has anybody | Syracusefan.com

has anybody

igor

2nd String
seen Roberson play either with his new teammates or a meaningful game. is he as good as billy

seen Roberson play either with his new teammates or a meaningful game. is he as good as billy
If you consider winning a NJ State Championship playing center against a 7'1 early Kentucky commit and dominating him a meaningful game, then yes. I think he's as good, might turn out better than Billy Owens. NJ high school player of the year, amazing rebounder and shot blocker. Knocks down perimeter shots, seen him dribble drive, very seasoned low post array, but you be the judge. Tons of full games on the recruiting side, many writeups and play by plays.

I have also seen him live. Stormed his team back from an early deficit to win and he's all over the court, both offense and defense.
His AAU coach thinks more highly of him than another he coached in Kyrie Irving. That speaks a lot, whether the coach is "biased" or not.

Billy Owens was the top recruit in the country (along with Alonzo Mourning). He won the PA state championship 4 years in a row and scored 50 points in his final game. He was arguably the highest recruit we have ever got. He was on the cover of SI preseason as a freshman. He was Big East Player of the Year and 3rd pick in the drft. Tyler R. is good but he is no Billy Owens

Billy Owens was the top recruit in the country (along with Alonzo Mourning). He won the PA state championship 4 years in a row and scored 50 points in his final game. He was arguably the highest recruit we have ever got. He was on the cover of SI preseason as a freshman. He was Big East Player of the Year and 3rd pick in the drft. Tyler R. is good but he is no Billy Owens
I'm making assumptions about him before he plays a game in orange. And, you're making assumptions about the comparison before he plays. Let's see what happens.

Oh, did you know Tyler scored 51 points playing against two pros recently? Or does that not count? ;)
https://twitter.com/NJ_RoadRunners/status/367834206942277632

He'll be better than Billy Owens no doubt in my mind.

If you consider winning a NJ State Championship playing center against a 7'1 early Kentucky commit and dominating him a meaningful game, then yes. I think he's as good, might turn out better than Billy Owens. NJ high school player of the year, amazing rebounder and shot blocker. Knocks down perimeter shots, seen him dribble drive, very seasoned low post array, but you be the judge. Tons of full games on the recruiting side, many writeups and play by plays.

I have also seen him live. Stormed his team back from an early deficit to win and he's all over the court, both offense and defense.
His AAU coach thinks more highly of him than another he coached in Kyrie Irving. That speaks a lot, whether the coach is "biased" or not.
He made Townie look even more overrated than I thought he was . Made him look like a JV player.

I think a few here are too young to remember or know just how good Billy was. Except for making a wild ass guess, nobody can seriously say Roberson was better in HS or that he projects to be better in college. Owens was a HS legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a few here are too young to remember or know just how good Billy was. Except for making a wild ass guess, nobody can seriously say Roberson was better in HS or that he projects to be better in college. Owens was a HS legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote
Who said they thought Roberson was better than Owens in high school?

To be honest, I'll admit that I was pretty young when Owens was playing. And my basis for comparison isn't completely fair since I didn't see Billy play up close. I did see Roberson play up close and he's the only one in the three or four games I watched that made the crowd ooh and ah. Not saying Owens couldn't do that, but I'm just going off of what I saw.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that no matter how publicly accessible the data and footage is nowadays, people will believe what they want to believe, whether they saw what some of us saw or not.

To be honest, I'll admit that I was pretty young when Owens was playing. And my basis for comparison isn't completely fair since I didn't see Billy play up close. I did see Roberson play up close and he's the only one in the three or four games I watched that made the crowd ooh and ah. Not saying Owens couldn't do that, but I'm just going off of what I saw.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that no matter how publicly accessible the data and footage is nowadays, people will believe what they want to believe, whether they saw what some of us saw or not.
Kind of like my dads fishing story's, the fish keep getting bigger and bigger.

[/quote
Who said they thought Roberson was better than Owens in high school?

Tee

Kind of like my dads fishing story's, the fish keep getting bigger and bigger.

So you never saw Owens in HS or at SU.

Ok, as good is what you said. and might be better. Awful high bar.

I know, I know. :)
We should all set the bar high on this guy. And the team. I know we can deliver.

Entire team and fanbase should have that mentality. After all, it's not like we're St. John's.

I was at Syracuse when Billy was there. He was a great player for sure but he laid an absolute egg against Richmond in our tournament debacle and unfortunately that has to be considered when talking about his SU legacy. He looked out of it during that game.

I think any comparisons to the Carlisle Comet are ridiculous and unfair. Billy was a high school legend and on top of that his game and Roberson's are totally different. Billy was smooth as silk; Tyler is much more aggressive and a better rebounder. Billy was a pure scorer.

I know, I know. :)
We should all set the bar high on this guy. And the team. I know we can deliver.

Entire team and fanbase should have that mentality. After all, it's not like we're St. John's.

Besides the 4 state championships Owens had and MVP of the McDonald's game as well as one of the top 2 HS recruits, we can only hope Roberson achieves what Owens did (personal, not team):

Big East rookie team
1st team all BE soph, junior and senior seasons
BE POY in junior or senior year
1st team AA senior season
3rd pick in the draft
NBA all rookie team
10 years in the NBA
Played twice for USA team

If not for knee injuries after his 3rd year in the NBA, he probably would have had a better NBA career. The above isn't fair to compare Roberson to.

Owens was a godamn stud. I literallly shed a tear the day he committed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

It's very easy to get excited about HS players these days, unfortunately you NEVER know what you're going to get from them, especially front court players. ie. Freshman Fab Melo, DC2, Rak. All McDonald's AA's, all awful as freshman. I'll take a Rick Jackson career out of him and be ecstatic, and those are high expectations out of somebody who hasn't played a college game yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom