Gun to my head predictions... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

You're only looking at offense which is close anyways. When you look at the full picture which includes defense, on court communication, leadership, hustle, heart etc, things that make up a complete player, I'd say Cooney was more consistent.

Absolutely.

Your latter point is the part of the equation that gets overlooked the most. People can talk about his wingspan but he can't defend a lick.
How would you know? When did you see him try to play a defense that he might actually be asked to play in the pros?

Not to mention that guys like Wes, Dion, MCW, etc. have turned out to be very good defenders in the NBA. The whole "'Cuse players can't play D!!!" is stupid

Not to mention that guys like Wes, Dion, MCW, etc. have turned out to be very good defenders in the NBA. The whole "'Cuse players can't play D!!!" is stupid

It is considering the length of guys we recruit. I love how mike g was considered a bit on the slow side but finished tops in sprints

I never said any of those guys couldn't play D. People (not me) might have speculated that they couldn't transition to man to man. In their own way each was effective in the zone at SU. IMHO that is not the case with MR. He showed little interest on the defensive end.

Last edited:
"stupid is too nice a euphemism" asinine is much more appropriate. One could make a case that the zone calls for a player to have prototypical characteristics such as length, quickness, great lateral movement which makes them suitable for ANY DEFENSIVE scheme much less only the zone.

"stupid is too nice a euphemism" asinine is much more appropriate. One could make a case that the zone calls for a player to have prototypical characteristics such as length, quickness, great lateral movement which makes them suitable for ANY DEFENSIVE scheme much less only the zone.
horses mouth . the coach himself says we can't play man.

It's amazing how much value a single game (or two) has in the eyes of NBA scouts. And by amazing, I mean stupid. I don't buy the notion that Richardson would have been an NBA first-rounder without the random hot streak in the regional final. NBA teams are as prone to emotion and buying into hype generated from an NCAA tournament run as the general public. Crazy.

upload_2016-5-15_7-44-42.png

Interesting comparison between Deandre' Bembry and MR.

Bembry decided to leave early after his junior year and hire an agent. Word he got was maybe late first round but more likely early second. He had a great junior year, A-10 POY. Scored double digits every game but one. Complete player. He opted to do the 5x5 and consensus reports were that he was the best and most complete player of everyone that did the 5x5 and likely moved himself up possibly into the middle of the first round.

MR was wildly inconsistent all year long and nobody's idea of a complete player. No one was seriously talking about him entering the draft prior to the NCAAT. Opted out of the 5x5 and yet may very well be drafted ahead of Bembry. Go figure.

It's amazing how much value a single game (or two) has in the eyes of NBA scouts. And by amazing, I mean stupid. I don't buy the notion that Richardson would have been an NBA first-rounder without the random hot streak in the regional final. NBA teams are as prone to emotion and buying into hype generated from an NCAA tournament run as the general public. Crazy.

View attachment 63643
A single game or two doesn't shoot a player up the board; if a player doesn't have the measurables teams covet, interview well and pass muster in workouts, it ain't happening, no matter what some people want to believe.

View attachment 63643
I totally disagree that the NBA buys into the hype because of a game or 2. They're buying into him because of a combination of factors (some of us saw that confluence earlier in the year is all).

Agreed. Malachi is being drafted on measurables that he displayed at the combine...not based on the Virginia game.

If he measured out at 6-3 with a 6-7 wingspan, he'd be back.

The UVA game got people interested and showed a proven ability, but his measurables are helping him now.

I would still love to hear Malachi's NBA comp. The kid can get to the rim and make shots so he has potential but I don't see him ready for an NBA rotation. R.J. Hunter of the Celtics was a better version of Malachi in college and he wasn't ready to contribute as a rookie for the Celtics.

I see Malachi in a similar situation. I bet the 76ers or Celtics promised with one of their 3 picks in the first round each has. Malachi is worth a gamble if you have 3 first round picks.

A single game or two doesn't shoot a player up the board; if a player doesn't have the measurables teams covet, interview well and pass muster in workouts, it ain't happening, no matter what some people want to believe.
I totally disagree that the NBA buys into the hype because of a game or 2. They're buying into him because of a combination of factors (some of us saw that confluence earlier in the year is all).
Be honest: Do you think if Richardson had gone 0-11 from 3 against Virginia in a loss that he'd be at the NBA combine with teams allegedly telling him he is a first-rounder right now?

Be honest: Do you think if Richardson had gone 0-11 from 3 against Virginia in a loss that he'd be at the NBA combine with teams allegedly telling him he is a first-rounder right now?
He played well for long stretches during the season, so he was already on their radar. And he's a confident kid, so he was likely to test the waters regardless of what happened in the NCAAT. So to answer your question, yes.

How's that for post 4444? :)

Yes. br801 already accurately stated the reasoning.

Measurables? This kind of sounds like the NFL Combine where people get all geeked up over 40 times or how many benches of 225 pounds a guy can do. Then later on they find out the guy can't tackle or catch a football. Brings to mind the old expression - looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

He played well for long stretches during the season, so he was already on their radar. And he's a confident kid, so he was likely to test the waters regardless of what happened in the NCAAT. So to answer your question, yes.
Yes. br801 already accurately stated the reasoning.
Ufbr5ej.gif

Not a chance.

I would still love to hear Malachi's NBA comp. The kid can get to the rim and make shots so he has potential but I don't see him ready for an NBA rotation. R.J. Hunter of the Celtics was a better version of Malachi in college and he wasn't ready to contribute as a rookie for the Celtics.

I see Malachi in a similar situation. I bet the 76ers or Celtics promised with one of their 3 picks in the first round each has. Malachi is worth a gamble if you have 3 first round picks.
Maybe Corey Brewer with a little more penetrating ability?

People should read chad fords article and what nba guys said as to why mali has shot up the charts.

People should read chad fords article and what nba guys said as to why mali has shot up the charts.

Its the middle of May, just because people are speculating about it, doesn't mean it will happen.