How do we feel about our Special Teams coach!? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How do we feel about our Special Teams coach!?

I don’t think our kickers are even that bad. I think Oh might actually be decent other than not knowing what his range is. He makes clean contact with the ball in the limited kicks he’s had. He seems like he could have a reliable leg. Punting isn’t completely terrible either.

This seems to be all coaching and scheme.

Put 8 - 9 guys on the line. Max protection. No more of this 3 guys back. Or max protect to one side, roll to the other and rugby punt it.
Whether he stays for the remainder of the season or not, I am sure that that punt scheme will be changed. That was atrocious.

I’m not a smart man, but my little pea brain tells me punt protection blocking is not all that dissimilar from pass protection blocking. And most of it is timing.

I would put my starters from the OL on the punt protection line, and work with a clock. Do it to music if you have to. 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4. Whatever the timing is.

vince.gif

I’m not a smart man, but my little pea brain tells me punt protection blocking is not all that dissimilar from pass protection blocking. And most of it is timing.

I would put my starters from the OL on the punt protection line, and work with a clock. Do it to music if you have to. 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4. Whatever the timing is.
Just run the old simple blocking scheme we ran for 50 years. Line up ft to ft all across board and all block towards center and anyone who slips thru outside is blocked bye Fb. All this weird 3 yd gapscheme bullshit lets people right thru the line. This is basic ass football in my mind. This coach does have a family and i get it but as Fran has said, we are in the business of what have u done for me lately and that means this guy has gotta go.

Tired of Fran taking responsibility.
Fire him
I understand the diplomacy but from here on out, I won't blame special teams coach once, be wants to take responsibility, ST is 100% Fran Brown from here on out imo.

We have now won twice with multiple kicking mistakes like that. I dont know how thats even possible. Not only the scores it allowed but the energy it gave UNLV twice.

To be fair, only one punt was blocked. He didn't even have time to attempt the other one. He took off running so quickly that it looked like a called fake.

How do you feel about your team's execution?

I'm all for it...

Brown said he knew the question was coming postgame before it even fully left the reporter’s mouth.

“It’s bad,” he said. “We have to get it fixed. It’s not like it can’t be fixed. It was a mistake.”

Fran says he trusts Vollano. And then says he will be seeking outside help this week to fix punting. Tells you all you need to know.

This isn’t to defend Vollono because the results speak for themselves.

But I can’t help but wonder how much time we’re allotting to ST in practice. Is it the same as other schools?

These are basic things that every team can do. How do you screw it up this bad?

We were fortunate to win that game, should have won it more comfortably but we gift wrapped 14 points on the basics.

How do you feel about your team's execution?

I'm all for it...

Brown said he knew the question was coming postgame before it even fully left the reporter’s mouth.

“It’s bad,” he said. “We have to get it fixed. It’s not like it can’t be fixed. It was a mistake.”

He was hand picked by the head coach.
Th special teams Coach is taking all the heat...but some of those kids just didn't block a guy right in front on them...on the touchdown. the guy just beat his man...mano a mano!!! Is that bad coaching...or is it bad players? The Coach's job now, is to get the right player in there...or change the protection set up to hide our talent flaws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom