Haskins: "I'm playing" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Haskins: "I'm playing"

If our QB was a 1st rd guy this year, I’d be ok with it.

Agree 100%. Essentially these bowls are meaningless exhibition games unless you are in the playoff. Now some games have more prestige than others. If Haskins was playing in the Camping World Bowl his decision maybe different than playing in the Rose Bowl. Everyone's situation is different. If Eric was in Grier's position and he decided his best move was to skip the game and prepare for the NFL, I wouldn't be upset just sad that I wouldn't get to see him put on the SU jersey again.

From WVU's standpoint they get a head start on the next guy which isn't a bad thing for their program.

Agree 100%. Essentially these bowls are meaningless exhibition games unless you are in the playoff. Now some games have more prestige than others. If Haskins was playing in the Camping World Bowl his decision maybe different than playing in the Rose Bowl. Everyone's situation is different. If Eric was in Grier's position and he decided his best move was to skip the game and prepare for the NFL, I wouldn't be upset just sad that I wouldn't get to see him put on the SU jersey again.

From WVU's standpoint they get a head start on the next guy which isn't a bad thing for their program.

That's how I look at it. As a fan, want the guys to play. But looking at it from their perspective, can understand why they would skip and if they do, just move onto the next guy one game sooner.

Blah blah blah money injury oh me oh my. For all the excuses some players (and fans) come up with to skip a bowl game Dwayne Haskins seems to get it. And I do believe it will make him a more attractive draft prospect than others (unless he gets hurt).
“Just being a quarterback, it’s your job to lead the team,” Haskins said, via Ari Wasserman of The Athletic. “And for you to say you don’t want to play, you’re not about the team or winning or losing. You just want to get out while you can. There was no doubt in my mind about playing in the game because I know I can help this team win. So whether I was thinking about leaving or not, just knowing I have the opportunity to leave is great, but there is no doubt about me playing in the bowl game.”

Dwayne Haskins will play Rose Bowl regardless of NFL draft decision

Amen to haskins and yes, myself and others get hammered on here by the businessmen regarding a players decision to sit. Still hold onto the theory of just play. You are a qb AND arms dont often get injured. Do it in a big stage. I get ot WG has the life, a family, success around him. But hey, you spit up in the WVU game a few weeks ago; why not prove to some decision makers that you can still do it in a big game?

Btw, these bowls mean something to the dudes drafting you. This isnt baseball with some 27 yo millennial in a Stanford sweatshirt and flip flops evaluating sabermetrics. This is the NFL where subjectives matter. So, step up and show something like the heisman winner, Tua, etc. KM had 5 mil in the bank wo playing for a natty...

Amen to haskins and yes, myself and others get hammered on here by the businessmen regarding a players decision to sit. Still hold onto the theory of just play. You are a qb AND arms dont often get injured. Do it in a big stage. I get ot WG has the life, a family, success around him. But hey, you spit up in the WVU game a few weeks ago; why not prove to some decision makers that you can still do it in a big game?

Btw, these bowls mean something to the dudes drafting you. This isnt baseball with some 27 yo millennial in a Stanford sweatshirt and flip flops evaluating sabermetrics. This is the NFL where subjectives matter. So, step up and show something like the heisman winner, Tua, etc. KM had 5 mil in the bank wo playing for a natty...

To be fair the Rose Bowl is probably the most meaningful Bowl you can play in if you’re not in the CFP. It’s a bit of a step up from the Camping World Bowl.

I disagree, I believe it should absolutely be considered when making a drafting decision on your franchise quarterback.
So then in the NFL, you would play your starting QB in all exhibition games, and in all games when playoff positions are set. They have the same meaning as bowl games.

Bowls games don't mean squat, unless you get hurt.
Who got drafted closer to their pre-bowl projections: McCaffrey and Fournette or Smith and Butts.
It's easy to be cavalier with someone else's life changing money.

Here’s the issue: look at what Joe Montana earned per year. Then look at what a first round QB draft pick -with a greater than 50% chance of washing out - will be guaranteed to earn.

It’s really not hard. The world changed. Players attitudes towards bowl games changed as a result; the risk/reward calculation isn’t even in the same universe as 1982.

We can not like it. We can even hate it. We can’t change it.

Accept the reality of today, or bitterly cling to a past that is gone forever.

To be fair the Rose Bowl is probably the most meaningful Bowl you can play in if you’re not in the CFP. It’s a bit of a step up from the Camping World Bowl.

Very good point but do you think WG would ay in the rose if that was his bowl? If the answer is YES, then that is further BS for him sitting. Stick with your team. Cant pick your spots. Again, this guy, not kid, with a family and family $$$ is letting his team down. In particular the other seniors laying it on the line for the last time.

Bowls games don't mean squat, unless you get hurt.
Who got drafted closer to their pre-bowl projections: McCaffrey and Fournette or Smith and Butts.
It's easy to be cavalier with someone else's life changing money.

Oh give me a break, we all know deep down that a qb , a pocket qb doesn't risk much. Qbs dont hurt arms and a leg injury would still easily be draftable.

I still say people watch Remember the Titans or Rudy around here too much

And Necessary Roughness.

The end of Remember the Titans still angers me so much. Not quite as mad as I get at Uncle Billy in It’s a Wonderful Life or the girlfriend in Meet the Parents. But still.

Final play of the game the opposing coach suddenly thinks they’re going to throw it deep because a 2nd QB comes in. Ummm yeah dipsh it, they have to go 80 yards in one play. But then they get caught on a trick play reverse for all 80 yards? I think this board wrote the script.

Here’s the issue: look at what Joe Montana earned per year. Then look at what a first round QB draft pick -with a greater than 50% chance of washing out - will be guaranteed to earn.

It’s really not hard. The world changed. Players attitudes towards bowl games changed as a result; the risk/reward calculation isn’t even in the same universe as 1982.

We can not like it. We can even hate it. We can’t change it.

Accept the reality of today, or bitterly cling to a past that is gone forever.

Which is why regardless of your thoughts as to whether or not players should be compensated financially for playing in bowl games, I don't think it will ultimately have any effect on whether or not guys like Will Grier and other top draft picks decide to play in it or not. The couple thousand dollars that players might receive are obviously peanuts compared to a guaranteed 1st-round NFL contract.

So then in the NFL, you would play your starting QB in all exhibition games, and in all games when playoff positions are set. They have the same meaning as bowl games.
Hypothetical. After the 7th loss, should players skip the remaining regular season games?

Should players on teams that have no realistic shot at the playoffs skip whatever they want to, because at best you’re fighting for a game you won’t play in anyway?

Hypothetical. After the 7th loss, should players skip the remaining regular season games?

Should players on teams that have no realistic shot at the playoffs skip whatever they want to, because at best you’re fighting for a game you won’t play in anyway?

If they are 1st rounders? Probably.

Nick Bosa, who is high on everyone's draft board, got hurt after 3 games this season. He could have come back, but decided against it to prep for the NFL. Ohio State could have really used him too. There's precedent.

But, and I ask this seriously, should they get their scholarships honored (aka paid) from Dec. 1 through the end of the second semester? You could make a perfectly valid argument that they should not.
I don't know when the money comes through for scholarships, but I'd have to assume tuition is paid off in August/September. To punish a player for deciding not to play a meaningless exhibition is draconian and also a dangerous slope for the NCAA. Here's why:

1) Pulling academic funding right before finals is an admission that participation in athletics is more important than education, which is 100% opposite of the NCAA's official position.
2) It treats tuition as a game-by-game paycheck as opposed to a reward for representing the school, which is exploitable.
3) It creates the idea of scholarship as a contract that needs to be completed and therefore an arrangement between contractor and worker, as opposed to an official agreement between two equal parties.

In my mind, anything that messes with tuition for a semester almost complete (i.e. financial penalty) is an admission from a school that players are labor. I don't know how good of a legal argument this is, but the NCAA's position on this issue is rather precarious, so as it stands, I don't think there's much schools can do.

you mean like the last play of the ne miami game. just 2 days ago

Ish I am with ya. These kids should play.

Great point

If they are 1st rounders? Probably.
Then they should have to pay the rest of the school year from that point on. Not only do these kids get all their Ed free and yes they do give up their bodies but they get nfl training from the colleges to put them into position to make money. When the qb at Clemson left after fourth game he shoulda paid the rest of the way. I know I’m more of a hardline than most of u but I feel strongly about this. I also know no one gives a crap that i feels strongly but I do lol.

They would lose money doing so, and never get another contract. Not playing actually hurts their income and future marketability.
Ask McCaffrey how much sitting out a bowl game hurt him.

Then they should have to pay the rest of the school year from that point on. Not only do these kids get all their Ed free and yes they do give up their bodies but they get nfl training from the colleges to put them into position to make money. When the qb at Clemson left after fourth game he shoulda paid the rest of the way. I know I’m more of a hardline than most of u but I feel strongly about this. I also know no one gives a crap that i feels strongly but I do lol.

You’re allowed to feel strongly about it - but it’s highly unlikely to happen. Players will start to see their own doctor to be diagnosed with some difficult to disprove soft tissue injury right after the regular season, which miraculously heals itself right before the combine. Certainly schools can try to challenge that - but good lord that would be a terrible look.

Plus - how much revenue does football generate at P5 programs? How much did it generate in 1970 when the student-athlete myth was at least a little defensible? You’re allowed to think “free education” is fair compensation - I’ll agree with you as soon as players are allowed to negotiate with colleges on the payment terms.

To be fair, the fall semester is over. Players who are declaring for the draft are not taking spring classes lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom