Hopkins loses another assistant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins loses another assistant

The UW fans are not going to be happy campers with the loss of their best recruiting class and an upcoming disastrous season compared to their expectations. Our posters wonder how Romar was able to recruit given his under-performance. Romar was plugged into the region with a lifetime of connections to coaches and summer leagues. Mike's connections are not in the Pacific NW. I surmise that Mike underestimated big time what he is walking into. This whole thing is bad news for both UW and the Cuse. Bayside's post is tongue in cheek, but it is really the best move that Mike could make in regards to both schools and himself.

Eh, their team is coming off a 9-23 season and hasn't been good in over 5 years. They can calm down and give the guy some time to fix their train wreck, traditional loser program.

The UW fans are not going to be happy campers with the loss of their best recruiting class and an upcoming disastrous season compared to their expectations. Our posters wonder how Romar was able to recruit given his under-performance. Romar was plugged into the region with a lifetime of connections to coaches and summer leagues. Mike's connections are not in the Pacific NW. I surmise that Mike underestimated big time what he is walking into. This whole thing is bad news for both UW and the Cuse. Bayside's post is tongue in cheek, but it is really the best move that Mike could make in regards to both schools and himself.
UW fans have no expectations for next year or really the year after that. They are talking about getting good effort and playing defense and letting Hop establish his program. The lost 22 games last year. People here question if Roman could have been at 500 with that recruiting class.

UW fans don't have an issue with losing all their players, in the sense, they knew it was coming with the firing of Romar.

UW fans rightfully seem a little on edge with the fact two guys with strong ties to Hop didn't come along with him and he ends up hiring Cameron Dollar.
No UW fans I know or anyone on sports is thinking or talking this way. Where are you getting your information? I'm a UW football season ticket holder and I have asked the other 8 people I have tickets with their thoughts. They have no expectations for the next 2 years.

Two years from now he will be trying to dig himself out of a hole but it is too late to turn back.

No UW fans I know or anyone on sports is thinking or talking this way. Where are you getting your information? I'm a UW football season ticket holder and I have asked the other 8 people I have tickets with their thoughts. They have no expectations for the next 2 years.
One of their message boards I checked out. I periodically read them to see how they are feeling about the Hop hire and his staff assembly/recruiting.

Wow Hop off to a rough start. I'm surprised these two said no, they must not have heard that Washington is a great job, a sleeping giant, with unlimited resources and in the best city on the planet. What were they thinking?

Wow Hop off to a rough start. I'm surprised these two said no, they must not have heard that Washington is a great job, a sleeping giant, with unlimited resources and in the best city on the planet. What were they thinking?

Great hiking and scenery!!

Hop is having some trouble. Can't get an assistant coach and that recruiting class has fallen apart. Down to just Fultz and a 2 star guy.

The Hart and O'Toole decisions were absolutely unexpected. Both would have been on Hop's SU staff without a doubt.
gonzaga makes the F4 and his top 2 coaches go...ehh, the northwest, at a crappy program doesn't sound like a good idea.

Might take 10 years...

And pass.

He had $1.3m for assistants? That's not a ton of cash and USC and Cal aren't exactly poor little D2 schools. Disappointing for Hop for sure, but not the end of the world.

The Hart and O'Toole decisions were absolutely unexpected. Both would have been on Hop's SU staff without a doubt.

Really meant more the players leaving. He will get a good staff in regardless. Romar was a well liked guy - there will be a transition period, but he's up for the challenge.

How the hell did he pull that recruiting class coming off 9-23 and 6 years without dancing?
Agree. And how did he go 9-23 with the consensus #1 or 2 pick this year?

Are coaches allowed to contact recruits at are they are fired? What's to stop a fired coach from telling a kid to re open his recruitment after he gets fired? Aside from common decency, of course, if it exists at all in the world of recruiting.

UW fans don't have an issue with losing all their players, in the sense, they knew it was coming with the firing of Romar.

UW fans rightfully seem a little on edge with the fact two guys with strong ties to Hop didn't come along with him and he ends up hiring Cameron Dollar.

I get Romar underachieved, but he pulled in the best class in their history and their administration threw that away. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

Everyone knows that a coaching change may well imperil incoming recruits. In this case, UW had a very exceptional class lined up. Romar pulled it off because he is well liked in the coaching community and well connected. Except for the Romar haters, and there are many, Hop will be compared to what might have been if Romar stayed. Perhaps I am thinking of Pitt. They wanted good riddance to slick hair but now that they are lacking in enough good recruits to form a complete team and are basement dwellers, things could get unpleasant. Pitt board has been in turmoil all year. Baring some miracle, UW will be next years basement dweller. The I do not expect UW fans to bail after one year, but they will start to peel off after a couple of years. I wish Hop luck because he does not have as easy a path as the 6 year contract suggests.

Everyone knows that a coaching change may well imperil incoming recruits. In this case, UW had a very exceptional class lined up. Romar pulled it off because he is well liked in the coaching community and well connected. Except for the Romar haters, and there are many, Hop will be compared to what might have been if Romar stayed. Perhaps I am thinking of Pitt. They wanted good riddance to slick hair but now that they are lacking in enough good recruits to form a complete team and are basement dwellers, things could get unpleasant. Pitt board has been in turmoil all year. Baring some miracle, UW will be next years basement dweller. The I do not expect UW fans to bail after one year, but they will start to peel off after a couple of years. I wish Hop luck because he does not have as easy a path as the 6 year contract suggests.
Next year they will be in the basement? They won 2 conference games this last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom