How does the disintegration of PAC 12 impact | Syracusefan.com

How does the disintegration of PAC 12 impact

ACC asleep at wheel again. We should go after Oregon, Utah and WU and create a Pod in west and rename conference to APC…Or go after Big 12 teams like Baylor, TCU and Tech and have southern pod. Missing the boat and more importantly falling behind in arms race again

ACC asleep at wheel again. We should go after Oregon, Utah and WU and create a Pod in west and rename conference to APC…Or go after Big 12 teams like Baylor, TCU and Tech and have southern pod. Missing the boat and more importantly falling behind in arms race again
when you make the kind of cash that the Big 10 and SEC are making, you are going to be able to lure in the big names first, and then inevitably everyone else scrambles. this probably ends up being 3 conferences when all is said and done somewhere in the coming 5-6 years.

Are they? No one was ever going to come to ACC before the SEC and BIG finished out their expansion. It’s likely that everyone is waiting to hear their name called by them and then the rest will flow to ACC and the Big 12 as the PAC dissolves. The ACC needs to push ND to join, that’s what can keep the conference attractive.

ND will go to Big Ten. The ACC is likely to take some major hits. Cuse basketball belongs in the BE.

UCLA and USC are about to suffer the same fate as us in the ACC. Who wants to fly 3,000 miles once a week (6,000 rt). W. Coast athletes will not gravitate to a Mid-West culture that they look down on and Mid-West athletes are not going to flock to USC or UCLA.

ND will go to Big Ten. The ACC is likely to take some major hits. Cuse basketball belongs in the BE.

UCLA and USC are about to suffer the same fate as us in the ACC. Who wants to fly 3,000 miles once a week (6,000 rt). W. Coast athletes will not gravitate to a Mid-West culture that they look down on and Mid-West athletes are not going to flock to USC or UCLA.
It's over for the ACC. Clemson and FSU to the SEC, UNC and UVA to the B10 along w/ some combination of Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and UW. Money ruins everything.

I'm fine if we aren't part of the imminent super conference(s) for football. I think the end game is football breaking away from the NCAA and the overall structure of basketball remaining the same. Just some weird conference alignment because of what will happen with football.

We will never compete at the highest level in football. Play in whatever the second tier ends up being there and go back to the Big East for everything else. The basketball program would be fine long term and the football program can compete with smaller state and private schools if that is how things end up.

This will be interesting … and probably painful. Could the ACC attract some power teams with good hoops and bad Football? Kansas would be intriguing since their conference is hurting. Or the two conferences merge? I do like Cuse going to the BE since I care not a whit for football. Or ACC and BE merge though that does nothing for football.

I am unsure if anything is going to happen with the ACC membership in the near future. The GoR clause in the contracts would mean that the effective cost of leaving the conference would be north of $500 mil. Or, so I've been told. I don't doubt it. And, that's with the current media contracts. It could end up being more. I don't know how the contracts are written, but I imagine it would take at least a majority of schools to vote a change (maybe, more), and, if the target membership of both the Big Ten and the SEC is 20 schools (as I have seen suggested), there isn't any way that eight ACC schools could be absorbed into those conferences. Finally, I have been told that part of Notre Dame's agreement for its limited membership in the ACC is that, should it join a conference as a full member while that agreement is in effect, it has to be the ACC. I have a suspicion that the penalties for their going to the Big Ten would be just as draconian as the penalties for others leaving the conference. The current ACC agreements go through the 2035 seasons, so I don't expect much to happen before 2036. Or, close to it.

Last edited:
I am unsure if anything is going to happen with the ACC membership in the near future. The GoR clause in the contracts would mean that the effective cost of leaving the conference would be north of $500 mil. Or, so I've been told. I don't doubt it. And, that's with the current media contracts. It could end up being more. I don't know how the contracts are written, but I imagine it would take at least a majority of schools to vote a change (maybe, more), and, if the target membership of both the Big Ten and the SEC is 20 schools (as I have seen suggested), there isn't any way that eight ACC schools could be absorbed into those conferences. Finally, I have been told that part of Notre Dame's agreement for its limited membership in the ACC is that, should it join a conference as a full member while that agreement is in effect, it has to be the ACC. I have a suspicion that the penalties for their going to the Big Ten would be just as draconian as the penalties for others leaving the conference. The current ACC agreements go through the 2035 seasons, so I don't expect much to happen before 2036. Or, close to it.
The difference between 100 million, and 40 is 60 million per year. 14 ÷ 60 = 840 million over 14 years.
ESPN is in the process of getting rid of the ACC. The ACC will get farther behind every year, the Mouse isn't going to increase ACC revenues. They will keep giving more to the SEC, and less to the ACC when ND leaves.

The SEC and B1G wanted a 12 team playoff. The PAC 12 and ACC voted to kill that and keep the current 4 team set up. So the SEC and B1G are killing off the PAC 12 and ACC. They will get their 12 team playoff. More teams will leave the PAC for B1G (Oregon, Washington). Have to believe the SEC has designs on Clemson for sure maybe FSU or Miami. The remnants of the PAC, Big 12, ACC will reconfigure but will be subordinate to the SEC & B1G super conferences. With a 12 team playoff, ND will remain independent.

The difference between 100 million, and 40 is 60 million per year. 14 ÷ 60 = 840 million over 14 years.
ESPN is in the process of getting rid of the ACC. The ACC will get farther behind every year, the Mouse isn't going to increase ACC revenues. They will keep giving more to the SEC, and less to the ACC when ND leaves.
Strike a deal with one of the streamers while it’s hot. If ESPN is trying to get rid of the ACC, then the conference should go to Netflix and say “look, your subs are dropping and you’re missing a critical piece. Disney has ESPN, peacock has premier league, Amazon has NFL, Apple TV has MLB, you need something to stay ahead and that is a live sports offering. Will they do it? Probably not, but it’d be stupid not to explore it.

Of course, the NCAA could possibly change the membership rules to eliminate any teams in conferences of greater than 12 teams

We aren't getting close to the other leagues in FB.

Kansas and Arizona could keep the ACC on top in hoops by a decent margin.

I want to go after Underwood and Oats but if they say no and there isn't a clear cut external candidate ready to win big I go with Hop over an assistant.

The SEC and B1G wanted a 12 team playoff. The PAC 12 and ACC voted to kill that and keep the current 4 team set up. So the SEC and B1G are killing off the PAC 12 and ACC. They will get their 12 team playoff. More teams will leave the PAC for B1G (Oregon, Washington). Have to believe the SEC has designs on Clemson for sure maybe FSU or Miami. The remnants of the PAC, Big 12, ACC will reconfigure but will be subordinate to the SEC & B1G super conferences. With a 12 team playoff, ND will remain independent.
USC and UCLA were headed to the B1G regardless of the format of the CFP.

This may sound crazy, strike that, it is crazy, but at this point we need to go all in on basketball, our football is a dead brand and it’s been dead for awhile. At the end of the day, UNC, Duke, and countless other schools are not going to have homes, we need to band together with these schools and at least get some piece of a pie.

Last edited:
And then the conferences flip their middle finger and there goes the ncaa. The ncaa needs the teams more than the teams need the ncaa.
No. The two big ones go and every one else settles in

I'm fine if we aren't part of the imminent super conference(s) for football. I think the end game is football breaking away from the NCAA and the overall structure of basketball remaining the same. Just some weird conference alignment because of what will happen with football.

We will never compete at the highest level in football. Play in whatever the second tier ends up being there and go back to the Big East for everything else. The basketball program would be fine long term and the football program can compete with smaller state and private schools if that is how things end up.

Well, we had better do the best we can between now and 2025 in terms of facilities improvements. Because once the New World Order arrives, we are not likely to see this kind of money from a TV contract again.

This may sound crazy, strike that, it is crazy, but at this point we need to go all in on basketball, our football is a dead brand and it’s been dead for awhile. At the end of the day, UNC, Duke, and countless other schools are not going to have homes, we need to band together with these schools and at least get some piece of a pie.

I think we have about 2-3 years to get to bowls and win them. If we can't do that - like, right away - we will be toast. The window is closing on getting to the next level / trying to stay relevant in the long term, and hopefully remain a member of the 3rd or 4th best league, hopefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom