Haskins: "I'm playing" | Syracusefan.com

Haskins: "I'm playing"

cuseincincy

All Conference
Blah blah blah money injury oh me oh my. For all the excuses some players (and fans) come up with to skip a bowl game Dwayne Haskins seems to get it. And I do believe it will make him a more attractive draft prospect than others (unless he gets hurt).
“Just being a quarterback, it’s your job to lead the team,” Haskins said, via Ari Wasserman of The Athletic. “And for you to say you don’t want to play, you’re not about the team or winning or losing. You just want to get out while you can. There was no doubt in my mind about playing in the game because I know I can help this team win. So whether I was thinking about leaving or not, just knowing I have the opportunity to leave is great, but there is no doubt about me playing in the bowl game.”

Dwayne Haskins will play Rose Bowl regardless of NFL draft decision

Not saying I love it but, like basketball, all the kids want to play in games that will potentially lead to a national championship. Would anyone be up in arms over kids sitting out the NIT in preparation of the NBA draft?

I understand it’s not 100% the same, but some of these kids have a (hopefully) long future ahead of them in football that can easily end on one play in a game that ultimately doesn’t matter that much in their careers. As a player whose career was shortened by injuries (baseball), I can understand the cautiousness of some of these guys.

I’m going to try attend the bowl game even though I might get in an accident on the way to the game or loose my luggage at the airport. And there is a considerate probability of getting wasted at one of the pre game tail gate parties. But as a loyal fan I owe it to the rest of the fan base. I’ll be there cohorts!

Blah blah blah money injury oh me oh my. For all the excuses some players (and fans) come up with to skip a bowl game Dwayne Haskins seems to get it. And I do believe it will make him a more attractive draft prospect than others (unless he gets hurt).
“Just being a quarterback, it’s your job to lead the team,” Haskins said, via Ari Wasserman of The Athletic. “And for you to say you don’t want to play, you’re not about the team or winning or losing. You just want to get out while you can. There was no doubt in my mind about playing in the game because I know I can help this team win. So whether I was thinking about leaving or not, just knowing I have the opportunity to leave is great, but there is no doubt about me playing in the bowl game.”

Dwayne Haskins will play Rose Bowl regardless of NFL draft decision
Just say you don't want things to change from the way you perceive they used to be. It's easier than painting people as "good" or "bad."

If the kids don’t want to play then they shouldn’t play.
If the kids want to play then they should play.
Plain and simple.
The amount of money these bowls game scam as 401c(3) or 501c(3) is disgusting.
Players are the sport. They shouldn’t be paid like professionals but giving them a small piece of the revenue from these bowl games should be discussed.
These swag bags aren’t enough.

Really, only a handful of players across the college football landscape are in this position, where they are known draft-able commodities that project to round 1 or 2 and sitting out is an option [versus something that might hurt their draft status, if they are even draft prospects at all] that protects their interests / preserves the value of their draft stock.

And I get where they are coming from, I just don't "like" it. For comparison, I'd be pretty pissed as an SU fan if Dungey decided to sit out like the Grier kid is doing, but I'd understand it from the standpoint of not risking his pro prospects. Just to clarify -- pissed as a fan, not pissed at Dungey.

Fortunately, this really only applies to a couple of players -- they just happen to be high profile players.

Last edited:
Really, only a handful of players across the college football landscape are in this position, where they are known draft-able commodities that project to round 1 or 2 and sitting out is an option [versus something that might hurt their draft status, if they are even draft prospects at all].

And I get where they are coming from, I just don't "like' it. For comparison, I'd be pretty pissed as an SU fan if Dungey decided to sit out like the Grier kid is doing, but I'd understand it from the standpoint of not risking his pro prospects. Just to clarify -- pissed as a fan, not pissed at Dungey.

Fortunately, this really only applies to a couple of players -- they just happen to be high profile players.

Oh I can assure you if this was Dungey or Cisco* or someone like that I’d find a way to come down on the total opposite side because I’m a stupid fan.

*Yeah I know he’s ineligible for the draft.

It’s almost like maybe players should decide for themselves what’s best for themselves and their families.

Agree.

A running back sitting out to not risk injury is fine. A QB who is the leader of the team is different. This will follow Grier for his entire career. Not sure he gets a shot to start in the NFL though hes not that good and was in a very pass happy offense. Not sure you want a rep of being a bad teammate if you are trying to hang around rosters as a backup QB. At least he has his brothers instagram fame to cling onto etc etc. Dude had completely turned around his image from getting dismissed from Florida as well.

Really, only a handful of players across the college football landscape are in this position, where they are known draft-able commodities that project to round 1 or 2 and sitting out is an option [versus something that might hurt their draft status, if they are even draft prospects at all] -- where sitting out protects their interests / preserves their value / draft stock.

And I get where they are coming from, I just don't "like" it. For comparison, I'd be pretty pissed as an SU fan if Dungey decided to sit out like the Grier kid is doing, but I'd understand it from the standpoint of not risking his pro prospects. Just to clarify -- pissed as a fan, not pissed at Dungey.

If we are lucky enough to get another elite RB in the near future I'd sort of want him to sit out the bowl game if he was entering the draft and give the next guy a shot. Unless we were in the playoffs.

If the QB did it I'd be furious.

If we are lucky enough to get another elite RB in the near future I'd sort of want him to sit out the bowl game if he was entering the draft and give the next guy a shot. Unless we were in the playoffs.

If the QB did it I'd be furious.

If our QB was a 1st rd guy this year, I’d be ok with it.

Agree.

A running back sitting out to not risk injury is fine. A QB who is the leader of the team is different. This will follow Grier for his entire career. Not sure he gets a shot to start in the NFL though hes not that good and was in a very pass happy offense. Not sure you want a rep of being a bad teammate if you are trying to hang around rosters as a backup QB. At least he has his brothers instagram fame to cling onto etc etc. Dude had completely turned around his image from getting dismissed from Florida as well.

This doesn’t really sound like you “agree” with me but ok.

I’m going to try attend the bowl game even though I might get in an accident on the way to the game or loose my luggage at the airport. And there is a considerate probability of getting wasted at one of the pre game tail gate parties. But as a loyal fan I owe it to the rest of the fan base. I’ll be there cohorts!

When you sued the term "wasted" it reminded me of an Elmore Leonard line where the hero is asked "What happened to all your money"?

Hero - "I spent it on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest of it I wasted."

If the kids don’t want to play then they shouldn’t play.
If the kids want to play then they should play.
Plain and simple.
The amount of money these bowls game scam as 401c(3) or 501c(3) is disgusting.
Players are the sport. They shouldn’t be paid like professionals but giving them a small piece of the revenue from these bowl games should be discussed.
These swag bags aren’t enough.
I am somewhat relunctly alright alright with players skipping out on the bowl game, as long as it does not become an epidemic. But, and I ask this seriously, should they get their scholarships honored (aka paid) from Dec. 1 through the end of the second semester? You could make a perfectly valid argument that they should not.

And I know that most of these players drop out of school anyhow, but should the WVU QB get to take courses for free (and work toward graduation) while skipping out on the bowl game? I am not sure of the answer, but he is most definitely not fulfilling his contact, which is essentially what a scholarship is. Food for thought.

Bottom line: it is complicated.

I am somewhat relunctly alright alright with players skipping out on the bowl game, as long as it does not become an epidemic. But, and I ask this seriously, should they get their scholarships honored (aka paid) from Dec. 1 through the end of the second semester? You could make a perfectly valid argument that they should not.

And I know that most of these players drop out of school anyhow, but should the WVU QB get to take courses for free (and work toward graduation) while skipping out on the bowl game? I am not sure of the answer, but he is most definitely not fulfilling his contact, which is essentially what a scholarship is. Food for thought.

Bottom line: it is complicated.
The school isn’t going to use the scholarship on another player till the following year they should honor it if the kid cared about classes but the chances of them caring are low.
Plus it’s the beginning of a new semester so I doubt they even enroll st that point.
Football is a collusion sport. The players need to protect themselves. Coaches will play to win and won’t put players on pitch counts. Bowls games are rewards if the players don’t want the reward that is their right. Finish the regular season if healthy is really all they owe.

Kid has to do what they feel is best for them, play or sit. I don't see much debate in it. Up to the individual. They have fulfilled their obligation, IMO. When somebody sits out a F4 game I would take issue but these are exhibition games and yeah I am sure fans, current coaches and players want to win but life goes on, I don't see any issue with it.

I still say people watch Remember the Titans or Rudy around here too much

Just go to a 16 team playoff with the first round being played at the higher seeds stadium and do away with the remainder of the bowls.
Do away with all those bowls? No way

Any GM that bases their draft decision on whether or not an athlete played in a bowl should be fired immediately.
I disagree, I believe it should absolutely be considered when making a drafting decision on your franchise quarterback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom