Here's the problem with the guard transfers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Here's the problem with the guard transfers

Goodine could have stayed if he wanted to compete for playing time. He chose to leave and take the easy way out. Whatever happened to working hard and improving your game to earn minutes. He quit on the program after one year. Think of all the others guys during the good years that stayed after not playing much or being productive as freshman and got significantly better during their second years.
MCW is a player that comes to mind. He seemed incredibly frustrated with the last of minutes he was getting his freshman year, and look what he accomplished sticking it out and coming back for his sophomore year.

MCW is a player that comes to mind. He seemed incredibly frustrated with the last of minutes he was getting his freshman year, and look what he accomplished sticking it out and coming back for his sophomore year.

True. At the same time, Waiters and Scoop were gone and he 100% knew he’d be starting at PG the next year.

Not the case for Goodine. He’d be the 3rd guard at best for 2 more years at least, here.

I'll never believe in the next guy until I see them. Ever.
Cool. I didn’t see enough from the last guy to believe in him.

Not saying Goodine won’t improve, but he didn’t even show glimpses of his potential. Wouldn’t have had much of a head start on Richmond.

Cool. I didn’t see enough from the last guy to believe in him.

Not saying Goodine won’t improve, but he didn’t even show glimpses of his potential. Wouldn’t have had much of a head start on Richmond.
this is absolutely wrong. on defense, Goodine is light years ahead of Richmond. just being in the system one year is like taking a master class.

this is absolutely wrong. on defense, Goodine is light years ahead of Richmond. just being in the system one year is like taking a master class.
How would you know that without having seen Richmond yet?

Richmond is taller with a longer wingspan. That will help cover up mistakes during nonconference play. He’ll probably be as far along as Goodine by January.

How would you know that without having seen Richmond yet?

Richmond is taller with a longer wingspan. That will help cover up mistakes during nonconference play. He’ll probably be as far along as Goodine by January.
And when he makes his first mistake he will take a seat on the bench.

Kaleb Joseph’s problem was he was expected to be Tyler Ennis 2.0.

Ennis in 2014 bailed Boeheim’s short rotations out.
We only had 3 guards in 2014.
Ennis, Cooney and Gbinije.

We should have hit the recruiting trail hard for that class with multiple guards. We needed more than just Joseph.

RF has nailed time and time again Monte Morris paid his own way to our camp and didn’t even get an offer.
Then we lose Newton to Miami and Brunson to Villanova because of the zone.

Our coaches walked the tight rope.

Ennis bailed us out how good he was.
The staff expected a second year but didn’t recruit a big class.

Our problem is we don’t recruit enough quality depth at the important spots.
We get 1 body and hope that is enough.

Our problems are our own fault. The HC has to change how he feels or recruit quality players every year.

If he had Duke talent each year he would get more out of it.
Kaleb Joseph's problem was that he was not an ACC player

Tossed in the fire early, but when he went to Creighton he was a non factor there as well.

The misses hurt and hurt badly. Recruiting isn't an exact science, but sheesh.

Recruiting has been rough and when you lose a couple of scholarships each year your margin of error is greatly reduced on recruiting. Sometimes one really good recruit can mask the flaws and shortcomings of those around him and losing a good one hurts more with fewer players.

No, not a luxury. We won’t be successful playing those two guys 40 minutes a night. We need solid backups.
Kadary will play at both guard spots next year and will play alot. If he doesn't I will have no option but to join the Alsacs club. But in the meantime the non-stop bugling of the leader of the club is driving me nuts. Like we haven't read a 1000 times how ya all feel.

Of the 89 player x season with greater than 100 minutes played since 2011 season ranked by Box Plus Minus, Washington this year ranked 85, Goodine 86 and Carey last year 87.

It also shows that Buddy had the worst defensive BPM, during the same time span, this season, slightly edged out Gillon.
Defensive metrics for individuals for baskeball are tough to do. You end up with bizarre results like this defensive box plus minus, that says Tyus Battle and Brandon Triche were really poor defensive players, and Bourama Sidibe is far above average. That is crazy.

Guards and forwards get severely punished for playing with poor defensive centers. Centers in general get way too much credit for showing up.

No offense, but I find this stat worthless. Trying to access defensive prowess in a team game in a vacuum just doesn’t work. IMHO.

Defensive metrics for individuals for baskeball are tough to do. You end up with bizarre results like this defensive box plus minus, that says Tyus Battle and Brandon Triche were really poor defensive players, and Bourama Sidibe is far above average. That is crazy.

Guards and forwards get severely punished for playing with poor defensive centers. Centers in general get way too much credit for showing up.

No offense, but I find this stat worthless. Trying to access defensive prowess in a team game in a vacuum just doesn’t work. IMHO.
Agreed.
When it comes to kids in our zone its very easy to determine who is solid or not. Bud and Joe are below average. Both are slow and Joe is small. Not a great combo.

Disagree on Sidibe. There have been lots of SU centers that people either thought sucked or were average at best, that came on later in their careers. Often times it wasnt until their senior year. I think Sidibe is poised for a solid senior season - one in which he’ll be better than roughly half of the centers in the league.
3/4 of league

Kadary will play at both guard spots next year and will play alot. If he doesn't I will have no option but to join the Alsacs club. But in the meantime the non-stop bugling of the leader of the club is driving me nuts. Like we haven't read a 1000 times how ya all feel.

Welcome to the club! :) We will keep your seat warm!

No, who knows, I do hope Kadary can contribute right away - certainly would be nice to add that extra dimension to our offense. We'll see what plays out in the grad transfer market as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom