Hopkins loses another assistant | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins loses another assistant

What? Explain. Go ahead and try. Paying your dues isnt sitting next to a head coaching icon for 20 years waiting for the job to be handed to you. And now, as he breaks out, the coaching fraternity is echoing my sentiments. Your thoughts.
Tool/Toole. Get it?

771284821130391473.jpg

Let's hire Cooney to replace Hopkins while your at it.

If GMac is the HC in 2-3 years. This place will go nuclear.

Lol funny. I read an article recently where Cooney said he wants to get into coaching once he plays professionally for a few years and he said he hoped he got his shot at Syracuse.

Who is a tool? Why would anyone leave solid D1 positions to go into the unknown with Hop. A guy, that was handed a power 5, pac 12 job without ever being a head coach at any level in college. Plenty of skepticism and for good reason. I for one, am happy we will launch an appropriate HC search when JB leaves. Yes, Hop kinda got jerked around with the whole CIW situation, yes, BS. That said, he was handed a job coaches work decades for.

Right. He was "handed" his first head coach job. But when others get their first head coach job they "worked" for it. Makes sense.

What? Explain. Go ahead and try. Paying your dues isnt sitting next to a head coaching icon for 20 years waiting for the job to be handed to you. And now, as he breaks out, the coaching fraternity is echoing my sentiments. Your thoughts.
[/QUOTE]
The guys last name is o'toole. Seriously. Are you for real.

Right. He was "handed" his first head coach job. But when others get their first head coach job they "worked" for it. Makes sense.

Name another coach given a HC position as Hop did.

That comment by Hart was said tongue in cheek. I remember it going something like this. Otis Hill said, "Kueth I don't know why Boeheim was so hard on you. I'm going to press him about that the next time I see him. We don't have to be scared of him no more. We grown now." Everyone laughed and Hart said, "I got a few things I'm going to say to him the next time I see him." People still laughing.

The idea that Hart has a problem with Boeheim with the amount of interviews that he has done calling Syracuse family I find kind of funny.
Thanks for this. It always pains me that a former player might be unhappy with Coach B, past or present.

771284821130391473.jpg

Let's hire Cooney to replace Hopkins while your at it.

If GMac is the HC in 2-3 years. This place will go nuclear.
I thought Cooney was already on the staff as a strength and conditioning coach but I'm wrong. He's on the staff of the Long Island Nets, presumably a D-league club, per his Twitter account.

So yeah, maybe Trevor will be available as an assistant of some sort after a year or two there.

Jim Boeheim (Syracuse). As I see it the list should be every guy who was an assistant and then got a head job. It's s pretty long list.

I was excluding people who were elevated to head coach after being an assistant at that school: i.e. Izzo, Boeheim, Esherick, Pat Knight, Gard, Few, etc...

I thought Cooney was already on the staff as a strength and conditioning coach but I'm wrong. He's on the staff of the Long Island Nets, presumably a D-league club, per his Twitter account.

So yeah, maybe Trevor will be available as an assistant of some sort after a year or two there.
He's playing for the Long Island Nets. Brandon Triche is also playing in the D-League this season.

TC: NBA D-League Stats

BT: NBA D-League Stats

He's playing for the Long Island Nets. Brandon Triche is also playing in the D-League this season.

TC: NBA D-League Stats

BT: NBA D-League Stats
Thank you for the correction.

Player makes a heckuva lot more sense than an assistant coach given Trevor's age.

Also Triche's stats are more impressive but he has a year or so more in the D league so it makes sense. They are both listed as 6'4" so presumably are PGs more than SGs, and of course are more accustomed to the zone rather than M2M, but JB always emphasizes that SU players play plenty of M2M in practice because it's what they usually play AGAINST, so it's not a foreign concept to a seasoned veteran SU player like they both were.

What stands out as good for both is that their FT averages are decent, I think 71 percent for Cooney and a bit higher for Triche. More importantly, both are getting a lot of REBOUNDS for their position, especially defensive ones. That their assist totals are pretty low for presumably PGs is ok because at 6'4" each might be perceived as a combo guard. The shooting percentages for Cooney - it's almost too soon to tell but it's not trending good. For Triche, his shooting percentages are substantially better as they ought to be with an extra year's experience.

At the moment I call it a wash for head to head. However I don't really see either as obvious NBA material, but neither can be ruled out yet.

And there's always overseas leagues if the NBA doesn't seem feasible for either or both. The upside there is the travel. Which is also the downside for a player with a child or two. I think Trevor has a kid and Brandon doesn't but correct me if I'm mistaken!

Last edited:
Name another coach given a HC position as Hop did.

Would be nice if you followed basketball more closely or at least researched before making such an incorrect declarative statement. I know there are more but here's just a smattering.

Wyking Jones-Cal
Kevin Ollie - UConn
Chris Mullin- St John's
Tom Izzo-Mich St
Roy Williams - Kansas
Jim Boeheim - SU
Johnny Dawkins - Stanford
Tommy Amaker - Seton Hall
Mark Few -Gonzaga
Chris Mack - Xavier
Frank Martin - Kansas St
Chris Collins - Northwestern
Steve Wojciechowski - Marquette
Steve Fisher - Michigan
Rick Majerus - Marquette

Brandon has played extensively (and well) in Italy in past seasons, but decided to play in the D-League this year after missing a year with an ACL injury. He has played pretty well off the bench for two teams this season and has had some very nice games along the way. I would imagine he will explore his options abroad again, as the D-League money is not much for a guy without an NBA contract, and it's unlikely NBA teams will have interest in him at this point.

This is Trevor's first season out of college and he's really only seen limited minutes in the D-League. I'm not sure what the future holds for him, but he probably will want to pursue his playing options a while longer before going into coaching. I don't believe he has a child, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
Hop will sign some local Seattle HS coach or maybe a Portland St. Seattle U. assistant, someone connected with the local scene. then he'll leverage his McKnight contact to hire someone from SoCal. He won't recruit like Romar but he'll be a better coach & he'll do just fine

here's the way it's gonna go: in a year or 2, Red is going to be offered a HC gig and is going to take it. Gerry will move up to 1st chair.

and when JB retires 2-3 years after that, GMac takes over.

learn it, live it, love it.

I'm enjoying the Return of Moqui, no doubt about it.

That scenario (or the trolling, can't decide which), not so much.

Lol funny. I read an article recently where Cooney said he wants to get into coaching once he plays professionally for a few years and he said he hoped he got his shot at Syracuse.

Ugh, that reminds me of all the posts wishing Gbinije and Cooney well near the end of last season. People thought that Mike would be a good pro and Cooney was bound to go into coaching. Because that's the natural progression for the under-talented but hard-working (white) fan favorite, despite the fact that he's inarticulate and displayed shaky hoops IQ over the course of a career.

...despite the fact that he's inarticulate and displayed shaky hoops IQ over the course of a career.

Newsflash: He wouldn't be the only inarticulate coach with a shaky hoops IQ out there.

Just dont have him work on shooting:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom