years I bet Malachi is a better prospect.

First round picks after the top of the draft are becoming upside picks for years down the road.
Second round picks if they have a special skill can become immediate rotation players because they don't have guaranteed contracts.

Gbinije could contribute more next year if he gets on the right team. I think G could be a 2nd round pick and would need the team to like his ability to be a PG.

This just isn't true at all. Guarantees are important for the guys that are in the situation exactly opposite of Simmons or Ingram.

Or "I don't want to hire you now to keep my contingency fallback of eligibility in place, but if you give me free advice I'll reward that by signing with you when the time comes."

But watch out for Kush-lash. Ya know?

Kind of silly and useless to compare a 5th year senior with a true frosh. Why not compare G as a frosh to Mal as a frosh. Seems to me that G got a LOT better. Why would anyone think that Mal wouldn't? Makes no sense at all. It is commonly thought that players make the largest jump between the freshman and sophomore years.

He was an inconsistent freshman third option on a team that finished 10th in its conference. And, i want him back.

It's the way of the world. These days, more than ever before, kids have more of a connection to the adult/pro world than we did when i was his age. Media, social media, more travel... They come into college hoping to get out of college — they want to live the reality show lifestyle at 18-19. It's a different perspective than that of the 'actual student' who goes in knowing it's a 4-6 year ride toward professional readiness. Sucks for the college ball fan, but it can't change without the NBA union wanting it to change.

I wish i could counsel Mal, but i don't even know what the parameters are anymore. I used to think it was better to be best-prepared for the NBA, but i don't think kids trust that college is going to improve their games, and they have the added 'pressure' of the 'stigma' of not being a one-and-done. Kinda sad, and yet its hard to feel sorry for a 20 year old who will be driving a Ferrari before i will.

Hope he sticks and represents us well.

As for the Ferrari, the unfortunate thing is that many of these guys have it repossessed five years down the line.

thats the issue..

G got way better yr 4-5.

does a pro team want to spend 1st round money hoping Mali does too.

kids better but they all dont get way better.

teams pick prospects at the 4-5 spot but how often at the 1-2 spots? i can see 2nd round money and hope he pans out

He was an inconsistent freshman third option on a team that finished 10th in its conference.

Was he really inconsistent? He scored in double figures in 31 of 37 games, averaged 13 points per game and shot 35% from 3. Seems like he was there every night. Cooney was more inconsistent than Malachi was.

Was he really inconsistent? He scored in double figures in 31 of 37 games, averaged 13 points per game and shot 35% from 3. Seems like he was there every night. Cooney was more inconsistent than Malachi was.

Check the stats.