Hofstra Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Hofstra Gameday...

Hey Dcuse,
Whose the moron now?! How’s our team doing this year? My concerns/thoughts/observations after only 1 game again look pretty solid. We may potentially go the entire season without winning 1 ‘real’ lacrosse game! Sad. Cupcake wins don’t count to me. This may be rock bottom for our SU lacrosse program.

I’m still hoping that we can turn it around in the years to come, but, like they said in ‘Planes, Trains, and Automobiles’, “You’re going the wrong way!”.

Either way, Deez Nuts (or Dcuse), maybe be careful next time about making fun of people… Go SU lax, and I’m out

Dazed And Confused GIF

This is about what I expect from Syracuse right now. (someone else mentioned this to.) We're way better than the mid majors but not quite good enough to beat the legit top 10 teams.

We have to win the next 2 (Bonnies and Hobart) would expect to smash both. Have to win @Princeton.

Then steal one from @ND, @UNC, @UVA or @Duke

This would put us at 8-7. Might not be good enough to get in but would be very encouraging and I'd consider it a successful season. Take 2 of the @ACC games and we should be in at 9-6.

I was expecting more from the Orange this season. I still think they have more talent than UNC, and they really should have beaten a Hopkins team coming off short rest who was playing on the road. Those two losses really sting. Additionaly those are two teams they will be fighting against for tournmanent births, and they already put themselves behind the eightball. And while Duke probably earned the win, SU let them off the hook.

It's been a pretty troubling recent history of not being able to close out close games (UNC and Cornell last year). The Brent Axe article recently seemed to be pretty positive about the team (ironic given the recent uproar surrounding poor Axe), intimating the team was getting close to turning things around. Is it fools gold I guess is the question? Right now it kind of seems like it.

Frustrating season to be honest. SU is getting tremendous contributions from their freshmen and transfers, but they just have issues at SSDM and face-off that I feel like are going to hold them back all season. We shall see what happens, but if they are only able to win the next two games (no wins against ACC or Princeton), that will be a big underperformance for me. Yes the team is incredibly young, but they also are talented, more talented then I think the results show. Time to put up or shut up.

I was expecting more from the Orange this season. I still think they have more talent than UNC, and they really should have beaten a Hopkins team coming off short rest who was playing on the road. Those two losses really sting. Additionaly those are two teams they will be fighting against for tournmanent births, and they already put themselves behind the eightball. And while Duke probably earned the win, SU let them off the hook.

It's been a pretty troubling recent history of not being able to close out close games (UNC and Cornell last year). The Brent Axe article recently seemed to be pretty positive about the team (ironic given the recent uproar surrounding poor Axe), intimating the team was getting close to turning things around. Is it fools gold I guess is the question? Right now it kind of seems like it.

Frustrating season to be honest. SU is getting tremendous contributions from their freshmen and transfers, but they just have issues at SSDM and face-off that I feel like are going to hold them back all season. We shall see what happens, but if they are only able to win the next two games (no wins against ACC or Princeton), that will be a big underperformance for me. Yes the team is incredibly young, but they also are talented, more talented then I think the results show. Time to put up or shut up.

I expected them to beat Hopkins so I had some disappointment there, I also expected a better game with UNC, but I can't be disappointed to date. UNC is a veteran team with lofty pre-season expectations. The gap between freshman and juniors/seniors is VAST and I don't care what they were ranked as a prospect. The mental and physical gap is larger than people think. This team has gone toe to toe with Maryland (3), Duke (1), UNC (6), Hopkins (2) hard to be upset when looking at how much youth is leading this team, but that's just me.

I’m not. Looks like he could donate more. Lol
I think it is awesome that Gait had the team at his house. It is certainly a move in the right direction to get Cercy more involved with the program. It seems to me that if Chris had not been supportive and engaged it would have been unlikely that they would have ended up at his house for dinner.

P.S. Everyone could donate more :)

I think it's great they had a nice team bonding trip away from lacrosse. This team is young and those last 2 losses to Duke and Hopkins were crushing defeat's especially Hopkins. Sometimes a team bonding trip away from the game, having some laughs together brings the team closer. Next time there in a tight battle the last few mins of the game they bite down on there mouthpiece and go fight together to get that W. That's why usually teams more experienced playing together know how to finish. They know how to fight and claw together as a team and pick eachother up until that final whistle. Who knows this team can definitely grow from losing those close battles early in season. U have to learn how to win those close games. Maybe it was good they had those early in season so now the end of season they find ways to win those games. Get into the tournament and most of those games are close grueling battles til the end. If they keep improving they can beat Princeton and UNC. Then maybe upset one of the 3 monsters ND, Virginia and Duke. Not sure this young team can do it agajnst ND or Virginia but if they do beat Princeton and UNC they will be on the bubble. Maybe they take down Duke in the final game to lock it up.

I think it's great they had a nice team bonding trip away from lacrosse. This team is young and those last 2 losses to Duke and Hopkins were crushing defeat's especially Hopkins. Sometimes a team bonding trip away from the game, having some laughs together brings the team closer. Next time there in a tight battle the last few mins of the game they bite down on there mouthpiece and go fight together to get that W. That's why usually teams more experienced playing together know how to finish. They know how to fight and claw together as a team and pick eachother up until that final whistle. Who knows this team can definitely grow from losing those close battles early in season. U have to learn how to win those close games. Maybe it was good they had those early in season so now the end of season they find ways to win those games. Get into the tournament and most of those games are close grueling battles til the end. If they keep improving they can beat Princeton and UNC. Then maybe upset one of the 3 monsters ND, Virginia and Duke. Not sure this young team can do it agajnst ND or Virginia but if they do beat Princeton and UNC they will be on the bubble. Maybe they take down Duke in the final game to lock it up.
I really think everyone needs to take a step back and recognize that this team is 1) young 2) inexperienced at fogo and on defense and 3) has a head coach who hasn't coached a mens team before and 4) overall talent level is modest relative to the ACC. To expect these guys to win big games at this point is unrealistic IMO. I honestly think there is real potential and that potential will be realized next season if it happens.

I compare this situation to the 2021 team who was experienced and had high expectations but proved to have a weak D and the Scanlan soap opera. I think we were all disappointed and rightly so. I simply can't be disappointed in the 2023 team so far - the effort is there and they almost beat Duke in spite of being massively outshot. To expect them to win a game against the ACC teams later this season is unrealistic. I know it's hard for Cuse fans to deal with being in last place in the ACC but that is where we are until the team gains more experience and gets some help at fogo.

I have long admired your willingness to risk disappointment by starting each season with optimism. You respect each season's team by analyzing in depth the units and individuals regardless of the general consensus about the team's potential. On the other hand, I begin each season with protective skepticism as I did this year. So, I am not as bothered by the losses as you are because I enjoy watching the kids improve with each game loss or win. It's a copout I know; under this stuff I hate to lose as much as you do. There are chronic flaws in the SU lacrosse team. Everyone sees them. FOGO, gbs, ssdms, at least one long stick every year and until this year poor to mediocre goalkeeping. What is different this year is the team's fight; they do not give up when the other team scores a couple or three in a row. I think they are confident that they can score against anyone. This attitude will stand them in good stead next year when they may be able to compete with any D1 team. I am looking at the recruiting for the next two years because I believe SU needs to equal the ACC team's recruits at least. It is the consistency of UVA, Duke, Notre Dame, UNC recruiting that SU must emulate. There must be top subs in every class to beat these teams. One lost year puts SU at a disadvantage. Depth is very important. Not there this year. Anyway keep up the good fight P22 and all the other posters who live and die with the citrus.

At the very least you it seems like Gait is making a concerted effort to reach out and make alums feel included. Cercy, Robby Muligan, John Glatzel, Matt Alexander and Mike Leveille all are featured in the below video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom