Hopkins Gameday... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Gameday...

Question: is this experiment worth the price tag we are paying for Gait? (Assuming it’s the same or more than he was paid to be womens coach) or could we equally have benefitted taking a chance on a guy like Galloway who would have come at a much cheaper price tag and likely coached these guys harder. Hard to argue he isn’t doing more with less right now..
Do I think Galloway is a great young coach? Yes. Do I think that our results this year with this group of guys look different if he came in and ran things? No. He would be going through similar growing pains getting acclimated with a new squad, and the bonehead mistakes or one dimensional plays some of our starters are prone to making would certainly not vanish into thin air. Even a home run hire (if they also chose to not pound the portal in year 1) would most likely produce similar results in these early stages. Tiffany’s start at UVA was not so different. Milliman struggled for most of the 2021 season with Hop. It has taken Galloway years to get Jacksonville to this point and they still lost 16-10 to a struggling Utah squad in its 3rd year as a program last week.

Just a dreadful performance from the offense today. Pipes obviously played a big part but man there were so so many other bad decisions, bad shots bad passes and bad turnovers. I don’t like signaling out individual players but that was the worst I’ve seen Dordevic play. He has to be frustrated by the way he’s being utilized. I get tired just watching he and Curry run around trying to do everything themselves. There just has to be something else the coaches can try. I’m shocked they’ve been trying the same strategy all season long, which is essentially run their top two players into the ground every game. How are they going to even be standing by the end of the season? This is not a long term strategy. Hopefully today was a wake up call but I fear they will just double down. In his pregame press conference Gait did seem to imply that the players on this years team weren’t up to snuff and that next years will be better. He clearly must think it’s a talent issue but man it seems like they could be doing more with the talent they do have. Those last five minutes today were unwatchable.

Last year when the team struggled I thought, “well at least this might push them to make a change”. Now there’s no upside in seeing them struggle and definitely no draft pick that gives this team a silver lining. Hopefully something will change but this feels like a lost season.
Yup. For those saying this is a rebuild year, it is next year that will in-fact be a true rebuild year as the team will lose a lot of multi-year starters. Potentially two of three starting attackmen, two of the starting midfielders, the only FOGO who has taken meaningful draws this year, and two of three starting defensemen. That is a lot. Especially when you consider that Dordevic and Curry are accounting for an absurd (not in a good way) 54% of the point production right now.

UNC brought in something like seven five star recruits, a lot of people thought they would get a ton of playing time. I think maybe two have seen significant minutes this year. I think the freshmen will see a lot of playing time next year for 'Cuse, and I'm really excited to see them play, but I also think there will be a lot of struggles, and if the schedule stays the same, another disapoining season when it comes to wins and losses.
I am curious to see how posters consider Gait's blaming losses on the quality of the players. I wonder how the players hear it. Adversity like this requires supporting the players not denigrating them. Evading responsibility like Gait is doing leaves me cold.

I am curious to see how posters consider Gait's blaming losses on the quality of the players. I wonder how the players hear it. Adversity like this requires supporting the players not denigrating them. Evading responsibility like Gait is doing leaves me cold.
Doesn't resonate with me either, its one thing to think that your players aren't high quality, but its another thing to make it public. Gee, I wonder how my students would feel if I said publicly that they are all duds.

I'm a Gait supporter and I believe rebuilding a new system takes a minimum 2 - 3 years. In Gait's defense, he does speak to the lack of execution. So, the question is will the execution improve towards the end of the season? I think the stats from yesterday EMOs, GBs, FOs, TOs were an improvement from eariler games. I'm seeing signs of improvement. The 8 pipes was the difference between winning and losing.

Agree. It's weak

Especially for a guy who does no coaching on gamedays. The players stink, he's not saying or doing anything on the sidelines. I don't like the vibes he's giving off. Everyone knows the players aren't elite, he doesn't need to call attention to it. Not saying this will happen but it can be a recipe for a locker room turning on you.

In his pregame press conference Gait did seem to imply that the players on this years team weren’t up to snuff and that next years will be better.
Not seeing any quote like that in this video. Was it from a different conference? I believe you I am just curious what the exact quotes were.

Not seeing any quote like that in this video. Was it from a different conference? I believe you I am just curious what the exact quotes were.

It starts at the one minute mark. The full question from the reporter is hard to make out, and Gait is speaking pretty low and there are other background noises but you can make it out. Upon listening to him again, I think his answer is a little more defensible but not by much. I should have provided the full context to the question he was answering. I do not have a Newhouse degree so bear with me.

Reporter asks "is what Hopkins and Syracuse use to be, attainable despite the fact that lacrosse is not a headcount sport".

Gait - "Absolutely, Syracuse lacrosse is invested in brining the program back to where it needs to be. We're providing everything we need to have success. Now it's just up to us to do our job recruiting. I think you'll start the see the results next year. We have players coming in that will help us get us back to where we need to be."

I think coaches who are struggling on the field always have a hard time in these types of press conferences. We all got tired of Desko "tipping his cap" to the other team. After the first couple of losses this season Gait kept hammering execution. That got a bit tiring after the UVA loss. I don't think he's wrong in his answer, we are all saying the same on this board, but it seemed like an "own goal" he could have avoided by leaving out the italicized sentence. I think he was just trying to say, "we are getting SU back to old days, and you'll see that when we get the number one recruiting class come to campus." But what gets implied is that it's not these guys on the team right now that are going to do it.

It starts at the one minute mark. The full question from the reporter is hard to make out, and Gait is speaking pretty low and there are other background noises but you can make it out. Upon listening to him again, I think his answer is a little more defensible but not by much. I should have provided the full context to the question he was answering. I do not have a Newhouse degree so bear with me.

Reporter asks "is what Hopkins and Syracuse use to be, attainable despite the fact that lacrosse is not a headcount sport".

Gait - "Absolutely, Syracuse lacrosse is invested in brining the program back to where it needs to be. We're providing everything we need to have success. Now it's just up to us to do our job recruiting. I think you'll start the see the results next year. We have players coming in that will help us get us back to where we need to be."

I think coaches who are struggling on the field always have a hard time in these types of press conferences. We all got tired of Desko "tipping his cap" to the other team. After the first couple of losses this season Gait kept hammering execution. That got a bit tiring after the UVA loss. I don't think he's wrong in his answer, we are all saying the same on this board, but it seemed like an "own goal" he could have avoided by leaving out the italicized sentence. I think he was just trying to say, "we are getting SU back to old days, and you'll see that when we get the number one recruiting class come to campus." But what gets implied is that it's not these guys on the team right now that are going to do it.
Thank you. I did not really here the question either so did not pick up on the comment. Think it is at least better that it is more in the implication, rather than him saying anything that directly throws the players under the bus. The question was about SU big picture getting back to days of old so it lead to him talking like that, rather than him bringing it up on his own. Think he should show more tact/realize the implication of that statement, but for me this is lower on the list of concerns. Also I have seen him in the huddle with March lecturing the offense, both on TV and live at the Hobart game.

Maybe it’s because I have to endure boeheim pressers, but nothing in this post game presser from Gait could be interpreted as him calling attention to the players not being elite enough or anything like that. Points to specifics like shooting and transition D. Does he put blame on himself personally? No, and if the O continues to look lost scheme-wise then perhaps he should, but he is at least not saying any sort of “we are just not talented enough” comment like you would here from our darling bball coach. There seems to be a slight false narrative brewing for how he talks about the team. Still feel like our criticism should be focused on his coaching decisions, and there is plenty to talk about there.

Maybe it’s because I have to endure boeheim pressers, but nothing in this post game presser from Gait could be interpreted as him calling attention to the players not being elite enough or anything like that. Points to specifics like shooting and transition D. Does he put blame on himself personally? No, and if the O continues to look lost scheme-wise then perhaps he should, but he is at least not saying any sort of “we are just not talented enough” comment like you would here from our darling bball coach. There seems to be a slight false narrative brewing for how he talks about the team. Still feel like our criticism should be focused on his coaching decisions, and there is plenty to talk about there.

Tucker’s look in the thumbnail says it all. Feel bad for him. Feel bad for the team.

Just watched the presser. The idea that Syracuse outplayed Hopkins is how this team will continue to learn nothing and keep losing. They didn't. Yes, they were unlucky to hit a bunch of pipes, but they also scored 2 EMO goals (one of which was made a 6 on 4 because a Hopkins player stupidly talked back to the ref) and Dordevic's second goal was a total fluke. Meaning they scored a whopping FOUR real 6v6 goals despite winning 2/3s faceoffs. That's not going to get it done against anyone.

I also don't understand why he kept saying he thought the defense played well. 10 goals looks great on paper until you realize Hopkins didn't have very many possessions and were actually quite efficient on offense. Hop's very first goal of the game: Pole slides off Epstein on the crease to TRIPLE TEAM Angelus, leaving Epstein wide open on the doorstep for an easy dunk. Creating offense for the other team. That happened again later, Epstein is dodging a mile from the goal, in no threat to score, and a defenseman slides to him, leaving Angelus untouched on the wing for a time and room rip. Or how about another pointless slide to Keogh dodging down the alley, leaving Degnon untouched in the middle. Or Peshko easily waltzing by a shortie with no slide ready. Giving up 10 goals sounds ok but when you break it down, Cuse did not play particularly well. And still, the D did better than the O, which was nonexistent minus Dordevic beating his man once or twice.

Just watched the presser. The idea that Syracuse outplayed Hopkins is how this team will continue to learn nothing and keep losing. They didn't. Yes, they were unlucky to hit a bunch of pipes, but they also scored 2 EMO goals (one of which was made a 6 on 4 because a Hopkins player stupidly talked back to the ref) and Dordevic's second goal was a total fluke. Meaning they scored a whopping FOUR real 6v6 goals despite winning 2/3s faceoffs. That's not going to get it done against anyone.

I also don't understand why he kept saying he thought the defense played well. 10 goals looks great on paper until you realize Hopkins didn't have very many possessions and were actually quite efficient on offense. Hop's very first goal of the game: Pole slides off Epstein on the crease to TRIPLE TEAM Angelus, leaving Epstein wide open on the doorstep for an easy dunk. Creating offense for the other team. That happened again later, Epstein is dodging a mile from the goal, in no threat to score, and a defenseman slides to him, leaving Angelus untouched on the wing for a time and room rip. Or how about another pointless slide to Keogh dodging down the alley, leaving Degnon untouched in the middle. Or Peshko easily waltzing by a shortie with no slide ready. Giving up 10 goals sounds ok but when you break it down, Cuse did not play particularly well. And still, the D did better than the O, which was nonexistent minus Dordevic beating his man once or twice.

I mean, they won pretty much every statistical category you could have, except for saves. I would say they very clearly outplayed Hopkins and it’s not so controversial to say so. Why didn’t the Hopkins offense have much of the ball? Because Syracuse was busy winning faceoffs, groundballs and causing turnovers. The defense didn’t play well but graded on a curve they showed bright spots. At some point Gait as to throw some positivity out there.

End of the day I don’t think Syracuse or Hopkins fans should feel very good about their team, and I’d be very surprised if either team made the playoffs. I think you are a Hopkins fan (apologies if not, I don’t think you’ve ever said) but for your sake I wouldn’t read to much into this win. Hope that I am wrong (for the sake of the Orange of course).

I mean, they won pretty much every statistical category you could have, except for saves. I would say they very clearly outplayed Hopkins and it’s not so controversial to say so. Why didn’t the Hopkins offense have much of the ball? Because Syracuse was busy winning faceoffs, groundballs and causing turnovers. The defense didn’t play well but graded on a curve they showed bright spots. At some point Gait as to throw some positivity out there.

End of the day I don’t think Syracuse or Hopkins fans should feel very good about their team, and I’d be very surprised if either team made the playoffs. I think you are a Hopkins fan (apologies if not, I don’t think you’ve ever said) but for your sake I wouldn’t read to much into this win. Hope that I am wrong (for the sake of the Orange of course).

Heh, not a Hopkins fan, though my wife is a graduate so I try to follow the program. I am, tragically, a Hofstra fan.

Positivity is fine but I'm worried he actually thinks the defense played well, which is not going to help them improve. I bet Petro has a different outlook.

Winning stat categories is fine but I don't think that means they outplayed the other team. There are also some key stats that the Orange did NOT win:

- Off. efficiency: Hop 31%, Cuse 17%
- Shooting: Hop 34%, Cuse 13%
- Non-faceoff GBs were dead even

You can't win when you shoot 13%. Almost doesn't matter about any other stat or how sloppy the other team is clearing the ball. Hopkins shot better, valued possessions more, played stronger D and got better goaltending. In the end those were the difference. If you can find me a team that has ever won a game shooting 13% then I'll zip it.

Heh, not a Hopkins fan, though my wife is a graduate so I try to follow the program. I am, tragically, a Hofstra fan.

Positivity is fine but I'm worried he actually thinks the defense played well, which is not going to help them improve. I bet Petro has a different outlook.

Winning stat categories is fine but I don't think that means they outplayed the other team. There are also some key stats that the Orange did NOT win:

- Off. efficiency: Hop 31%, Cuse 17%
- Shooting: Hop 34%, Cuse 13%
- Non-faceoff GBs were dead even

You can't win when you shoot 13%. Almost doesn't matter about any other stat or how sloppy the other team is clearing the ball. Hopkins shot better, valued possessions more, played stronger D and got better goaltending. In the end those were the difference. If you can find me a team that has ever won a game shooting 13% then I'll zip it.
We have had some issues with non cuse fans coming over here who basically do nothing but trash every aspect of the program in a biased sort of way. I don’t think that is you as you back up your points well and there is indeed plenty to criticize, but a few infamous posters on here have given us trust issues with non cuse fans.

Still time to turn things around. Good thing is Duke doesn’t seem to be as strong this year. Need to take it week by week but the season is far from over. As for yesterdays game, I think if you look at our offense, it was horrible but one thing that needs to be looked at is curry playing too much. His game is based on speed, with him being out there every offensive set, is this affecting him? The shots will fall eventually but we need to start looking to pass out of doubles

Need the other guys to step up.

Phaup has been playing well, can’t ask for more out of him.

Idk how you can say the defense didn’t play well.
Desimone was held scoreless??

A lot of their goals can in transition and on Syracuse messing up subbing, that’s on the coaches

Still time to turn things around. Good thing is Duke doesn’t seem to be as strong this year. Need to take it week by week but the season is far from over. As for yesterdays game, I think if you look at our offense, it was horrible but one thing that needs to be looked at is curry playing too much. His game is based on speed, with him being out there every offensive set, is this affecting him? The shots will fall eventually but we need to start looking to pass out of doubles

Need the other guys to step up.

Phaup has been playing well, can’t ask for more out of him.

A lot of their goals can in transition and on Syracuse messing up subbing, that’s on the coaches
Agree on Curry. I think he is playing too much which also impacts his shooting. We need to rotate in Corsi, Cordis, Tenaglia, and others more often.

Also not a fan of the Curry speed dodge to start each possession either. I would love to see another mid start a possession and set some off ball picks to free Curry up.

We have had some issues with non cuse fans coming over here who basically do nothing but trash every aspect of the program in a biased sort of way. I don’t think that is you as you back up your points well and there is indeed plenty to criticize, but a few infamous posters on here have given us trust issues with non cuse fans.

No worries, and yes lacrosse on the internet is often toxic. I amusingly read Fan Lax and Twitter but do not post on either platform. The discussion here for the most part is not as horrible.

Desimone was not part of the gameplan. He tested Kennedy once, Kennedy turned him away, and he did not run at him again before or after that. Why would you go at the other team's best defenseman when they were happy to create offense for you with overzealous slides? Desimone has been very quiet of late for Hopkins, he hasn't played that well and from what I've seen of them before the game against Syracuse they have been running the offense through their middies Keough and Angelus.

well done. exactly!

Agreed but he tried a few times, either way pretty good to have that

What do u think of moving curry to attack btw

No worries, and yes lacrosse on the internet is often toxic. I amusingly read Fan Lax and Twitter but do not post on either platform. The discussion here for the most part is not as horrible.

Desimone was not part of the gameplan. He tested Kennedy once, Kennedy turned him away, and he did not run at him again before or after that. Why would you go at the other team's best defenseman when they were happy to create offense for you with overzealous slides? Desimone has been very quiet of late for Hopkins, he hasn't played that well and from what I've seen of them before the game against Syracuse they have been running the offense through their middies Keough and Angelus.
Not exactly true on attempted dodges. Rewatched game and there were at least four attempts which were all easily thwarted before he gave that idea up. Epstein on the other hand is playing much differently than his frosh year, dont know if by design or if his past injury altered but not the same player despite the five pts. What is the story with Grimes? The other players mentioned seem to get overlooked but certainly part of the equation.

Bigman cuse, I earlier floated the idea of Curry to attack once again. Understand wanting him on the field as much as possible but he rundowns as mid. Most capable passer on team off dodges and give opportunity to some others at mid so Id be in favor of that experiment.

Not exactly true on attempted dodges. Rewatched game and there were at least four attempts which were all easily thwarted before he gave that idea up. Epstein on the other hand is playing much differently than his frosh year, dont know if by design or if his past injury altered but not the same player despite the five pts. What is the story with Grimes? The other players mentioned seem to get overlooked but certainly part of the equation.

Bigman cuse, I earlier floated the idea of Curry to attack once again. Understand wanting him on the field as much as possible but he rundowns as mid. Most capable passer on team off dodges and give opportunity to some others at mid so Id be in favor of that experiment.

Grimes broke his wrist, he's out indefinitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom