Head Coaches | Air Raid Offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Head Coaches | Air Raid Offense

If I were the AD interviewing coaches I would be interested in the Air Raid but I would be open to other offenses that do these three things:

(1) Take advantage of the controlled environment of the Dome
(2) A scheme fits our talent (instead of fitting talent to a scheme)
(3) Doesn't require superior talent to get results.

For example Willie Fritz at GA Southern runs pretty much the exact opposite of Leach's Air Raid with 56 rushing attempts per game and he has had a TON of success down there. Took mighty UGA to the wire last weekend.

Whatever we decide to do, we need to employ an offensive IDENTITY and not try to be multiple- we are NOT the New England Patriots.

Last edited:
If I were the AD interviewing coaches I would be interested in the Air Raid but I would be open to other offenses that do these three things:

For example Willie Fritz at GA Southern runs pretty much the exact opposite of Leach's Air Raid with 56 rushing attempts per game and he has had a TON of success down there. Took mighty UGA to the wire last weekend.

Whatever we decide to do, we need to employ an offensive IDENTITY and not try to be multiple- we are NOT the New England Patriots.
Point #2 is interesting to me, because at this point I think we have enough evidence that the spread is a strategic advantage. It just makes sense to put the defense in position where it's spread out, regardless of the talent.

My hope is that the next HC adopts the Air Raid offense in the dome.

Air Raid is a shotgun spread, pass-first, hurry up, no huddle system that throws on 65%-75% of the plays. I can't think of a better system for the dome. It will attract players that want to play in an offense and venue that can showcase their skills.

It requires a smart QB as 90% of the run plays might be audibles. It can be run by either stationary or dual threat QBs, but they must be accurate passers first.

Lineman splits are as wide as a yard to create a longer distance for DEs and DTs to reach the QB and also creating wider passing lanes for West Coast type short pass patterns. For you over the middle types, the short crossing pattern is a staple of the Air Raid.

Here are a few of th Head Coaches that have built their careers on their version of the Air Raid.
Kevin Sumlin Texas Tech
Art Btiles Baylor
Kiff Kingsbury Texas Tech
Sonny Dikes Cal
Dana Holgorsen West Va
Ruffin McNeil Easr Carolina
Michael Leach Washington State

There are many teams playing versions of the Air Raid providing a large pool of talent from which to hire a HC or an OC.
Here are a few:

My hope is that the new coach installs a winning offense. That is all.

My hope is that the next HC adopts the Air Raid offense in the dome.

Air Raid is a shotgun spread, pass-first, hurry up, no huddle system that throws on 65%-75% of the plays. I can't think of a better system for the dome. It will attract players that want to play in an offense and venue that can showcase their skills.

It requires a smart QB as 90% of the run plays might be audibles. It can be run by either stationary or dual threat QBs, but they must be accurate passers first.

Lineman splits are as wide as a yard to create a longer distance for DEs and DTs to reach the QB and also creating wider passing lanes for West Coast type short pass patterns. For you over the middle types, the short crossing pattern is a staple of the Air Raid.

Here are a few of th Head Coaches that have built their careers on their version of the Air Raid.
Kevin Sumlin Texas Tech
Art Btiles Baylor
Kiff Kingsbury Texas Tech
Sonny Dikes Cal
Dana Holgorsen West Va
Ruffin McNeil Easr Carolina
Michael Leach Washington State

There are many teams playing versions of the Air Raid providing a large pool of talent from which to hire a HC or an OC.
Here are a few:
I can't be tantalized by a fun offense at this point. I need wins. It's like going to a strip club...i don't see the point at all if im not getting laid by one of the strippers. Stop giving me the show but not coming through with the happy ending.

people don't waste their time watching untalented teams. so they see baylor's awesome receivers and say pffff we can't do that. but they didn't watch baylor's ascension.

if you have to worry about fitting scheme to talent, bite the bullet and get new talent. rich rodriguez might've never done anything at WVU if he didn't rip off the bandaid

people don't waste their time watching untalented teams. so they see baylor's awesome receivers and say pffff we can't do that. but they didn't watch baylor's ascension.

if you have to worry about fitting scheme to talent, bite the bullet and get new talent. rich rodriguez might've never done anything at WVU if he didn't rip off the bandaid

I actually think we have the talent to run an Air Raid except for the QB. Dungey seems a little too run happy to allow plays to develop. Maybe that can be coached out of him or maybe one of the other QB's on the roster would be a better fit.

I feel like for the most part we have been telling our wide receivers to just run straight down field along the sidelines while leaving the middle of the field for tight ends and whatever we call the hybrid position. Using the entire field seems like something our wide receivers would be better at doing. Would be nice to see a chart of where all catches were made in the Lester offense and color coding by position.

I can't be tantalized by a fun offense at this point. I need wins. It's like going to a strip club...i don't see the point at all if im not getting laid by one of the strippers. Stop giving me the show but not coming through with the happy ending.
watch teams beside SU please

then you are not going to the strip club enough.

same with an air raid.

keep throwing it and eventually the Wins will come...and like with a stripper...faster than you think.

then you are not going to the strip club enough.

same with an air raid.

keep throwing it and eventually the Wins will come...and like with a stripper...faster than you think.

giphy.gif

Can we just try a pass happy, wide open offense? Please? Pretty please?! Just for the hell of it?!?!

I mean, we've tried a billion different versions of Northeast Run-Oriented Football (tm) and it hasn't worked worth a damn in a long freakin' time.

Hire a competent guy who will try to fill the air with footballs and if it doesn't work then fine. At least we gave it a shot.

But we have a freakin' dome. The only indoor stadium in all of P5. Can we just ONCE try to take advantage of that?

I feel advocating for a wide-open offense is like that scene in Ghostbusters...

MAYOR: And what if you're wrong?

DR. VENKMAN: If we're wrong, then nothing happens! We go to jail, peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it! But if we're right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.

Maybe it would've been better if you left Kansas off that list!

it's amazing how much resistance there is to forcing the spread down the field and out to the sides and running it up the middle where they aint

but that's not how otis anderson did it!
Did you enjoy the 3rd and 1 call in the 4th quarter last night? "We need a yard - let's send out our biggest players, draw the entire defense into one little area, and run into them. That should work. Ground and pound!"

I like Roman for the most part but what the hell was that

Can we just try a pass happy, wide open offense? Please? Pretty please?! Just for the hell of it?!?!

I mean, we've tried a billion different versions of Northeast Run-Oriented Football (tm) and it hasn't worked worth a damn in a long freakin' time.

Hire a competent guy who will try to fill the air with footballs and if it doesn't work then fine. At least we gave it a shot.

But we have a freakin' dome. The only indoor stadium in all of P5. Can we just ONCE try to take advantage of that?

DR. VENKMAN: If we're wrong, then nothing happens! We go to jail, peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it! But if we're right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.
Im not by any means saying we have to use a northeast based run system. Im just saying that people are too concerned with an exciting offense, that they seem to be willing to accept losses if the game is fun to watch. Ive heard others say that they would take a 7 win season over a 10 win season if the games are fun.

watch teams beside SU please
Im actually not sure if you are suggesting that I don't watch other teams to see what air raid offense is all about, or if you are saying i should watch other teams because they win and we don't...

Did you enjoy the 3rd and 1 call in the 4th quarter last night? "We need a yard - let's send out our biggest players, draw the entire defense into one little area, and run into them. That should work. Ground and pound!"

I like Roman for the most part but what the hell was that
roman is a big fat meathead. wastes the entire play clock deciding if he should run a sweep left or if he should run a sweep left

anyone who thinks the air raid is just about fun isn't paying attention
Im all for air raid if we win. It is exciting to watch without question. It would be interesting to see a study or numbers on how air raid effects defenses being on the field for extended periods of time due to scoring quickly. I guess it wouldn't have mattered much with our D this year though. They couldn't stop anything anyways.

Im not by any means saying we have to use a northeast based run system. Im just saying that people are too concerned with an exciting offense, that they seem to be willing to accept losses if the game is fun to watch. Ive heard others say that they would take a 7 win season over a 10 win season if the games are fun.

Let's not argue strawmen.

People want to win. Many think the best way for SU to win in a sustainable way is to implement a high-flying offensive approach that plays to the unique environment in which we play home games.

But I will say this... having followed teams that play all sorts of styles and have varying levels of success... give me a team with a great offense any day. When you can score you have hope, no matter how much you're down by. Not being able to stop people is frustrating, but not being able to score is excrutiating.

I've convinced myself Coyle came here specifically because he saw the chance to be a hero because nobody before him was smart enough to figure this out.

Im all for air raid if we win. It is exciting to watch without question. It would be interesting to see a study or numbers on how air raid effects defenses being on the field for extended periods of time due to scoring quickly. I guess it wouldn't have mattered much with our D this year though. They couldn't stop anything anyways.
i'm sure the air raid makes defenses worse. but the goal is not just to do whats best for the defense.

The #1 argument for the Air Raid offense is TCU, imo.

They entered the Big 12 in 2012 with a run-based spread offense and struggled mightily after years of dominating the MWC.

2012 - #73 total offense, #61 passing
2013 - #107 total offense, #75 passing

He dumped the co-offensive coordinators he had and hired Sonny Cumbie from Texas Tech and Doug Meacham from Houston - two Air Raid experts. The results...

2014 - #5 total offense, #7 passing
2015 - #2 total offense, #5 passing

Gary Patterson himself isn't an Air Raid guy but he's smart enough to know what works and hired the right people.

I've convinced myself Coyle came here specifically because he saw the chance to be a hero because nobody before him was smart enough to figure this out.
it's a perfect spot. all Coyle has to do is copy what a million other teams do. SU fans don't know anything about those teams. when it works, Coyle will be a genius to these people and many years from now, that will be the offense they're nostalgic for. "Where did he come up with this stuff? WOW he is smart!"

Last edited:
The #1 argument for the Air Raid offense is TCU, imo.

They entered the Big 12 in 2012 with a run-based spread offense and struggled mightily after years of dominating the MWC.

2012 - #73 total offense, #61 passing
2013 - #107 total offense, #75 passing

He dumped the co-offensive coordinators he had and hired Sonny Cumbie from Texas Tech and Doug Meacham from Houston - two Air Raid experts. The results...

2014 - #5 total offense, #7 passing
2015 - #2 total offense, #5 passing

Gary Patterson himself isn't an Air Raid guy but he's smart enough to know what works and hired the right people.
and the defense got way worse and he's smart enough not to care because they're better overall

Let's not argue strawmen.

People want to win. Many think the best way for SU to win in a sustainable way is to implement a high-flying offensive approach that plays to the unique environment in which we play home games.

But I will say this... having followed teams that play all sorts of styles and have varying levels of success... give me a team with a great offense any day. When you can score you have hope, no matter how much you're down by. Not being able to stop people is frustrating, but not being able to score is excrutiating.
I will agree with that yes.