Here's the problem with the guard transfers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Here's the problem with the guard transfers

And yet, you did.
Because I lose my mind with the argument made that is the counselor in me.

If I disagree with this something and it’s a debate okay. When it’s something childish I lose my mind. I know I am not right on everything and get a lot wrong. With that said everything I argue is debatable even if it turns out wrong.
When someone says something like that I lose it.

This doesn’t help your argument.
We have people saying Goodine wouldn’t have played anywhere last year.

Was their a Buddy Boeheim ahead of Gbinije at Syracuse his last 2 years at his position?

My only “argument” is that force feeding guys early minutes that they don’t deserve to “develop” them is not how it works.

And you can develop and earn PT when you’re good enough to, and still become an excellent player. Goodine’s freshman year was not a death sentence to his career.

My only “argument” is that force feeding guys early minutes that they don’t deserve to “develop” them is not how it works.

And you can develop and earn PT when you’re good enough to, and still become an excellent player. Goodine’s freshman year was not a death sentence to his career.
Goodine saw what was ahead and left.
He wants to play.

I did not. Go check what I said. I said we would win games because the ACC was down and that win streak was in jeopardy but I was not saying it was 100% over.

I saw what the conference was going to be.
While I might have a lot of extra free time now, I’m not going to spend it digging through your old posts.

Even if you didn’t say it, plenty of people did.

Only played 111 minutes as a freshman at Duke and still just 497 as a third year sophomore. How did he ever manage to “develop” without being handed early playing time?

What's the parallel here? These are kinda unique situations. I'm not sure you see a light at the end of the tunnel when the 40 MPG guy ahead of you is putting up 0 points against Florida State, or a Baylor last year...because they, uhhhh, can run fast.

And you're still getting pulled after your first miss each game.

You may normally want to bet on yourself, but in this situation, I'm not sure you want to.

Given that Moyer shot 50% here and 30% there...since those two shot 30% here, would they shoot 10% at Vandy?

Is this a riddle?

I thought Moyer sucked in his high school highlight reel. So, I was never quite sure why people were enamored with him. Thought he might turn into a guy that could grab rebounds, be an energy dude, and spaz out a lot. That's about what he became.

I call it the way I see it.
I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong.
Right now our fanbase is full of people who don’t want to be realists.

I was optimistic for next year now I am not.
I have given JB credit for fixing the offense but again we can’t have complete teams.
We are losing players in the program and need actual scholarship athletes for next year.
You definitely said we needed to free up scholarships. Problem solved.

These guys weren’t going to play that much. And they were never going to start, which is what they want. We have a guard coming in. We can survive this tragedy.

You definitely said we needed to free up scholarships. Problem solved.

These guys weren’t going to play that much. And they were never going to start, which is what they want. We have a guard coming in. We can survive this tragedy.
I said we need to open 1 scholarship but that was before it was obvious Hughes was leaving.

I also said Carey was leaving which meant we didn’t need to lose anyone else.

I wasn’t in the blowup the roster thread.

Goodine wasn’t a guy I wanted to go.

My suggestion was to keep everyone and if we moved Buddy to walk-on, give JB a 100k raise nobody had to go.

Goodine saw what was ahead and left.
He wants to play.
Exactly. So why get all worked up over a player who was only going to see significant PT if Girard or Boeheim got hurt? He was a luxury, not a necessity.

Exactly. So why get all worked up over a player who was only going to see significant PT if Girard or Boeheim got hurt? He was a luxury, not a necessity.
You realize we need a thing called depth right?
What grad transfer is going to come in to be deep bench here?

We need practice depth.
If a player turns an ankle you okay with having only 2 guards on the roster?

This is brutal roster management.

Also our starting guards aren’t exactly superstars.

You realize we need a thing called depth right?
What grad transfer is going to come in to be deep bench here?

We need practice depth.
If a player turns an ankle you okay with having only 2 guards on the roster?

This is brutal roster management.

Also our starting guards aren’t exactly superstars.
We have Richmond coming in. Maybe we find a fourth guard, maybe we don’t. We’ve rarely needed one.

Goodine wasn’t going to hang around another three years just so we could have a deep bench.

We will survive this tragedy.

Some of this is a complete disconnect for me...but people see what they want to see. I see a team that was headed for a 16 loss season with obvious deficiencies and without any superstar type players on the team sans Hughes, still couldn't find a way to get some of the other viable guys (a la Goodine, etc.) any legitimate/meaningful minutes.

We have Richmond coming in. Maybe we find a fourth guard, maybe we don’t. We’ve rarely needed one.

Goodine wasn’t going to hang around another three years just so we could have a deep bench.

We will survive this tragedy.
Congrats on the Stanley Cup.
Maybe we get a rematch this year.

so if those guys played in front of Buddy and Girard because of their stellar defense, we would have lost games 65-40 instead. Awesome.

But if you do go for a run, stay 6 feet away from people.
I got gym equipment in my basement. Will just play video games while running on treadmill.

Playing Tecmo Super Bowl picked a team at random playing as Phoenix Cardinals.
Having Johnny Johnson leading the league in rushing. Tim Rosenbach is an awful QB.
Ken Harvey leading the league in sacks.

I got gym equipment in my basement. Will just play video games while running on treadmill.

Playing Tecmo Super Bowl picked a team at random playing as Phoenix Cardinals.
Having Johnny Johnson leading the league in rushing. Tim Rosenbach is an awful QB.
Ken Harvey leading the league in sacks.
Been looking at used PS3s and NCAA Football 14 for the last hour...

Jalen Carey was our guy. We identified him early, built the relationship, and had a plan and future for him. Now, Battle came back, and when he did that changed the immediate direction of things for Carey, plus he got injured, but he was a guy at one point that was expected to be a critical, build-around-him part of the team.

He accomplished very little on court for us and is now in the portal.

Brycen Goodine was our guy. Camped, mutual love, we locked him up very early and very quietly. He was considered a critical part of the class, likely early contributor, possible push as a starter. A guy that GMAC got a lot of credit for when it all got locked in early.

He accomplished very little on court for us and is now in the portal.

If people want to say no big loss, they weren't as good as we thought, ok...

Why weren't they as good as the staff thought?

This is a problem.
Right. We either did not give them a good opportunity once they got here or we did a poor job scouting before we recruited them. It's hard for me to believe there wasn't room for at least one of the three to contribute in some way. It's not like we have current or future all americans burying them on the bench.

We should also credit the coaches with players who turned out to be better than their ratings: Oshae Brissett, Bourama Sidibie, Elijah Hughes, (yes, I know a transfer but they still had to evaluate him), Buddy Boeheim, Joe Girard, etc.
I really only think this is true of Brissett and maybe Hughes with the astersk you already mentioned. Buddy and Joe are solid but their numbers are really a product of the lack of talent that should be in front of then. Sidibe hasn't surpassed any expectations with one year left to do it.

That's not true about his minutes never going down going forward. Josh Wright was the starter the year before Jonny Flynn hit campus. Flynn gets to SU and takes the position for himself before the season begins. Goodine has a number of holes in his game. I knew Carey was leaving. Goodine would have been the first guard off of the bench had he come into the 2020-21 season with a better jump shot. As a guard, you have to be able to put the ball in the basket from a distance. The times he played, he was often left open because scouting said he can't put the ball in the basket from the mid range or perimeter. This isn't high school where you were the most athletic person on the court.
Are you really using a MMA supplanting an underachieving veteran that had personal and academic problems as an example of someone that could take minutes from a veteran. Wright lost his starting job part way through the season prior to Flynn arriving on campus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom