Here's the difference between SU and Missouri this week | Syracusefan.com

Here's the difference between SU and Missouri this week

GoSU96

Living Legend
Missouri is playing against Johnny Football in his house the following week, SU in Philly, which is likely to be an away scrimmage, like Rochester.

It is much more of a pressure game for Missouri than SU.

In ways that's good, more urgency for Missouri, and in ways bad, more pressure.

For SU they could approach it as whatever happens happens and lets get ready for the Owls.

Personally I want to see 8-5, but there's no gaskets blown if it doesnt't turn our that way.

Missouri is playing against Johnny Football in his house the following week, SU in Philly, which is likely to be an away scrimmage, like Rochester.

It is much more of a pressure game for Missouri than SU.

In ways that's good, more urgency for Missouri, and in ways bad, more pressure.

For SU they could approach it as whatever happens happens and lets get ready for the Owls.

Personally I want to see 8-5, but there's no gaskets blown if it doesnt't turn our that way.
go, if we lost two in a row there would be no gaskets blown with you. Not a knock, but you are on a diet of marrone kool aid. Having said that, Mizzou would be nice but at this stage, I would take temple and run to the hills with it.

As has been the case for 2 seasons, its about making the best of opportunities.

Obviously, all we "need" is a split in the next 2, and the outcome of the bowl isn't necessarily a must-win either.

That being said, we have an excellent opportunity to build some tremendous momentum. Win the next 2 and a bowl game and we enter the offseason with a full head of steam. We'd get a good amount of pub as being a program on the come as we enter the ACC and would have a solid turnout for the opener at MetLife against Penn State.

None of that is critical, but it'd sure be nice to cash in on an opportunity for a change.

Obviously, all we "need" is a split in the next 2, and the outcome of the bowl isn't necessarily a must-win either.

That being said, we have an excellent opportunity to build some tremendous momentum. Win the next 2 and a bowl game and we enter the offseason with a full head of steam. We'd get a good amount of pub as being a program on the come as we enter the ACC and would have a solid turnout for the opener at MetLife against Penn State.

None of that is critical, but it'd sure be nice to cash in on an opportunity for a change.

Yep, and Marrone would be the first to roger up to all of that.

One aspect of winning the next 2 games and a bowl is recruiting, an 8-5 record with a 4 game win streak would be appealing to undecided recruits. It would give the appearance of the program getting better, kids want to play but also they want to win.

We are better then Missouri and should beat them. I will be disappointed if they don't win.

We are better then Missouri and should beat them. I will be disappointed if they don't win.

Any away game is tough.

An away game with an SEC team that has had lots of success over the past few years is very tough.

"Hobbled and working with basically one good shoulder and one good knee, Missouri quarterback James Franklin willed his team to a quadruple overtime win over Tennessee on Saturday.

Not a ton was really expected from Franklin with all the pain surging through his body -- especially after that four-interception outing in the loss to Florida the week before -- but Franklin stood tall against Tennessee's struggling defense and served up 226 passing yards and four touchdowns.

His first touchdown pass -- a 25-yarder to Dorial Green-Beckham -- with 47 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter sent the game into overtime tied at 28. He proceeded to throw three more touchdown passes in the extra frames, including two that came on third down.

He also carried the ball 17 times for 43 yards. Seventeen times is a lot for someone who was basically held together by Band-Aids. But that just shows you how tough this guy is.

Franklin was really hurting physically and mentally after the loss to Florida, but bounced back in a major way to keep the Tigers' bowl hopes alive. Tennessee's defense has struggled all season, but the Tigers needed this win in the worst way and Franklin's play against the Vols was a major reason why Mizzou is one win away from being bowl eligible in its first year in the SEC."

Tennessee and their SEC defense held Troy to only 48 points so it's going to be tough to read how good the Missouri offense really is.

Need to win, dont want to go to Temple with it it being a must win. We are capable of losing that game as well. Im worried as we have genrally sucked on the road this year. Look at the Gophers, they have been terrible since they beat us.

Any away game is tough.

An away game with an SEC team that has had lots of success over the past few years is very tough.

Agree, I think it's very premature to say we SHOULD be winning at Mizzou. But it's nice to say something that I didn't think at the beginning of the year, which is that I think we definitely can win this game. Franklin is going to be a challenge. But one we should be used to given our last 3 games against athletic QBs.

Would be so nice to get this win. Not as much pressure in that Temple game, and we can just come out and destroy them, as everyone else in the Big East seems to be doing these days. I worry if that's for win #6, we're going to be pressing, that can lead to disaster.

My paranoia is making me ask, big east or sec refs? I'll take big east over the good ole boys anytime.

Yup, opportunity is the word. In no way, shape or form is it the end of the world if we lose. But, at some point, you have to start taking advantage of some opportunities to prove that you are actually a better a program and are actually making progress. This is one of those games. Not easy, but winnable.

Well said. And I'll add this - with dismissal of the Bernie Fine charges, we create the clear impression that we are NOT Penn State, as JB originally said. That has to be a recruiting plus for those solid 3- and 4-star recruits in the Northeast US.

We should win easily Missouri isn't a good team. They struggled against an awful UT team. SU 48-14

Well said. And I'll add this - with dismissal of the Bernie Fine charges, we create the clear impression that we are NOT Penn State, as JB originally said. That has to be a recruiting plus for those solid 3- and 4-star recruits in the Northeast US.
football recruits aren't going to care about something with the basketball program

football recruits aren't going to care about something with the basketball program

Respectfully I disagree. Good football players who aren't likely to make the pros (ie, the kind that we usually recruit and get) are going to look at the whole school - the education, the perception, job prospects upon graduation, etc. School perception plays a big part in this. Right now Penn State's reputation is definitely tarnished. Because Fine's charges were dropped, SU's reputation is not, or not nearly so much so.

Our recruits aren't just looking at the football program in a vacuum.

We should win easily Missouri isn't a good team. They struggled against an awful UT team. SU 48-14

Missouri is probably 3rd best team we play this year behind USC and Northwestern. You have not been paying attention.

4 out of 5 of their losses were to teams in the top 10. The other was 6-4 Vanderbilt. The Vols were fighting for their lives at home. It says a lot Missou was able to win that in 4 OT.

Syracuse winning @ Mizzouri would be huge, as need this game more than us.

When was the last time Syracuse beat an SEC team anyway...2001 Auburn?

Respectfully I disagree. Good football players who aren't likely to make the pros (ie, the kind that we usually recruit and get) are going to look at the whole school - the education, the perception, job prospects upon graduation, etc. School perception plays a big part in this. Right now Penn State' reputation is definitely tarnished. Because Fine's charges were dropped, SU's reputation is not, or not nearly so much so.

Our recruits aren't just looking at the football program in a vacuum.

I'd say 95% of the population outside Syracuse still thinks Fine did it and don't care that charges were dropped or even know that they were.

I'd say 95% of the population outside Syracuse still thinks Fine did it and don't care that charges were dropped or even know that they were.

But I'd say that the 5% includes the recruits, and in particular, their parents.

Agree, I think it's very premature to say we SHOULD be winning at Mizzou. But it's nice to say something that I didn't think at the beginning of the year, which is that I think we definitely can win this game. Franklin is going to be a challenge. But one we should be used to given our last 3 games against athletic QBs.

Would be so nice to get this win. Not as much pressure in that Temple game, and we can just come out and destroy them, as everyone else in the Big East seems to be doing these days. I worry if that's for win #6, we're going to be pressing, that can lead to disaster.

Right.

The attitude should be - we can win the game.

It should not be - we expect to win the game.

The "I expect to win" attitude is normally followed by "fire Hackett" or "don't give Marrone an extension" or "hire Bobby Petrino."

Dude ur living in dream land. Syracuse can certainly win this game but were not playing Mizz St.

Dude ur living in dream land. Syracuse can certainly win this game but were not playing Mizz St.
I bet you would have been more surprised if i said SU would trounce Louisville. Missouri got killed by those so called top ten teams except Florida who isn't exactly looking good lately. SU's defense seems to dominate poor offensive teams like Missouri. Offensively I don't think any one can stop SU right now, let's be honest. In case any one hasn't noticed the SEC is down this year. They are an offensively challenged league that is just brutal to watch.

Missouri is probably 3rd best team we play this year behind USC and Northwestern. You have not been paying attention.
Is this one of those "on paper" thingies?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom