Hope this is JBs last year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hope this is JBs last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is SU football’s record for the last 20 years?

What about the Lacrosse teams record of Final Four appearances?

Pretty sure it’s the same leadership that you think will lead us out of the basketball wilderness.

Nancy Cantor and Gross are gone. They did their job attempting to kill football that’s for sure.

Everybody plays on National TV all the time these days.

Big crowds will dry up, like SU football.

SU success was based on the Big East, the ESPN showcasing of the Big East, and Boeheim. Take two of the three away, and you get what we have now. Take all three away and we’re BC.
Great BC best a team that was 25-0 and just beat the ref defending national champs

You comparing the SU AD to the worst professional franchise in American sports ?
Not to derail but you think that’s true? I’ve always heard he’s terrible but really the worst?

Brands fade quickly.

Are you familiar wi th SU lacrosse?
Why would you invoke SU lacrosse? It is exactly the opposite situation of what you seem to be lecturing everyone about. There has been no coaching change in years, yet the fortunes of the program have declined considerably.

Historically big time JB defenders (and rightfully so for a given time period) understand the current situation we have with the team yet is townie the only one correct on this entire matter and what will happen when James Boheem steps aside?

After coach Boeheim we will become Indiana or Georgetown or Siena or OCC.

Be careful what you wish for folks!

What is SU football’s record for the last 20 years?

What about the Lacrosse teams record of Final Four appearances?

Pretty sure it’s the same leadership that you think will lead us out of the basketball wilderness.

Wildhack has been here 20 years? Wow I had no idea

This reflects what I think of is the “SU Fan new coach fantasy”.

That’s the fantasy some have in their minds of a replacement riding in on a white stallion and bringing back the glory days. Money is no object, in this fantasy. Spotty records of ethical behavior will be ignored, if necessary.

Just put the Help Wanted sign out and all the top young coaches will line up to interview.

Delusional!

That's a pretty funny point for a JB sycophant to be making.

Historically big time JB defenders (and rightfully so for a given time period) understand the current situation we have with the team yet is townie the only one correct on this entire matter and what will happen when James Boheem steps aside?
Even if Townie is right, there’s no denying it is time for JB to go.
Not sure how bad it’ll get this year, but if we start next season w/ him and it’s the same scenario, then he absolutely HAS to go- even midseason if need be.

Everybody plays on National TV all the time these days.

Big crowds will dry up, like SU football.

SU success was based on the Big East, the ESPN showcasing of the Big East, and Boeheim. Take two of the three away, and you get what we have now. Take all three away and we’re BC.
ESPN is still showcasing the us in the ACC. And by the 90s, all the major conferences were on national TV and we still managed to be a top 10 Program for another 20-25 years. So not sure what the hell you're talking about. JB can’t get top 50 players anymore because he’s 75 years old and close to retirement. We need a young experienced head coach who can pull in top 50 players, like Hop, who will return in another couple years to right the ship.

He’s taking the very controversial position that sometimes a new coach isn’t as successful as the one he replaces. It’s like Nostradamus is posting here. I for one am convinced, Boeheim must coach until he’s 92. The alternative is far too risky to even consider.

Then why do some programs continue to excel?
Yeah, or can he explain how Seton Hall, who was a basement dweller for most of the Big East history, is in the top 25 this season and has made a couple of tourneys recently?

Syracuse was a Northeast power in the 70s before the Big East even existed.

Even if Townie is right, there’s no denying it is time for JB to go.
Not sure how bad it’ll get this year, but if we start next season w/ him and it’s the same scenario, then he absolutely HAS to go- even midseason if necessary.
He’s taking the very controversial position that sometimes a new coach isn’t as successful as the one he replaces. It’s like Nostradamus is posting here. I for one am convinced, Boeheim must coach until he’s 92. The alternative is far too risky to even consider.
It’s weird stuff.

Like Doc says, even if townie is right about this, that doesn’t make the decision for him to go, wrong. They are not really as related as he’s making them out to be.

Unless we re-hire Gerg.
I firmly believe we’ll have a number of great choices who wanna coach the Cuse. If Hop wants back in, you of course, hand him the keys- that’s best case scenario.
But if not, they’ll be coaches knocking on our door to take this job. Ironically, that’s even more likely if JB has a few horrible seasons in a row.
It’s always hard to replace a legend...unless said legend overstays his tenure and has to be coaxed out.

Like the once mighty Indiana?
Indiana was a top 25 program under Crean. They were the overall #1 seed against us in 2013 when we beat them in the sweet 16. Their fan base soured on him because he didn’t advance them far enough in the tourney and they also have crazy expectations (Kentucky like). Archie Miller is righting the ship and will have them back in the top 25.

I firmly believe we’ll have a number of great choices who wanna coach the Cuse. If Hop wants back in, you of course, hand him the keys- that’s best case scenario.
But if not, they’ll be coaches knocking on our door to take this job. Ironically, that’s even more likely if JB has a few horrible seasons in a row.
It’s always hard to replace a legend...unless said legend overstays his tenure and has to be coaxed out.

Of course we'll have great choices. The Townie tape loop has been running for years but never did, and certainly does not now, deserve to be taken seriously.

The idea that we're going to be worse if/when/because JB leaves is silly.
1) He is going to leave, at some point. So, where we go from there is largely irrelevant in terms of how much you love JB. Fact is, we are where we are with JB, and it's doubtful he's going to get better in the few remaining years he has left.
2) We just lost to a bunch of teams with coaches i could not even name during the games i was watching. If those schlubs could beat us, with less legacy, fewer/worse resources and facilities, and probably less HS talent, i'm not sure what it would take for us to be better from a coaching standpoint.
3) Coaches don't tend to get better and better through the entirety of their careers. There's an arc. We're not at JB's peak.
4) If you're thinking we currently have a HoF coach, and replacing him means picking from a pool of dudes who are not likely to also reach the HoF, your thinking is flawed. The current HoF coach is not performing at HoF levels. We don't have to replace him at HoF levels in order to be better than we are now. The point isn't to compare an incoming coach with what JB accomplished over the sum of his career. Or even the average of his career. We have to have someone do better than what we are seeing from JB right now.

The story might be different if JB were 60 now. With all he has done, you probably give him leeway, imagining he would evolve during the next 15 years. But, he was already scheduled to retire. He will be retiring soon. There's no space for him to fix all that is wrong.

My only worry about JB retiring concerns how much of his 'residue' is left behind. Does the house need to be cleaned? I have a feeling that Hopkins winning Coach of the Year out west will inspire the admin to just fall back on another one of our own, expecting the same kind of 'success.'

But wait how didn’t Purdue spiral into disaster after Keady like what is going to happen to us after Boeheim according to Townie. Cause you know a good coach can never be hired as a replacement.
Omg, That’s EXACTLY my point. Purdue is a perfect correlation to SU. They’re a basketball school and basketball brand with a rabid fan base. They had a legendary beloved coach (Keady) who stayed past his prime when he couldn’t land the same highly ranked recruits anymore. They kept the job in the Purdue family (like SU will with Hop) and Matt Painter got things rolling again pretty quickly. He landed 3-4 top 100 kids in his 1st class. Heck, they’ve been more consistent than Indiana over the past decade. Michigan State with Izzo taking over for Heathcoat is also similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.