How do we like this class so far? | Syracusefan.com

How do we like this class so far?

Crusty

Living Legend
I am having a hard time evaluating this class other than the skill positions, with which we seem to have done quite well compared to recent years (and we might even do better). However, I haven't yet digested the JUCOs. Have we filled the needs in good fashion or are we just trying to get holes plugged as best we can? Nothing against JUCOs just wondering how well we have done so far.

Like it. Fills our immediate needs and opens up slots down the road rather than filling scholarships with plan B HS recruits. We most likely add Laray, Malik Brown, Alex Hayes, and if we land Ebo to go along with those 3 it will be a very good class.

it depends on how we finish. So far, not really happy. These jucos seem to be, and I could be wrong, fillers.

The remaining high schools guys will define the class. We need LaRay, Brown, Hayes. Ebo would just be icing. Marrone wants to win the ACC next year. The JUCOs fill big needs.

one thing about the juco's no matter what, they are better over the next 2 years than almost anyone we could have recruited. No Freshman that we could have gotten here was going to play on oline next year and 1-2 of the juco's might. they might have the upside but they can fill a void.

Its not beyond the possibility for this class to be great. Thus far I like what we have coming in. Two quality quarterbacks and a very good if not better running back. The JUCOs will fill in some spots capably. I'm not going to list them. If you don't already know,you don't care.

Qb - excited about allen
RB - solid get with edwards, great job if we pick up Laray smith
WR - uhhhh
TE - Great get in Provo - we've been doing well in TEs the last few years, but they always get hurt!
OL - very disappointing - this should be marrone's strength
DL- excited about wayne williams
DE- disappointed so far, malik brown could improve this
LBs- ehh, arciniega, and hodge could be productive
DBs - disappointed

Overall, was hoping for a bigger jump forward this year

overall decent class, i believe in recruiting jucos on both lines...we get them for 2 years and will hopefully immediately they plug into any gaps we have. WE need a big season next year, and these jucos will help faster than some high school frosh. If we start off well and have a solid, consistent season our recruiting should pick up. Once again we need to string winning seasons together for recruits to take notice and that has to start next year.

Brown must committed ... lets lock the others down baby!

Qb - excited about allen
WR - uhhhh
TE - Great get in Provo - we've been doing well in TEs the last few years, but they always get hurt!
DBs - disappointed

Disagree with your assessment of the linebackers. We got two athletic HS prospects who will undoubtedly redshirt, maximizing their long term value. The coaching staff also bolstered depth with two JUCOs who are fast.

This is a big infusion of depth / talent into what was a key area of roster need.

Qb - excited about allen
WR - uhhhh
DBs - disappointed

I'm totally fine with OL. They missed out on their top choice, i'm happy they didn't settle for a 2nd or 3rd option, that would have clogged up a scholarship for 4 or 5 years. Personally I really like the young talent we have on our OL. Miller was a good veteran pick up to add to the depth. I think it will be a strength next year. Arciniega was a huge pick up for LB, making us a solid 2 deep at each position. Another HS commit would be nice there, but overall happy they aren't reaching on B list HS kids

Devan carter blew out his knee this year. Some players make remarkable comebacks - others are never quite the same. I'll reserve my judgment on him. Kirkland, I'm not that impressed with his tape, or his size. Well see what he brings in camp. Miller looks a little too slow for me. We're really losing depth at the line quick. We've filled with big bodies, but well see how they mature with hicks

Devan carter blew out his knee this year. Some players make remarkable comebacks - others are never quite the same. I'll reserve my judgment on him. Kirkland, I'm not that impressed with his tape, or his size. Well see what he brings in camp. Miller looks a little too slow for me. We're really losing depth at the line quick. We've filled with big bodies, but well see how they mature with hicks

Arciniega is the big one to me. He potentially is 3 to play 3 and is a pretty imposing presence in the middle. If he stays healthy, I think we'll all be pretty satisfied with his career.

Qb - excited about allen
WR - uhhhh
DBs - disappointed

WR/DB - Why are you disappointed? We pulled all our offers to WRs once we saw what we had in Funderburk. We offered a very good JUCO safety that should be better than Olando Fisher was and could play from Day 1, and we didn't need any CBs.

OL - We have one very good OL that is 75% to come here (IMO) in Alex Hayes, a very good inside player in John Miller that will have a full spring ball to get acquainted, and two offers out to JUCO tackles with a ton of solid offers. As stopgaps that can step in right away and compete for Pugh/Chibane's jobs.

LB - Arciniega is a huge get, his tape is fantastic, he has great speed/lateral quickness for being 6'4'' 245 and we are lucky to have him in January. Will fill right in for Siriki. 3 year player. One very good LB coming in in Hodge, playing for Miami Central is always huge. One wild card in Carter. Nothing wrong with that.

Didn't blow out his knee. He broke his leg. There's a huge difference there.

Kirkland is OLB depth.

I like the JUCOs. They could take 5 every year just to shore up units, even two years before they thin out.

A guy like Zian Jones didn't show up on a lot of box scores but the depth and competition makes the whole unit better.

Very solid class. Really like both QB's. Edwards and Smith are excellant gets. The MLB is a true stud. If not for the concussion situation he would have ended up starting for Miami he could end up being a great one. The Juco DE look excellant as well. He will be in the rotation from day 1. OL is still up for grabs but i like Miller and i think that if we land the HS kid from GA along with one if not both of the other Jucos we are in good shape there. Williams is a monster and a huge get. I see as many as 4 of these kids starting next year and many of them on the two deep and contributing on Specials. I like the class give it a solid B

Good to know about carter . . . I also see your point about the wrs, but athletes are athletes and if they are available, you go after them. I hope you're right about Kelly. I really like reddish and Wayne Morgan coming up. Hoping for a big year from Keon lyn. We could use another safety and db. Wilkes has up and down games; he makes me nervous

I think that Arciniega starts from day one. Williams starts by mid year Miller wins Chibanes spot. Kelly takes over for Shamarko and Trejo is in rotation if not starting for Sharpe at DE. Oh and the kid from Tx just might have a chance at QB. Not a bad class

I think that Arciniega starts from day one. Williams starts by mid year Miller wins Chibanes spot. Kelly takes over for Shamarko and Trejo is in rotation if not starting for Sharpe at DE. Oh and the kid from Tx just might have a chance at QB. Not a bad class

The transfers gives the staff more immediate options and at least doesn't force redshirts and sophs on the field faster than they need to be if they aren't ready.

Good to know about carter . . . I also see your point about the wrs, but athletes are athletes and if they are available, you go after them. I hope you're right about Kelly. I really like reddish and Wayne Morgan coming up. Hoping for a big year from Keon lyn. We could use another safety and db. Wilkes has up and down games; he makes me nervous

Carter has been fully cleared for weeks. He's back to training full go with no restrictions. He's been lifting hard and up to 230lbs.

Didn't blow out his knee. He broke his leg. There's a huge difference there.

Kirkland is OLB depth.
Exactly...I think it was some sort of spiral fracture which can be serious but still better than knee reconstruction.

I thought Carter projected at the Mike. He has decent size already.

Think Foy might have the fast track for this spot but we'll see what happens. Don't count out Omari Palmer, either. This will be the second biggest competition in camp behind QB.

Think Foy might have the fast track for this spot but we'll see what happens. Don't count out Omari Palmer, either. This will be the second biggest competition in camp behind QB.
Agree this is going to be a good battle. I really like Omari love his attitude and hope that he wins the spot. Looks like three solid players providing good depth at G.

Well now, with Malik Brown committing the plot thickens!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom