How about classic SU games watching during | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

How about classic SU games watching during

Cuse beating Iverson in the Dome.
1996 Georgetown at Syracuse.

Woooow. Was at that one!! My brother and I even ventured back into the locker room area as if we owned the place, afterwards. Got Wallace’s autograph outside the Dome. I had a Jr. High b-ball game that morning and then we went straight to the Dome and got in there right before the game started. Walking in there and seeing 32,000+ already rocking was quite the rush.

Whoever morvil11 is on YouTube just added a bunch of 80s and 90s SU games including games against Michigan, the Kentucky game from 1994 and the Alabama game from 1996 that I was asking about. Whoever morbil11 is THANK YOU!
One of the great games in there is the 1988 Preseason NIT game vs Indiana. Syracuse got revenge for the 1987 Title game by crushing Indiana. Worth watching for the defeated look on Bobby Knight's face. That's the game where Sherman D had the through-the-legs-pass for a layup, IIRC.

One of the great games in there is the 1988 Preseason NIT game vs Indiana. Syracuse got revenge for the 1987 Title game by crushing Indiana. Worth watching for the defeated look on Bobby Knight's face. That's the game where Sherman D had the through-the-legs-pass for a layup, IIRC.

that game convinced me that we were winning the title that year, we were an absolute machine that night. Oh, yeah,I was wrong about us winning the title

I just finished the 1996 Final Four game against Mississippi State at the Meadowlands.

Boy, that team had an athletic front court, and great, great interior passing. That's what our offense used to look like. Only Wallace was a 5 star, but Otis and Burgan were athletic and rebounded really well.

Not a ton of outside shooting on that team, but just enough. Even though they were "big, slow guys", Z Sims and Cipolla cheated down to the foul line, but had very good lateral quickness, Guys did not get past them on the drive very often.

What was the talent level on that team? Wallace - 5 star, Burgan, Hill and Cipolla (before his transfer) were all 4 star players, and the rest - Reafsnyder, Z Sims and Janulis were all 3 star, role playing guys. Reafsnyder had a bit of a nasty streak on defense, and was our best "Stetch 5" probably up to that point in time (or was it Sean Kerins?).

Boy, that was a lot of fun. Here's a link. All commercials taken out. Thanks to the Post-Standard.

i was at this game, MSG, me and a few alum buddies
We had a guy from work who came with us and I remember sitting behind a row of IU fans. My work friend was absolutely brutal to those IU fans as we demolished their team.
Felt good beating those guys that night but nothing, and i mean NOTHING, will ever lessen the sting of Keith Smart. Hurts to this day. -sigh-

i was at this game, MSG, me and a few alum buddies
We had a guy from work who came with us and I remember sitting behind a row of IU fans. My work friend was absolutely brutal to those IU fans as we demolished their team.
Felt good beating those guys that night but nothing, and i mean NOTHING, will ever lessen the sting of Keith Smart. Hurts to this day. -sigh-

Ain't it the truth. The 1987 NC game was the first time SU-IU ever played. Since then, we're 5-0. When we beat them, it was always in big games (NIT Pre-season, 2 Maui finals, ACC-B10), with none bigger than the 2013 Sweet 16 upset. Each felt fabulous at the time, but I still think about the '87 loss way more than any of them.

In 2003, sometime after SU won the title, the '87 Final came on ESPN Classic and I decided to watch it, thinking the pain would surely have receded. I ended up screaming at the TV over ref calls and missed opportunities. My wife thought I was insane. Syracuse was the reigning national champions and she couldn't understand why I was blowing up about a loss from 16 years earlier. That's when I knew that particular pain was forever.

1986-87 was the first year of the three-point shot. It's impossible to say how the NCAA season would have unfolded without it. All I figure, if there was no 3-point shot in the '87 Final, SU would've won.

My buddy just texted me that YouTube blocked the Oklahoma State game! Seriously YouTube? Why are other games on there for years and yet this one has to come down? Really annoying.

My buddy just texted me that YouTube blocked the Oklahoma State game! Seriously YouTube? Why are other games on there for years and yet this one has to come down? Really annoying.

Makes no sense. I’m watching the Auburn game right now.

Cuse beating Iverson in the Dome.
1996 Georgetown at Syracuse.

Holy freaking crap great find. I haven't even seen a highlight of this game since I watched it live in 8th grade.

Just tried to pull up the Manhattan game he posted and that was taken down too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom