Hey, Jordan Tucker | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, Jordan Tucker

I find it odd that people get mad when someone says anything about said recruit just on a message board yet our fans trash our players every year including social media. There's no difference.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ehh. He'd be our 3rd best forward at best, maybe 4th. Next year could have been his year. I think he and Bolden both hurt their long term futures going to Duke.

Hes a top 40 player, and we wouldn't have got Marek if we got Tucker. I said right after he committed to Duke it wasn't a smart decision for him, Su would have been the perfect fit.

Hes a top 40 player, and we wouldn't have got Marek if we got Tucker. I said right after he committed to Duke it wasn't a smart decision for him, Su would have been the perfect fit.

Not even top 100 anymore. Brissett and Marek were ranked higher.

Unfortunately for Tucker and his family they should of seen this coming a mile away. Also I'd like to criticize coach k for pursuing a kid whom he probably knew he wouldn't really play and would sit on the bench. It's pretty disgusting and now Tucker won't be playing this year.

Eh, Tucker isn't some one and done. K is stockpiling talent. Besides, Allen, Carter, Trent Jr., Duval, Bagley, will all be gone after this season with four of those guys probable first round picks. I wish we could get a collection of that kind of talent or at least offer more top guys and then just let it all play out if they do choose SU. If he's good enough he'll play...at Duke or anywhere. A guy like Silent G obviously wasn't, transferred, improved a TON here, and it worked out.

Say what you want about Tucker, but you can make a pretty good argument there's a few guys who have cost themselves millions by going to Duke. Marques Bolden is at the top of that list.

I find it odd that people get mad when someone says anything about said recruit just on a message board yet our fans trash our players every year including social media. There's no difference.

Are the same people doing it though? I'm not a huge fan of either thing, depending on how you define "trashing" a player. Saying a guy isn't good enough to play or whatever I think is fine, reveling when things go against them, not so much. All IMO, of course.

Maybe he's ok with that. Maybe he thinks he can compete with them.

I try not to pretend like I know what's best for people I don't know.

I'm sure that he does, as does the guys he is competing with for playing time, maybe he proves us all wrong and gets a lot of pt and shines, but no doubt the better opportunity was here.

Eh, Tucker isn't some one and done. K is stockpiling talent. Besides, Allen, Carter, Trent Jr., Duval, Bagley, will all be gone after this season with four of those guys probable first round picks. I wish we could get a collection of that kind of talent or at least offer more top guys and then just let it all play out if they do choose SU. If he's good enough he'll play...at Duke or anywhere. A guy like Silent G obviously wasn't, transferred, improved a TON here, and it worked out.
Tucker could be looking at the same trajectory. Sure there's more oxygen to breath in the 18-19 season (post Bagley, Duval, Allen, Carter, et al), but that won't last with Duke's recruiting. He could be recruited over next cycle. I think 0307's right that Tucker and Bolden will be on the outside looking in. My gripe is not that Tucker chose Duke. Great program with good academics. But he spent lots of time being courted by SU only to jump on the K bandwagon at the 11th hour when Duke got snubbed by another prospect. It was apparently lost on him that he was an afterthought in Duke's recruiting, so I hope he's not surprised when he's an afterthought on K's roster.

As far as Tucker's fit at SU, I'm not saying he's any better - right now - than Brissett/Dolezaj, but he'd probably have a better chance at PT (and getting developed) if he had danced with the one that brung him.

Last edited:
But he spent lots of time being courted by SU only to jump on the K bandwagon at the 11th hour when Duke lost out on another prospect. It apparently was lost on him that he was an afterthought in Duke's recruiting, so I hope he's not surprised when he's an afterthought on K's roster.

If I were impartial I would say that isn't surprising. Duke is the better program and I'm sure Tucker thinks he can come in and compete for PT.

I mean we try to apply the same rationale on the football side with highly coveted recruits v big time programs (start right away lots of PT, etc). Very rarely does it ever work out in our favor.

80th on scout

68th on rival

Interesting cause his composite on 247 is 84. Must be a miscalc. Either way fail on my part.

Last edited:
Tucker could be looking at the same trajectory. Sure there's more oxygen to breath in the 18-19 season (post Bagley, Duval, Allen, Carter, et al), but that won't last with Duke's recruiting. He could be recruited over next cycle. I think 0307's right that Tucker and Bolden will be on the outside looking in. My gripe is not that Tucker chose Duke. Great program with good academics. But he spent lots of time being courted by SU only to jump on the K bandwagon at the 11th hour when Duke lost out on another prospect. It apparently was lost on him that he was an afterthought in Duke's recruiting, so I hope he's not surprised when he's an afterthought on K's roster.

As far as Tucker's fit at SU, I'm not saying he's any better - right now - than Brissett/Dolezaj, but he'd probably have a better chance at PT (and getting developed) if he had danced with the one that brung him.

Totally. It is what it is. Some of these kids get so infatuated with the cache of a Duke/UK/now Arizona perhaps (I think they are above Kansas now in recruiting, IMO) offer that it doesn't matter how much time was invested into them or their fit/playing time moving forward in college.

It's a slippery slope. I'd like to see SU offer and battle for these kids more, but, it is clear that we are a tier below them in recruiting and that pecking order so why waste the time. These programs can come in sooner or later and take whomever. That's fine. It is what it is.

I want to see play get better on the court. I don't care about the projects we are putting into the league. They are giving us bubble seasons anyways as of late. I guess the key is to find enough of those Villanova/Louisville/UNC type guys who won't max out talent-wise in school quickly and bolt pulling houdinis on the NBA folks (see Ennis/Lydon who are probably NBA bench warmers), guys who actually develop and want to stay in school, etc. Those are the tier of schools we are competing with in recruiting. Maybe not UNC and swap them with Maryland/Michigan/Michigan St./Miami.

Last edited:
Totally. It is what it is. Some of these kids get so infatuated with the cache of a Duke/UK/now Arizona perhaps (I think they are above Kansas now in recruiting, IMO) offer that it doesn't matter how much time was invested into them or their fit/playing time moving forward in college.

It's a slippery slope. I'd like to see SU offer and battle for these kids more, but, it is clear that we are a tier below them in recruiting and that pecking order so why waste the time. These programs can come in sooner or later and take whomever. That's fine. It is what it is.
Agree on all counts. I'm not criticizing kids -- it's their decision. 5 stars can play wherever they want. If you're a 4, however, and you go to a selector school like Duke for, not the fit, but the prestige -- you're going to be competing for time with the nation's top players. When the chic wears off, the pine's going to get tiring, and it might not get any easier next cycle. Tucker will get good coaching at Duke -- they have a great staff -- for about 2 months. Then when the bright lights come on and Tucker's not getting developed in game situations ... it might be a different story. But I get the whole dazzling lights deal (and WWW at "University" of Kentucky). UK, Duke and Zona have it going. We're on the next level -- for now. In '18, we have Baze (amazing start), but we'll need a whole new backcourt if TB jumps. Getting Carey would be the second piece of the 2 year (post-Hop) rebuild - I think we're going to need a SG who's at Battle's level.

Last edited:
Agree on all counts. I'm not criticizing kids -- it's their decision. 5 stars can play wherever they want. If you're a 4, however, and you go to a selector school like Duke for, not the fit, but the prestige -- you're going to be competing for time with the nation's top players. When the chic wears off, the pine's going to get tiring, and it might not get any easier next cycle. Tucker will get good coaching at Duke -- they have a great staff -- for about 2 months. Then when the big games start and Tucker's not getting developed in game situations ... it might be a different story. But I get the whole shining lights story (and WWW at "University" of Kentucky). UK, Duke and Zona have it going. We're on the next level -- for now. In '18, we'll need a whole new backcourt if TB jumps. Getting Carey would be the second piece of our 2 year rebuild - I think we're going to need a SG who's at Battle's level.

Yup. The 5* Top 10-15 guys will be lottery picks in a year or two. That's just how it is more often than not. They want the coolest vibe/package too, IMO. The whole arms race matters too and cache with that. Locker rooms, dorms, etc., we are behind all those top dogs. It's fine. We just have to hit on these 4* guys, have them stay and not maximize their talent/ability so quickly, and develop them more. Landing a Bazely is a gem to savor for as long as he will be around. He's the most talented player since Melo. He's also the norm for some of those top dog schools.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom