Gun to my head predictions... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

It's a calculated gamble on MR's part. If he is confident that he will go in the first round then he should go. While it's a gamble, I am sure there are ways to make a fairly educated decision. It's also a gamble to stay in college another year. You cited Raab and Allen and how there are positive aspects to staying in college. That is true but I'm pretty sure MR has no other occupational ambitions other than playing pro ball. If he has a well above 50/50 shot at the first round then he should go.

Its a huge gamble, and I don't think his odds of being a first round pick are better than 50/50.

Its a huge gamble, and I don't think his odds of being a first round pick are better than 50/50.

Obviously he will have more information to make that decision than you will.

Obviously he will have more information to make that decision than you will.

Sure, but who knows what information is real or not. Teams could be lying to his face telling him hes a top 20 pick.

What do you see as the upside to staying another year?

Seriously? improving your game, playing in the best conference in the country, on a team that should be a top 15 team all year. Improving your stock drastically.

You do realize that the new later date for withdrawing one's name from the draft will help someone like Mali to reduce some of the uncertainty, don't you? Why not let the process play out and learn what Mali hears from the NBA folks in the days ahead before speculating on his ultimate draft position? Mali and his people are still in the process of learning the extent of his "gamble."

Seriously? improving your game, playing in the best conference in the country, on a team that should be a top 15 team all year. Improving your stock drastically.

You don't seem to want to admit that there is risk to staying another year. It won't be the first time that a guy stays another year and regrets it. Happens all of the time.

If he has such upside then why is he gambling by leaving early? If he's that good he'll make it anyway. Either way.

Btw playing in the best conference in the country and a top 15 team are of very little import to his draft prospects.

He seems like a very smart individual who is going to make an informed decision. Sounds like he is in the first round and if so he should go. If however he feels as he gets closer to decision time that he doesnt have a solid feel he should come back as next year he is for sure a top 20 pick.

You don't seem to want to admit that there is risk to staying another year. It won't be the first time that a guy stays another year and regrets it. Happens all of the time.

If he has such upside then why is he gambling by leaving early? If he's that good he'll make it anyway. Either way.
There is a gamble both ways .

I never said there wasn't any risk. When was the last time someone said they regretted coming back to school?

Of course. But if he could be reasonably assured that he goes 1st round then I would argue the bigger gamble is to stay.
100% agreed. But everybody is hearing different things. Top 10 - 2nd round somewhere . Doesn't sound concrete to me either way. Which at this point is risky. Also assuming there aren't any "guarantees ".

Your kidding me right?

Who gives two sheets where your team is ranked? Everybody is on tv these days.

1/3 of the guys that were drafted in the first round didn't even come from a power conference and only 20% of the first round came from the ACC. They don't care about that either.

100% agreed. But everybody is hearing different things. Top 10 - 2nd round somewhere . Doesn't sound concrete to me either way. Which at this point is risky. Also assuming there aren't any "guarantees ".

I agree with you. That has to be nailed down. But I would think there are ways to do that where you eliminate a chunk of the risk.

Here's what influences my thinking: I think he caught lightning in a bottle with the UVA game. It elevated his stock and he has measurables that they like so he should def strike while the iron is hot. If he ever had to play in that 5x5 his stock would have headed south. He's nowhere near ready to play in the NBA imo but if they think he is then who is MR to argue? Take the $$$ and run.

Who gives two sheets where your team is ranked? Everybody is on tv these days.

1/3 of the guys that were drafted in the first round didn't even come from a power conference and only 20% of the first round came from the ACC. They don't care about that either.

You don't think playing on a good team helps? The reason Malachi wasn't on anyone radar this year, is because we were so mediocre during the regular season,and the whole reason people starting noticing him, was because what he did in the Elite Eight.

Are you telling me that teams are completely honest during the draft process?

Let me put it this way. If a team is known to outright and blatantly lie to a kid, that team won't be getting many players in the future that share the same agent.

You don't think playing on a good team helps? The reason Malachi wasn't on anyone radar this year, is because we were so mediocre during the regular season,and the whole reason people starting noticing him, was because what he did in the Elite Eight.

He wasn't on anyone's radar because he wasn't thought of as a one and done.

I never said there wasn't any risk. When was the last time someone said they regretted coming back to school?

You seem to weigh the traditional benefits of staying in college which are largely irrelevant to a player with pro aspirations. All that matters is how it affects his employment prospects. If he suffers a bad injury then he's got nothing. If it turns out the UVA game was a highwater mark and he struggles soph year then what?

Let me put it this way. If a team is known to outright and blatantly lie to a kid, that team won't be getting many players in the future that share the same agent.

That just isn't true, I have been watching sports for a long time, and I can't tell you how many times I have seen a professional team lie about what they were going to do in the draft. Agents don't care, you think they get bent out of shape over being lied to? They lie plenty of enough on their own.