Gun to my head predictions... | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

Its the middle of May, just because people are speculating about it, doesn't mean it will happen.

Huh?? What does that comment have to do with my post or the article?

People should read chad fords article and what nba guys said as to why mali has shot up the charts.

Why the sudden rise in his draft stock? His strong play in the NCAA tournament was some of it. But a lot had to do with the fact that scouts weren't really focusing on him. He wasn't considered a one-and-done, so the evaluation wasn't as intense as it was for other freshmen.

Once teams went back to the film, they loved what they saw. He's a big wing with a massive 7-foot wingspan. He's very athletic (he measured a 38-inch vertical) as well.

Most importantly, he's one of the few guys in this draft with the size, speed and skills to get his own shot. Not only does he have a quick first step that allows him to blow by defenders, but he's also got deep range on his jump shot. He only shot 35 percent from 3, but scouts attribute the so-so shooting numbers to shot selection more than shooting form.

"He can really shoot the basketball," one GM said. "He just took a lot of bad shots. He's wild. His decision making still isn't there, but the talent level and physical tools to get it done are there. I think he's got some star potential."

While not every team sees it (a few still have him in the 30s), it looks more and more like his range is somewhere between No. 12 and No. 20. In other words, right now we have him at his floor. Look for a big bump in our next Big Board on Monday.

Why the sudden rise in his draft stock? His strong play in the NCAA tournament was some of it. But a lot had to do with the fact that scouts weren't really focusing on him. He wasn't considered a one-and-done, so the evaluation wasn't as intense as it was for other freshmen.

Once teams went back to the film, they loved what they saw. He's a big wing with a massive 7-foot wingspan. He's very athletic (he measured a 38-inch vertical) as well.

Most importantly, he's one of the few guys in this draft with the size, speed and skills to get his own shot. Not only does he have a quick first step that allows him to blow by defenders, but he's also got deep range on his jump shot. He only shot 35 percent from 3, but scouts attribute the so-so shooting numbers to shot selection more than shooting form.

"He can really shoot the basketball," one GM said. "He just took a lot of bad shots. He's wild. His decision making still isn't there, but the talent level and physical tools to get it done are there. I think he's got some star potential."

While not every team sees it (a few still have him in the 30s), it looks more and more like his range is somewhere between No. 12 and No. 20. In other words, right now we have him at his floor. Look for a big bump in our next Big Board on Monday.

Ford pretty much explains he wasn't really on the radar until the NCAA tournament.

I get the wingspan thing to a point but they shouldn't go too crazy with that. I don't believe that 38 inch vertical for a second. With a seven foot wing span and 38 inch vertical he should be able to grab quarters on top of the backboard. Athletic no doubt but he doesn't have that kind of spring.

Huh?? What does that comment have to do with my post or the article?

You seem to be convinced that he has made the right decision, I am saying just because people are speculating, doesn't mean its the right move, the draft still has to happen.

You seem to be convinced that he has made the right decision, I am saying just because people are speculating, doesn't mean its the right move, the draft still has to happen.

If he is going in the first round then he has to jump. Hard to argue against it. Even more so if it's like Ford says - 12 to 20.

If he is going in the first round then he has to jump. Hard to argue against it. Even more so if it's like Ford says - 12 to 20.

So anyone who is a first round pick has to go?

Again, what are you talking bout?

Ford pretty much explains he wasn't really on the radar until the NCAA tournament.

I get the wingspan thing to a point but they shouldn't go too crazy with that. I don't believe that 38 inch vertical for a second. With a seven foot wing span and 38 inch vertical he should be able to grab quarters on top of the backboard. Athletic no doubt but he doesn't have that kind of spring.

Seriously, do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? The top of the backboard is 13'. With a standing reach of 8'5", he would need a vertical of more than 54". They actually measure this stuff, you know...

Pretty much. Sooner you get out you're one year closer to your second contract. What if he gets injured or has a mediocre year next year?
Until players are paid or at the very least can endorse products or profit otherwise I can't blame anyone for leaving early.

However - my guess is roughly 50 players are told they are first rounders every year. There aren't 50 first round picks, if you catch my drift. Jerami Grant was probably told he was a first-round pick, too. (Not saying Malachi won't be a first-rounder, as I think he will. That's besides the point.)

Pretty much. Sooner you get out you're one year closer to your second contract. What if he gets injured or has a mediocre year next year?

Tell that to Grayson Allen and Ivan Rabb.

What if he isn't ready for the Nba, how is he any closer to getting that 2nd contract?

Seriously, do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? The top of the backboard is 13'. With a standing reach of 8'5", he would need a vertical of more than 54". They actually measure this stuff, you know...

LOL very literal there hey fella.

There's lots of speculation and discussion here. Good points both ways. There's no completely right or wrong answer for a kid, whether he's a 1, 2, or 3-and done player putting his name in the draft. Some want to go after 1 (some would go after 0 if they could), some want to have more fun at school and enjoy the college/CBB experience. There, of course, are personal issues to stay or go, whether they are good enough or not to be drafted and stick in the NBA. I also certainly admire the 4-year player who gets his degree. So, to each his own I suppose (cliche I know), like it or not. The one unfortunate thing is if supposed borderline players get an ear full of the wrong advice and buy into something that's really not. Until the NBA rules change, this is life. For me, sure I want a good player to return to "my" team, but it affects my life zero. The next season comes with more good players to follow and root for. Can't wait til next season.

Tell that to Grayson Allen and Ivan Rabb.

Not sure I follow.

But how can you criticize somebody that is going to get guaranteed $$$ when the risk is that $$$ might not be there next year for whatever reason. Then what? Can you give me one good reason why you would pass on that?

There's lots of speculation and discussion here. Good points both ways. There's no completely right or wrong answer for a kid, whether he's a 1, 2, or 3-and done player putting his name in the draft. Some want to go after 1 (some would go after 0 if they could), some want to have more fun at school and enjoy the college/CBB experience. There, of course, are personal issues to stay or go, whether they are good enough or not to be drafted and stick in the NBA. I also certainly admire the 4-year player who gets his degree. So, to each his own I suppose (cliche I know), like it or not. The one unfortunate thing is if supposed borderline players get an ear full of the wrong advice and buy into something that's really not. Until the NBA rules change, this is life. For me, sure I want a good player to return to "my" team, but it affects my life zero. The next season comes with more good players to follow and root for. Can't wait til next season.

This seems to sum up my feelings pretty well. I guess the one positive I have noticed is I'm better at living in the moment rather than constantly looking to the future like I used to. I still love following the recruiting because we'll always need good players regardless. But I think I really enjoyed the Final 4 run more because you just never know any more who will be back so enjoy them while they are here.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow.

But how can you criticize somebody that is going to get guaranteed $$$ when the risk is that $$$ might not be there next year for whatever reason. Then what? Can you give me one good reason why you would pass on that?

Both of those players would have been top 20 picks, Rabb perhaps a top ten pick. Some people actually like college, and realize the Nba will still be there in a year. Rabb said he didnt feel he was ready for the nba, and needed another year of school, what is wrong with that?

Both of those players would have been top 20 picks, Rabb perhaps a top ten pick. Some people actually like college, and realize the Nba will still be there in a year. Rabb said he didnt feel he was ready for the nba, and needed another year of school, what is wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I didn't criticize or question either one of those decisions.

Maybe so, he would have been a top 20 pick th0ugh.
So you're sure Allen would have been a top 20 pick and equally sure Mali, whose stock is seemingly rising in the lead up to the draft, will not be. Interesting.

So you're sure Allen would have been a top 20 pick and equally sure Mali, whose stock is seemingly rising in the lead up to the draft, will not be. Interesting.

I saw him being listed in mock drafts, yes I don't think Malachi will be a top 20 pick.

I saw him being listed in mock drafts, yes I don't think Malachi will be a top 20 pick.

It's a calculated gamble on MR's part. If he is confident that he will go in the first round then he should go. While it's a gamble, I am sure there are ways to make a fairly educated decision. It's also a gamble to stay in college another year. You cited Raab and Allen and how there are positive aspects to staying in college. That is true but I'm pretty sure MR has no other occupational ambitions other than playing pro ball. If he has a well above 50/50 shot at the first round then he should go.