Head Coaches | Air Raid Offense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Head Coaches | Air Raid Offense

If people sit down and watch Baylor, they will see that it's a pretty-balanced offense, and that all this young talent on offense seems to fit pretty well.

might've had more than 29 points if Marrone hadn't punted from the THIRTYTWO yard line

or if he hadn't punted on 4th and 2 at midfield down 12

good chance the new guy will be an upgrade over shafer and marrone
Don't forget attempting long field goals on 4th and short (Cincinnati).

GRob tried a pass first west coast offense and that killed SU football (some posters said that SU hasn't tried it before - we have). Unlike TCU and Baylor, we aren't located in Texas. We don't have the same kind of access to the same kind of talent. If we try to copy someone else's identity, we will always be second. We can't out sunshine Florida.

I'm all for innovation, and I think that we've been too run-dependent in the past, but we need to take a step back and evaluate where we are in the world, where our competition is, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and respond accordingly. Saying "team X successfully uses a west coast approach and we play in a Dome, so we should use a west coast approach" isn't a sufficient-enough analysis. That's drinking the Kool-Aid, and the last guy to drink the Kool-Aid is the guy who picks up the tab.

At this point, we're looking to consistently beat BC, Pitt, UL, and NCSU. WF is a given, FSU and Clemson will never be consistent wins (that's not to say that we can't get to the point where we can compete with them and hold our own), and the 4 OOC games can be adjusted to match our needs. BC will always be the last game, Pitt will probably be a late game (they were second to last 2/3 years), and NCSU and UL will vary.

Also at this point, we're in a position to recruit the northeast and get 3rd level picks out of places like Florida.

You do realize that a Walsh/Shannahan pro style "west coast offense" is nothing like a college spread B12 offense. And do you also realize that the Kelly run spread is very similar to what D put together here, just sped up and out of the gun.

might've had more than 29 points if Marrone hadn't punted from the THIRTYTWO yard line

or if he hadn't punted on 4th and 2 at midfield down 12

good chance the new guy will be an upgrade over shafer and marrone

Jesus, only uber nerds care about individual punt calls.

It ranks about 100th in the top 100 concerns in running a program.

GoSU96 said:
You do realize that a Walsh/Shannahan pro style "west coast offense" is nothing like a college spread B12 offense. And do you also realize that the Kelly run spread is very similar to what D put together here, just sped up and out of the gun.

They both had pass plays, they are exactly the same. Duhhhhh.

GRob tried a pass first west coast offense and that killed SU football (some posters said that SU hasn't tried it before - we have). Unlike TCU and Baylor, we aren't located in Texas. We don't have the same kind of access to the same kind of talent. If we try to copy someone else's identity, we will always be second. We can't out sunshine Florida.

I'm all for innovation, and I think that we've been too run-dependent in the past, but we need to take a step back and evaluate where we are in the world, where our competition is, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and respond accordingly. Saying "team X successfully uses a west coast approach and we play in a Dome, so we should use a west coast approach" isn't a sufficient-enough analysis. That's drinking the Kool-Aid, and the last guy to drink the Kool-Aid is the guy who picks up the tab.

At this point, we're looking to consistently beat BC, Pitt, UL, and NCSU. WF is a given, FSU and Clemson will never be consistent wins (that's not to say that we can't get to the point where we can compete with them and hold our own), and the 4 OOC games can be adjusted to match our needs. BC will always be the last game, Pitt will probably be a late game (they were second to last 2/3 years), and NCSU and UL will vary.

Also at this point, we're in a position to recruit the northeast and get 3rd level picks out of places like Florida. As such, there's a high probability that we will have to use a large number of players who grew up playing outside in terrible weather when we implement our system. They also learned football differently than most places (regions tend to have unique characteristics).

Next, unless we are willing to take (yet another) massive bath, the new system will have to use a large amount of current players for the next couple of years.

Finally, it is worth noting that we *do* have a dome (Idaho also has a dome so we're not unique, but we're close to it and ours is better). The dome inherently makes special teams and passing more important.

Advocate for whatever you want (i.e. air raid, cloud of dust, option, etc.), but address those issues, not whether it works at some college on the other side of the country who is playing a team that we've played 3x in the last 96 years. Also, style aside, if the new coach isn't aware of the nuances of our position, I don't think that he will succeed.

What about lowly Washington State located in east bejesus?

it only matters once you're good. but it matters a lot then. maybe we'll hit a home run, get a guy who checks off all the boxes and we win 11 games

it's ok that people don't watch college football but they shouldn't pretend like they do

I'm no junky but I know theres little difference between the two.

We all watched SU when Greg coached here. How can anyone say that was remotely similar to what Mike Leach ran?

I think you are missing the point. It isn't so much about disagreeing with a particular punt call and holding on years later. It is what the punt call represents, which in this case is an overly conservative approach and a fundamental lack of understanding probabilities. That kind of thinking will pervade a program and affects more than just a couple of punt calls a year. The kind of thinking that goes into making those punt calls is a much bigger concern for running a program and is highly relevant.

I think you are missing the point. It isn't so much about disagreeing with a particular punt call and holding on years later. It is what the punt call represents, which in this case is an overly conservative approach and a fundamental lack of understanding probabilities. That kind of thinking will pervade a program and affects more than just a couple of punt calls a year. The kind of thinking that goes into making those punt calls is a much bigger concern for running a program and is highly relevant.
That's what I believe, and you've articulated it perfectly.

The freeze option and the spread zone read are not really similar.

Millhouse said:
I am still pissed about that particular punt call

I'm still pissed about the FG with 4th and inches late in the game inside the 5 vs Rutgers which we lost in OT. Probably the most mad I ever was with Marrone. I lost it at the post game tailgate.

Reactions: CIL

Baloney, it's situational, strength and weaknesses of your team, varies by opponent, and how your team is playing at that point.

Shafer but punted in plus territory and sent the Bat signal out for Dixon routinely, was he conservative or a maniac?

I'm still pissed about the FG with 4th and inches late in the game inside the 5 vs Rutgers which we lost in OT. Probably the most mad I ever was with Marrone. I lost it at the post game tailgate.
I went apeshat over the louisville game in 2011. i think they were down 8 with 5 or 6 min left with a 4th and 3 or something like that. the dome was so silent i felt like i was carrying on a one sided conversation over it

Putting aside the fact that WCO and Air Raid aren't synonymous...

Maybe it didn't work under Robinson, but maybe that was more because Robinson was the worst coach in the history of Syracuse football.

Seriously... The Robinson WCO stuff just kills me.

First time OC Brian Pariani is installing our system. By game 3 he had Patterson running the option. He had Tim Lane, Rice Moss at WR, and by midseason he had moved a lightly recruited true freshman DB to WR and he was our most productive receiver. He tried to completely change our OL blocking scheme.

It was a mess for so many reasons.

But because of that, we shouldn't get try an OC from a Briles tree or a Leach tree or a Chip Kelly tree.

This thread...

I went apeshat over the louisville game in 2011. i think they were down 8 with 5 or 6 min left with a 4th and 3 or something like that. the dome was so silent i felt like i was carrying on a one sided conversation over it

The freeze option and the spread zone read are not really similar.

He got away from the freeze option in the early 90's, the offense kept evolving. They ran a lot out of the gun, including zone read type stuff later on.

Leach has it going this year. Not sure what you're trying to prove?
They gave him a 4th year with a worse record than Shafer and SU is going to lose for a while before the system is in place with the right players.