Gun to my head predictions... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

I know that this has turned into a thread on Mali, but when will we hear word on the mystery recruit; especially after the word the Thompson might not be eligible.

Reactions: MGP
We can agree to disagree.

Why would a team on May 13th guarantee a kid they are going to take them? Its unrealistic for Malachi to expect a first round guarantee.

I don't understand these draft "guarantees."

Unless a team has the #1 overall pick, how can any team make a guarantee to a player? What if a player they have rated ahead of him is available?

NBA GM: "I guarantee we'll choose you..." *cough* *intentionally long pause* *fake sneeze*

Prospect: "You're choosing me? Wow, that's amaz--"

NBA GM: *whispers* "...if you're the top rated player on our board during our pick."

Prospect: "--zing. Wait, I'm sorry...did you say something?"

NBA GM: "What?"

Prospect: "While I was talking it sounded like you just whispered something out of the corner of your mouth while rubbing your face."

NBA GM: *stares blankly*

Prospect: "Um...ok - so...you just gave me a guarantee, right?"

NBA GM: "Yep. Sure did. Next prospect!"

Prospect: "Wow...goodbye college!"

Seems disingenuous to me.

Me either, some of these teams when they are on the clock are still trying to figure out who they are going to take. Its unrealistic to think on May 13th they are giving kids guarantees. They may tell a kid they like their skills, but thats far from a guarantee.

Why would a team on May 13th guarantee a kid they are going to take them? Its unrealistic for Malachi to expect a first round guarantee.

Because teams that are well run, doing well, don't need game-changing talents, nor would any be available.

They need very specific players. If they find that player, they will commit to him.

Not only do the keep that player they want in the draft, they also improve relations with his agent.

If a team needs a SG, maybe even one for the second unit (like a San Antonio for example) and they are convinced Mali is the guy, they'll commit to him.

The commitments aren't meant for the huge talents, it's for the guys that are coveted because of a role they fill.

Just my 0.02. Again, we can agree to disagree.

Because teams that are well run, doing well, don't need game-changing talents, nor would any be available.

They need very specific players. If they find that player, they will commit to him.

Not only do the keep that player they want in the draft, they also improve relations with his agent.

If a team needs a SG, maybe even one for the second unit (like a San Antonio for example) and they are convinced Mali is the guy, they'll commit to him.

The commitments aren't meant for the huge talents, it's for the guys that are coveted because of a role they fill.

Just my 0.02. Again, we can agree to disagree.

But no team is going to lock themselves into a player on May 13th, you are talking all of the college kids, and all of the international kids, there is a lot of work that goes into the draft. If a team needs a sg, they might have 7 kids on their draft board that they are looking at.

But no team is going to lock themselves into a player on May 13th, you are talking all of the college kids, and all of the international kids, there is a lot of work that goes into the draft. If a team needs a sg, they might have 7 kids on their draft board that they are looking at.

Think about it a different way: it isn't locking into a player, it is taking a player projected later and suggesting that he won't slip past your team at whatever draft position you have.

It doesn't work for the early picks, because you don't know what's going to happen. But let's just say that some team in the bottom third of the first round falls in love with Beasley from FSU. Like Malichi, he's a kid projected all over the place, maybe not even in the first round. Maybe the GS Warriors tell him, we're picking last in the first round, but we love your skill sets. If you're there, you won't get by us.

Now, if he gets selected earlier, then them's the breaks for GS.

I also see the flipside, that some higher touted player somehow slips down the draft and is sitting there ripe for GS to take. What do they do now that they've already promised Beasley?

But this is a fairly common practice, and teams typically won't renege because they are working with agents, and don't want to piss off said agents for fear that it would "harm" them down the road in free agency considerations.

All that said, I agree that making that pledge on May 13th with the draft more than a month away, the combine not over, and due diligence not performed seems unlikely.

Mali had some poor games, but he also shot better from deep after the non-conference portion of the schedule. That is not the typical performance arc for a freshman, or most upperclassmen for that matter.

Kinda up and down. His last 10 ACC games he was 18-56 or 32%.

So was the evolving mystery situation Coyle deciding to leave or is there still a mystery situation with a 15% chance of evolving? I have been traveling all week and am having trouble keeping up with my current events.

So was the evolving mystery situation Coyle deciding to leave or is there still a mystery situation with a 15% chance of evolving? I have been traveling all week and am having trouble keeping up with my current events.

Definitely NOT related to Coyle.

Think about it a different way: it isn't locking into a player, it is taking a player projected later and suggesting that he won't slip past your team at whatever draft position you have.

It doesn't work for the early picks, because you don't know what's going to happen. But let's just say that some team in the bottom third of the first round falls in love with Beasley from FSU. Like Malichi, he's a kid projected all over the place, maybe not even in the first round. Maybe the GS Warriors tell him, we're picking last in the first round, but we love your skill sets. If you're there, you won't get by us.

Now, if he gets selected earlier, then them's the breaks for GS.

I also see the flipside, that some higher touted player somehow slips down the draft and is sitting there ripe for GS to take. What do they do now that they've already promised Beasley?

But this is a fairly common practice, and teams typically won't renege because they are working with agents, and don't want to piss off said agents for fear that it would "harm" them down the road in free agency considerations.

All that said, I agree that making that pledge on May 13th with the draft more than a month away, the combine not over, and due diligence not performed seems unlikely.

Ok lets say Gs with the last pick in the first round really likes Malachi, so many things can happen between now and the draft, why would they give the kid a guarantee?

Ok lets say Gs with the last pick in the first round really likes Malachi, so many things can happen between now and the draft, why would they give the kid a guarantee?

They won't do it today, but they might do it on June 15th [after they've evaluated all of the prospects, IF they decide that MR would be a good fit and the kid they'd like to select].

mind-games.gif

One 'draft guarantee' shouldn't be worth much. As we see every year, and just recently with the NFL draft, one kid slides because of a bizarre story or a DUI on the night before, or just some rumor — and then the rest of the board slides and adapts to the new order. Hope all of these guys have locked down their social media and cloud-stored photos...

Anyone notice the low, low, low scoring averages of the Europeans projected in the top 20? 2, 4, 6, 8 points/game... Pros, sure, but if you're 7'1", it's hard to justify scoring so little in any league and still having an NBA GM want you and sell that pick to a fan base.

Didn't say there was a big difference, just said Cooney was more inconsistent, which is true. Malachi was in double figures just a about every night, which is pretty consistent. He didn't shoot well every night, but 3-point shooters rarely do.

Cooney was in double figures only 3 games less and was a better defender every game.

Your latter point is the part of the equation that gets overlooked the most. People can talk about his wingspan but he can't defend a lick.

How would you know? When did you see him try to play a defense that he might actually be asked to play in the pros?

This is all part of Malachi's multi-level, multi-media, mis/dis-information/phys-ops campaign. He's the Jim Moriarty of the NBA Combine. Been planning it for years.

You gotta believe!!

Cooney was in double figures only 3 games less and was a better defender every game.

Right. 3 games less. And Malachi was playing in the back of the zone, not his normal position.

Right. 3 games less. And Malachi was playing in the back of the zone, not his normal position.

You're only looking at offense which is close anyways. When you look at the full picture which includes defense, on court communication, leadership, hustle, heart etc, things that make up a complete player, I'd say Cooney was more consistent.

How would you know? When did you see him try to play a defense that he might actually be asked to play in the pros?

Looks like a typo. Maybe you meant to say "when did you see him try to play defense?"