Hope this is JBs last year | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Hope this is JBs last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
After coach Boeheim we will become Indiana or Georgetown or Siena or OCC.

Be careful what you wish for folks!

Be careful comparing us to despised historical rivals.

Never mention Siena.

This reflects what I think of is the “SU Fan new coach fantasy”.

That’s the fantasy some have in their minds of a replacement riding in on a white stallion and bringing back the glory days. Money is no object, in this fantasy. Spotty records of ethical behavior will be ignored, if necessary.

Just put the Help Wanted sign out and all the top young coaches will line up to interview.

Delusional!
Matt Painter replaced a legend at Purdue.
He has kept them relevant nationally.
Tom Izzo replaced a legend at Michigan State he has brought them back.
Sean Miller came into Arizona and has kept them a power.

To think a legend can’t be replaced is just fantasy. What the hell aren’t we expecting the replacement for JB to be?
My god JB isn’t coach K.

This fanbase knows how it feels to miss the NCAAT. Hell we know how to miss the NCAAT in consecutive years we have done that under JB.

The next HC has a large shadow to fill because our current HC will be around.

Make no mistake JB is a legend and an alltime great but this fanbase isn’t expecting our team to be Kansas/Duke/North Carolina/Kentucky every year we are expecting to be actually be relevant during the regular season again. Something that hasn’t happened in 6 years.

Oh my god the horror. We are so spoiled.

You comparing the SU AD to the worst professional franchise in American sports ?

Yes, Yes he is. It's time to move on and find a new coach and head in a different direction.

We aren’t hiring Bob Wade. K and Roy are just about done. And the guy coaching Wofford last year just had his scrubs shoot us out of the Dome.

So there’s a chance
Did I hear he had four players on the roster when he took the job? Good thing they weren't under sanction. Those kill programs...

Let's go back to the Big East in basketball. We can go independent in football and play our traditional rivals -- UCONN, UMASS, Buffalo and Army -- every year. Let JB coach into his 90s if he wants. Perhaps name Gerry "coach-in-waiting."

Yeah, that's a winning formula.

The idea that we're going to be worse if/when/because JB leaves is silly.
1) He is going to leave, at some point. So, where we go from there is largely irrelevant in terms of how much you love JB. Fact is, we are where we are with JB, and it's doubtful he's going to get better in the few remaining years he has left.
2) We just lost to a bunch of teams with coaches i could not even name during the games i was watching. If those schlubs could beat us, with less legacy, fewer/worse resources and facilities, and probably less HS talent, i'm not sure what it would take for us to be better from a coaching standpoint.
3) Coaches don't tend to get better and better through the entirety of their careers. There's an arc. We're not at JB's peak.
4) If you're thinking we currently have a HoF coach, and replacing him means picking from a pool of dudes who are not likely to also reach the HoF, your thinking is flawed. The current HoF coach is not performing at HoF levels. We don't have to replace him at HoF levels in order to be better than we are now. The point isn't to compare an incoming coach with what JB accomplished over the sum of his career. Or even the average of his career. We have to have someone do better than what we are seeing from JB right now.

The story might be different if JB were 60 now. With all he has done, you probably give him leeway, imagining he would evolve during the next 15 years. But, he was already scheduled to retire. He will be retiring soon. There's no space for him to fix all that is wrong.

My only worry about JB retiring concerns how much of his 'residue' is left behind. Does the house need to be cleaned? I have a feeling that Hopkins winning Coach of the Year out west will inspire the admin to just fall back on another one of our own, expecting the same kind of 'success.'
Great post. The last paragraph gives me night sweats as I too see that as the way we go.

After coach Boeheim we will become Indiana or Georgetown or Siena or OCC.

Be careful what you wish for folks!
Based on what? If you hire the right guy it won't happen. Syracuse bball is a brand name.

Arguing about who the best player on Syracuse is is like arguing about who the Valedictorian of summer school should be.

It was the guy in the bathroom the whole time. He was right, the computer made an error.

06C30089-2FD7-418A-ACF0-B51102BB8B82.jpeg

*kid averages 50 ppg and scores more than 4,000 points in his HS career*

*can't play D1*

what?

Talking to most SU bball fans is like talking to a toddler. Everyone isn't worth the effort. He had offers from Duke and Michigan. The kid can play. He's frustrating to watch on the defensive end, but he has skill. That's my only post for the day.

Townie's love of JB is very similar to the kids in The Sandlot loving Babe Ruth. It's like irrational demigod status.
I respect Townies love and respect for Jim. I think that all of us appreciate and respect Jims accomplishments and what he means to SU and to Central NY. He is and will forever be the greatest coach in the history of SU Athletics.
Lets hope that JB and this team finish strong and that Jim either decides its time to retire or somehow finds the ability to shore up this roster with some talent to make one more run.
Regardless of what happens SU basketball will be back. We have the resources, the Brand, and the fan base to be great again and we will.

Boeheim can still coach but the team he has assembled is as weak an SU squad as I've seen in awhile and we have fallen into mediocrity the last several years. The adjustment to ACC basketball has not gone well and I put that on the recruiting, and yes that is on JB. This year's team is like the last several, there is no inside game that leads to easier baskets or kick outs to outside shooters. Tech played with a bunch of freshman and took apart our zone. At times it looks like we're the kamikaze kids trying to catch up with the ball movement of our opponents.

It’ll get worse.
So, if we are doomed when JB leaves regardless, why does it matter if it's at the end of this year or in 2 more years? Forced out or he retires? Doesn't make any sense. The team is awful, and not getting better.

When Boeheim leaves, Syracuse goes downhill. Enjoy the ride.

I hate to break it to you, but we are already going down hill and have been for a while. You’re wrong to assume that no one else can get us back to a top tier program. The guy in Washington comes to mind as one who could (and should of been given a chance to).

I respect Townies love and respect for Jim. I think that all of us appreciate and respect Jims accomplishments and what he means to SU and to Central NY. He is and will forever be the greatest coach in the history of SU Athletics.

Agreed. I mean the road up to the Dome should literally be renamed "Jim Boeheim Way" similar to how it's Cal Ripken Way outside Camden Yards, etc.

But the idea that we are guaranteed to get worse when JB leaves is just this weird sports Stockholm Syndrome mentality that is outside the confines of reasonable thought.

We need a center, and non-freshmen versions of JG3 and the Canadian

Problems are 70% defense and rebounding

It will get worse as long as Jim stays. He is in an extremely difficult situation. Recruiting isnt going to improve. Its not terrible but Jims days of landing top talent left when Hop left.
The program is in serious decline. Simply put its stale and its not going to improve. We have become irrelevant. Hopefully Jim recognizes the situation and steps down after the season.

I absolutely know I’m going to get flamed for this...

The current situation is Jim’s own damn fault and was caused 100% by his hubris. And he won’t leave this year. And he won’t leave next. Maybe he leaves when Buddy graduates, but there that’s not for certain. JW needs to get this under control and work a transition plan. It can’t be JB’s decision alone on when he retires. The University and the Program are bigger (and frankly more important) than his ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.