HCSS is the lowest paid coach in the ACC by $350,000 | Syracusefan.com

HCSS is the lowest paid coach in the ACC by $350,000

Crusty

Living Legend
I imagine the assistants are also underpaid by ACC standards. We are not a bottom dweller in the conference and our coaching salaries should not be that far below what appears to be the average market value of an ACC HC. If the Orange were to finish the season with say, an 8-5 record with a bowl win Shafer will get a lot of attention. I know he likes it here but if someone comes along and offers to pay him what he will be worth he would be a fool not to take the money - just like FHCDM. I hope we are paying attention.

upload_2014-9-14_17-35-26.png

Wonder if this is a business decision by Gross - you don't know what you're gonna get in a new coach. He has to evaluate what are our standards and is he meeting them or moving towards them. If he gets us to a bowl game this year - have to imagine he gets an extension and a raise - Hopefully we're at least able to put him in the 2 - 2.25 range or give his assistants raises to keep the staff together as they build something.

he is in line for a raise along with assistants if we win 7 or more games this year

2-2.5 would be fair for him. have to compare to other privates though state schools can pay more

While I think he is well on his way to getting a raise he is the 4th youngest on the list and has the least head coaching experience. With this schedule getting 8 or more wins gets him and the assistants a nice raiser

I imagine the assistants are also underpaid by ACC standards. We are not a bottom dweller in the conference and our coaching salaries should not be that far below what appears to be the average market value of an ACC HC. If the Orange were to finish the season with say, an 8-5 record with a bowl win Shafer will get a lot of attention. I know he likes it here but if someone comes along and offers to pay him what he will be worth he would be a fool not to take the money - just like FHCDM. I hope we are paying attention.

View attachment 24049
you genuinely think Shafer - a 2nd year head coach with a slightly over .500 record - will get a lot of attention for other schools that would be a step up from Syracuse, after an 8-5 record? That's nuts.

Shafer has less experience and no proven track record of head coaching success. It makes perfect sense that he isn't as highly paid. As he gains experience and proves his head coaching acumen, he'll be compensated accordingly.

As mentioned, the bigger concern is being able to retain quality assistants, as that market is way more fluid than the head coach market - especially when those assistants are proven recruiters.

View attachment 24049
Did Louisville really have to pay Bobby that much $$$. Wasn't his options a bit limited?

I think B.C. should be more worried than us. Boston has a much higher cost of living and they just beat USC on National tv.

Say HCSS has a great season, 8-9 wins. Wonder if he'd be targeted at Michigan once Hoke gets the axe. I know he didn't do his best there before swapping with Gerg.

Did Louisville really have to pay Bobby that much $$$. Wasn't his options a bit limited?

Yeah, that surprised me too. You'd think Jurich would get a discount for throwing him a lifeline. He was pretty untouchable after Arkansas. That's why he wound up at E. Kentucky.

Say HCSS has a great season, 8-9 wins. Wonder if he'd be targeted at Michigan once Hoke gets the axe. I know he didn't do his best there before swapping with Gerg.

Thanks to that ahole by way of Morgantown. His loss, our gain.

no way michigan if they fire Hoke can hire SS. they will need to make a splash with that hire

That 350k difference (and then some) could be made up just by SU dumping Giansante, Floyd and Mrs. DG from the payroll...or by not paying Gait 3x as much as any lax coach in the country.

That 350k difference (and then some) could be made up just by SU dumping Giansante, Floyd and Mrs. DG from the payroll...or by not paying Gait 3x as much as any lax coach in the country.

I'd like to keep Floyd but I'm okay with the rest of your ideas. Not sure exactly what Floyd does, but I think he would be a good mentor for the players and I just can't rid of an old #44.

I'm really suprised Addiazo is the 2nd lowest paid...Guy has 2 national championships under his belt.

Did you think DM would leave? You would have been the only one.

he is different he was coming from the nfl so I figured at some point he would and he didn't really seem to enjoy recruiting