Hey, Jordan Tucker | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, Jordan Tucker

I'm more concerned with Dr. Tucker rather than Jordan Tucker. Having said that; forget this PC crappola, I hope he rides the Duke pine until he transfers to Gonzaga...

Unfortunately for Tucker and his family they should of seen this coming a mile away. Also I'd like to criticize coach k for pursuing a kid whom he probably knew he wouldn't really play and would sit on the bench. It's pretty disgusting and now Tucker won't be playing this year.

I find it interesting to "fault" K for grabbing all the talent he can and letting the players decide who does or does not play. Especially as this is likely the twilight of K's career given his health issues.

As for Tucker "seeing this coming" - most top 50-100 players think they will play, get to the league, shock the world. Tucker is no different.

Different players but, a few years down the road, I think you will be right. Hard to say right now.
I think Tucker is a better shooter than Oshae but outside of that I think Oshae is a better player. Better rebounder, better ball handler, better defender and less drama filled. Just my opinion. If Oshae was a US kid he would be in the 20-25 range in this class I think where as I think 40-50 is about where Tucker belongs.

I think Oshae is better than Tucker period if that is the argument you were trying to put forward I completely agree.

Yeah thought I saw somewhere Tucker dropped, but I was wrong. I actually think we made out well missing on Tucker. I know not everyone thinks the same.

Different players but, a few years down the road, I think you will be right. Hard to say right now.

I'm the first to admit making absolute predictions before we see these guys play at this level is kind of dumb.

At the risk of being dumb (again) I don't think we will have to wait a few years down the road. Brissett will be the better player from day one, IMO.

Unfortunately for Tucker and his family they should of seen this coming a mile away. Also I'd like to criticize coach k for pursuing a kid whom he probably knew he wouldn't really play and would sit on the bench. It's pretty disgusting and now Tucker won't be playing this year.
Coach K isn't supposed to recruit depth? Was it "disgusting" when JB recruited Johnny Flynn and Scoop Jardine in the same class knowing that it was likely Flynn would be the starter?

It's a good thing you guys have all decided which of the players on Duke's roster next season will get all of the playing time. Now K can sit back, take your lead and manage his roster based on the recruiting rankings. Last time I checked Tucker's greatest asset was elite shooting ability. Seems to me that that is a differentiator between him and all of the roster parts not named Grayson Allen. Maybe, just maybe there will be some playing time there for him and maybe he has a more realistic expectation than to think he was going to be one and done. Great shooters can always carve out time, I wouldn't relegate him to the transfer pile quite yet.

So Tucker may not start at Duke, so he should've come here and started because were not as good a team. I guess?
No he was simply a better fit for us.

He and Marques Bolden transfer after this year.
He may not play a lot this year, but he probably will next season.
Hes a top 40 player, and we wouldn't have got Marek if we got Tucker. I said right after he committed to Duke it wasn't a smart decision for him, Su would have been the perfect fit.
We still would have taken Marek. My understanding is that he was part of the puzzle even while we we're recruiting Tucker. Maybe we don't take Hughes as a regular transfer if we get Tucker.

We criticize kids who go to different schools when they claim Syracuse is their dream school. Now we criticize Tucker for committing to his own dream. Kid thinks he can earn playing time against the best competition college basketball has to offer, how can you not respect that?

I ask myself this question whenever this happens... how do these kids re-classify? Did they repeat a grade? How do they have enough credits? I understand the kids that graduate then do a post-grad year like Diallo, Lydon, Ayala etc, but how does a kid at a public high school suddenly graduate early? I was a good student, got into a top 10 university, and couldn't graduate high school even a semester early even if I tried. How do these kids do it?

I ask myself this question whenever this happens... how do these kids re-classify? Did they repeat a grade? How do they have enough credits? I understand the kids that graduate then do a post-grad year like Diallo, Lydon, Ayala etc, but how does a kid at a public high school suddenly graduate early? I was a good student, got into a top 10 university, and couldn't graduate high school even a semester early even if I tried. How do these kids do it?

Were you good at basketball?

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach K isn't supposed to recruit depth? Was it "disgusting" when JB recruited Johnny Flynn and Scoop Jardine in the same class knowing that it was likely Flynn would be the starter?

Finding fault with Coach K for building the best team he can is...something.

I do find it interesting how so many kids are willing to go to Duke when they know he plays a short bench. So many AA's have gone there, rode the pine, and transferred out. It's something Boeheim is knocked for, but Coach K uses his bench the exact same way.

Yet Duke often seems to have big recruits as their 8th-12th men riding the pine.

I do find it interesting how so many kids are willing to go to Duke when they know he plays a short bench. So many AA's have gone there, rode the pine, and transferred out. It's something Boeheim is knocked for, but Coach K uses his bench the exact same way.

Yet Duke often seems to have big recruits as their 8th-12th men riding the pine.

It is interesting. Lately it seems he is getting so many studs that there is such a HUGE dropoff it seems from them to the Obi/Gbinijie types. Perhaps the recruitniks overhyped these guys? I don't know but usually it does seem that those guys aren't ready to contribute early on...at least compared to the studs. I don't know.

It's probably just every highly rated kid think he's good enough to make the 6/7 man rotation. If you have 10 on the roster, obviously 2 or 3 are going to be on the outside, but they all think they're going to be a major part of the rotation.

It's probably just every highly rated kid think he's good enough to make the 6/7 man rotation. If you have 10 on the roster, obviously 2 or 3 are going to be on the outside, but they all think they're going to be a major part of the rotation.

At the time he also probably thought they weren't going to get Bagley. Literally nobody was talking about him in the early spring. Smart for Duke to add depth for sure, but if they get Bagley first do they go after Tucker?

Most had reclassified already to improve their chances of securing a better scholarship offer at 19 than they could get at 18. Usually happens around 9th grade. If they are highly ranked and academically cleared then as a senior they can choose to reclassify back and graduate in their original year. If not, they can go to prep school for a year (usually they have used up their HS eligibility) to physically mature and prep for the college game. It's a low risk way to keep the options open.

Most had reclassified already to improve their chances of securing a better scholarship offer at 19 than they could get at 18. Usually happens around 9th grade. If they are highly ranked and academically cleared then as a senior they can choose to reclassify back and graduate in their original year. If not, they can go to prep school for a year (usually they have used up their HS eligibility) to physically mature and prep for the college game. It's a low risk way to keep the options open.

Interesting, I never really thought about that.

Looking at Bagley specifically, he was born in March, I was April, so basically the same time. I went into college the summer after I turned 18. Bagley is 18. So this is the year he "should" be going to college anyway

I don't have any ill will toward Jordan Tucker. I hope he will be happy at Duke. That said, I do suspect he will regret his decision. I don't think he's a starter on such a loaded team. He might even be lucky to crack their rotation.

That's not a knock on the kid, nor does it mean we shouldn't have recruited him. It does, however, speak volumes about how good Duke will be next year.

I would not be surprised to see him transfer in a year or two. We shall see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom