Hop getting shredded | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hop getting shredded

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it’s not even a fraction of what it was when mainframe computing dominated the world and IBM had a 70% market share.

I don’t need a lot of help understanding the computer market over the past 40+ years. I lived it. When technological changes cause markets to disappear, few companies survive it. (IBM, Burroughs, Univac, Data General, Eastman Kodak, Xerox were once the Google, Apples and Facebooks of the day.
If you lived it you'd know how ridiculous that last statement is. Those hardware companies are nothing like the companies of today in how they led the market. Google and Facebook are software driven and Apple's desktop revenue is small. No one led the market in software in those days. You do need a lecture on the computer market. One colossal difference is how slowly the technology changed in IBM's heyday, as compared to how it changes today every day with a snap of the finger. So 70% market share was achievable then because the industry moved like a sloth.

If you lived it you'd know how ridiculous that last statement is. Those hardware companies are nothing like the companies of today in how they led the market. Google and Facebook are software driven and Apple's desktop revenue is small. No one led the market in software in those days. You do need a lecture on the computer market. One colossal difference is how slowly the technology changed in IBM's heyday, as compared to how it changes today every day with a snap of the finger. So 70% market share was achievable then because the industry moved like a sloth.
Rather than argue, let me say this. In my day in which I was a product and strategic planner for a major player, we were just as sure as you seem to be now of what was true and what were immutable facts.

Not one of all those super smart people was able to project the future or influence it.

Technology will change and obsolete companies just as it always has.

Rather than argue, let me say this. In my day in which I was a product and strategic planner for a major player, we were just as sure as you seem to be now of what was true and what were immutable facts.

Not one of all those super smart people was able to project the future or influence it.

Technology will change and obsolete companies just as it always has.
Lots of super smart people can project the future and influence it in today's market. Many saw the internet coming, many saw the cloud coming and many saw the emergence of companies banking their fortunes on software and services, including IBM, Microsoft, Amazon and Google. Stick to what you know. You sound like you're from the technology stone age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom